What will the gophers record be at the end of the 2013?

What will the Gophers record be for the 2013 season?

• 3-9

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • 4-8

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • 5-7

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • 6-6

Votes: 25 15.8%
  • 7-5

Votes: 56 35.4%
  • 8-4

Votes: 46 29.1%
  • 9-3

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • 10-2

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • 11-1

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 12-0

Votes: 5 3.2%

• Total voters

I get what you're saying, but I'm getting a little tired of the "tough schedule" excuse. We play in the Big Ten. When will the schedule get easier -- in 2014 and 2015 when Ohio State and TCU are added? Eventually we have to start passing some teams up. When is that supposed to start?
Well, let's consider the point differentials last year in the games we lost. The second score adjusts for the standard three point difference were it played on a neutral field.

Iowa (18/15)
Northwestern (8/11)
Wisconsin (25/22)
Michigan (22/25)
Nebraska (24/21)
Michigan State (16/19)

Those are some pretty big gaps to overcome in one year, and in order to win 8 games we'll have to beat at least two of those teams and sweep the other remaining six (and Penn State is basically in this class). People who are seriously expecting 8 wins I think are forgetting just how thoroughly outclassed the team looked last year against quality opponents. Progress was made last year in beating bad to mediocre opponents, but the next big jump is far more daunting and will probably take more time.

Well, let's consider the point differentials last year in the games we lost. The second score adjusts for the standard three point difference were it played on a neutral field.

Iowa (18/15)
Northwestern (8/11)
Wisconsin (25/22)
Michigan (22/25)
Nebraska (24/21)
Michigan State (16/19)

Those are some pretty big gaps to overcome in one year, and in order to win 8 games we'll have to beat at least two of those teams and sweep the other remaining six (and Penn State is basically in this class). People who are seriously expecting 8 wins I think are forgetting just how thoroughly outclassed the team looked last year against quality opponents. Progress was made last year in beating bad to mediocre opponents, but the next big jump is far more daunting and will probably take more time.

Good break down Prof

Slow down ya move too fast.

OK, so I am a little hyper for the Gophers/Rebels game. So, what ya say...about a meet at Mabel Murphy's in Fergus Falls for those of us out here in the hinterland who can't make it to TCF?

OK, so I am a little hyper for the Gophers/Rebels game. So, what ya say...about a meet at Mabel Murphy's in Fergus Falls for those of us out here in the hinterland who can't make it to TCF?

Games are at home without people 'visiting'.

You've got to make the morning last.

Iowa (18/15)
Northwestern (8/11)
Wisconsin (25/22)
Michigan (22/25)
Nebraska (24/21)
Michigan State (16/19)

Great post Gopherprof. A realistic view of where this program is at year 3 under Jerry Kill and how far the gap still is between the Gophers and the better teams within the conference.

Iowa (18/15)
Northwestern (8/11)
Wisconsin (25/22)
Michigan (22/25)
Nebraska (24/21)
Michigan State (16/19)

You make some valid points.

Iowa (18/15)
Northwestern (8/11)
Wisconsin (25/22)
Michigan (22/25)
Nebraska (24/21)
Michigan State (16/19)

I don't dispute any of that. However, that explanation is not "we have a tough schedule." That explanation is "we're still not very good."

If we could beat Michigan, we could sweep the table. Please don't wake me up just yet. I'm having a vision here!

I don't dispute any of that. However, that explanation is not "we have a tough schedule." That explanation is "we're still not very good."
I'm not sure why it can't be both. We're not a very good team relative to our schedule. We're a pretty good team relative to where we were 2-3 years ago when we were losing to Dakota teams and New Mexico State.

Put another way, we have a tough schedule for us to achieve 8 wins, but considering that's something we haven't accomplished in 10 years, I would agree that it's not exclusive to just this year by any means.

8-4 will be tough, but not unrealistic. We have a good chance at going 4-0 in the non-conference slate and while the conference schedule is tough we have three trophy games at home. Not saying we win all of them, but I don't think beating Iowa and Wisconsin(its about time) is UNREALISTIC That gives a good shot at two more. Plus, it is about flippin' time!

8-4 will be tough, but not unrealistic. We have a good chance at going 4-0 in the non-conference slate and while the conference schedule is tough we have three trophy games at home. Not saying we win all of them, but I don't think beating Iowa and Wisconsin(its about time) is realistic. That gives a good shot at two more. Plus, it is about flippin' time!

Are you sure you don't want to edit that?

Are you sure you don't want to edit that?

I thought that too, 19...the comment "...I don't think beating Iowa and Wisconsin(its about time) is realistic." did not seem to convey the message that Denver was trying to say.

8-4 will be tough, but not unrealistic. We have a good chance at going 4-0 in the non-conference slate and while the conference schedule is tough we have three trophy games at home. Not saying we win all of them, but I don't think beating Iowa and Wisconsin(its about time) is UNREALISTIC That gives a good shot at two more. Plus, it is about flippin' time!

All roads lead to beating Iowa (granted we'd gone 4-0 non-com). After that, the Gophers will have to fight tooth and nail for three more victories. Is it doable? I think it is within the realm of possibilities.

I'm not sure why it can't be both. We're not a very good team relative to our schedule. We're a pretty good team relative to where we were 2-3 years ago when we were losing to Dakota teams and New Mexico State.

Put another way, we have a tough schedule for us to achieve 8 wins, but considering that's something we haven't accomplished in 10 years, I would agree that it's not exclusive to just this year by any means.

You're right -- it might be both. And eight games will be a reach.

As I mentioned higher up in the thread, I'll be very disappointed if we don't hit seven wins. We've had two conference wins in three consecutive years (and two of those seasons were miserable) and I do think we've improved enough to get that elusive third conference win (and beat San Jose State). To me, that's the basement. I'm hopeful that we also get that "signature win" that Kill has been talking about, so that's how I'm getting to eight wins. I admit, my optimism always gets the best of me this time of year.

Iowa, Northwestern, Indiana and Penn State are teams I think we can play with -- Gary DiNardo's "matchup" games. Will we win all four? I doubt it. But at some point you have to start crawling over some teams ahead of you by beating them on the field. I say we win three of these and find an upset somewhere. That's how teams turn the corner, and I'm predicting it happens this year.

As I mentioned higher up in the thread, I'll be very disappointed if we don't hit seven wins. We've had two conference wins in three consecutive years (and two of those seasons were miserable) and I do think we've improved enough to get that elusive third conference win (and beat San Jose State). To me, that's the basement. I'm hopeful that we also get that "signature win" that Kill has been talking about, so that's how I'm getting to eight wins. I admit, my optimism always gets the best of me this time of year.

Iowa, Northwestern, Indiana and Penn State are teams I think we can play with -- Gary DiNardo's "matchup" games. Will we win all four? I doubt it. But at some point you have to start crawling over some teams ahead of you by beating them on the field. I say we win three of these and find an upset somewhere. That's how teams turn the corner, and I'm predicting it happens this year.

This is my take as well. Line play, defense, and hopefully QB play should all be improved enough to handle the 4 NC opponents, even SJSU (at home, with them fighting a time difference, new coach, etc). I wouldn't be SHOCKED (though still disappointed) if we lost to them. But I'm penciling a win.

If we stay reasonably healthy (particularly our O-Line compared to last year), we should be able to play with Iowa, PSU, Northwestern, and Indiana. We spotted NW 2 TDs last year and still played close. We should be able to pick up 2 wins out of those 4 (with my best bet for being vs Iowa), and then a third coming from one of them or stealing a game vs. MSU, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Michigan (that is the order of likelihood I would put them in). 3-5 in the BT is nothing to celebrate, to be sure. 7 wins is still barely bowl eligible, but with this year's schedule it would be an improvement and at least fun to watch. It would also mean we are (hopefully) competitive in the losses.

I don't believe Penn St and Northwestern are not match-up games and I doubt DiNardo would think they are either.
Northwestern won 10 games last year, return 15 starters and have beaten Minnesota 5 out of 6 times. Northwestern is a lot better than people are giving them credit for.

I don't believe Penn St and Northwestern are not match-up games and I doubt DiNardo would think they are either.
Northwestern won 10 games last year, return 15 starters and have beaten Minnesota 5 out of 6 times. Northwestern is a lot better than people are giving them credit for.

Not a big deal but didn't you mean to say "I believe Penn St and Northwestern are not match-up games and I doubt DiNardo would think they are either." Then on the other hand I may be just confused.:confused:

In our last 5 losses to Northwestern, the margin of defeat was 8, 15, 1, 7, and 1. For an average of -6.4. We play close with them every year, we've just been on the losing end. We return 16 starters from last year (to their 15). I have no doubt Fitzgerald will field a team that plays better in 2013 than it did in 2012, but improvements will be marginal, IMO. He consistently maximizes the talent he has and is another year in to his system. The flip side is that the rosters he fields will likely never bust in to the type of raw talent you'd get at a Michigan, Nebraska, even (arguably) Wisconsin. If Kill improves the team > Fitzgerald improves his, this game is a toss-up in my opinion.

Not a big deal but didn't you mean to say "I believe Penn St and Northwestern are not match-up games and I doubt DiNardo would think they are either." Then on the other hand I may be just confused.:confused:

Yes, what I meant to say was:

"I don't believe Penn St and Northwestern are match-up games..."

I voted 6-6, but 7-5 is very possible. 80% of us have the Gophers going 6-6, 7-5, or 8-4. Its very important the Gophers start 5-0. If they lose any of those first five games the casual fans will say "same old Gophers"

The proof will be in the puddin', Magic. Do NOT tell even casual fans what they will say. Maybe you will say that, most won't. But then again, it just might be the "expert" Gopher fan will say that.

I voted 6-6, but 7-5 is very possible. 80% of us have the Gophers going 6-6, 7-5, or 8-4. Its very important the Gophers start 5-0. If they lose any of those first five games the casual fans will say "same old Gophers"

I say it breaks down this way:

5-7 or worse = Kill having a blazing hot seat entering the 2014 season with the need for major improvement in order to save his job
6-6 with 2 conf wins = pretty warm seat with the expectation of at least 3 conf wins in 2014 in order to keep job
6-6 with 3 conf wins = There will be griping with the fan base but as long as the non-conf loss is competitive the 3 conf wins will keep Kill's seat cool
7-5 = fanbase and administration feeling like things are headed in the right direction
8-4 = major step forward
9-3 and up = obviously if this happens fans and administration will be beside themselves with joy

Certainly there are degrees within all this (who you beat and who you lose to, how competitive the game was). But going only on the final result this is how I see it for what it's worth (which I know is very little).

Bump ... how's your prediction doing? So far, although I had us pegged for 6, I missed on SJSU, Iowa, NW and Nebraska. Here's hoping I hit on Indiana and Penn State :)

6-6, although we look improved.

UNLV - W
NMSU - W
W.I. - W
SJSU - L
Iowa - W
@ Mich - L
@ NW - L
Neb - L
@ Ind. - W
PSU - W
Wisc - L
@ Mich St - L

I don't know how I missed it back in August, but I didn't vote in this poll. If I had, I would have voted 7-5.

I just cheated and voted 8-4.

I didn't vote but my expectation was 7-5, and I didn't really give us any chance to get to 8 wins. I thought if we got to 7 it would be by the skin of our teeth, and I certainly didn't think we'd get there with a loss to Iowa.

My expectation is now 8 wins and a hopeful Gator Bowl invite, but I will still be content if we get to 7.

8-4

UNLV - W
NMSU - W
W.I. - W
SJSU - W

Iowa - W
@ Mich - L
@ NW - L
Neb - L

@ Ind. - W
PSU - W
Wisc - W
@ Mich St - L

Very optimistic prediction on my part. 12-0 would be great, but realistically, I think this is best case scenario and is what I'm hoping for the most. Can't wait to get the season started! :)

I was perfect in the non-con. But, B1G Ten play has proved to be a little tougher for my prediciton. Hopefully I am get at least 2/3 wins right on the remaining games from here on out. That would be an awesome season. :)

I am cautiously optimistic on our next two games v. Indiana and PSU. So, I guess we'll see.

Top Bottom