What will it take to crack the Cretin pipeline?

Statistics show that over 60% of high school graduates choose to attend a college outside of their commuting area.

Link? If true, I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that many high school graduates don't have a quality college inside of their commuting area.

Why do they do that when most of them can save money by staying closer to home?

A better education? Exposure to a different style of living? Any other innumerable reason?

Why wouldn't high school athletes choose to go away to school for the same reasons especially since it won't cost them anything?

I moved 300 miles away from home to attend college. I didn't have to worry about the ability of my parents to come and watch me sit in lectures on a weekly basis for 12 or more weeks every fall.

Funny thing to point 3 is that following grad school many employers from the MPLS area that came to campus warned potential non-Minnesotans that the Twin Cities was highly parochial as well. Having a few friends in various HR departments at some of the bigger employers many exit interviewees that are from out-of-state mention the fact that they find it difficult to break into professional or social scenes because everyone in this community already has such tight connections because they're 'born and raised' Minnesotans. Employers in Boston also apparently have trouble with this.
I imagine compared to the East or West coasts it is, but it has nothing on Wisconsin.

Top Bottom