What was the most important play or plays of the game?

MNSpaniel

Reaction score
I didn't get to watch the start of the game but found out later about the safety getting tossed after the first play. That may have been the play of the game. From what I hear about him is that he is kind of the glue that holds that defense together ... the QB of the defense. So I think that and Wally's interception have to rank right up there.

Pick to open second half

honestly just getting point on opening drive was huge. So not one play but if you come out and go 3 and out there is a chance the mind set creeps in that you can’t move the ball. Wisconsin defense so good this year.

Wisconsin came out and got points but making them go 15 plus really said something.

Not a ton of HUGE plays but a ton of little ones.
every time the team pass interfered but responded on the drive and didn’t give up touchdowns

Pick to open second half

If I had to pick one play, that would have to be it. Really appreciate Walley for coming here.

What didn't happen after the other pick of the game (Wisconsin's pick 6) was also critical. Tanner didn't become unglued and the coaches didn't become petrified of throwing the ball. Tanner was really solid after that; 12.4 yards per attempt is great. I'll give Wisconsin's defense some credit for making our coaches realize that we couldn't win without throwing the ball for significant yardage.

The Badger long FG doinking off the crossbar was big in the 4th Quarter. Just thrilled when I saw the ball bouncing back past the goal line. At that point I thought it was going to take something really crazy for our defense to give up a TD to tie or go behind.

I didn't get to watch the start of the game but found out later about the safety getting tossed after the first play. That may have been the play of the game. From what I hear about him is that he is kind of the glue that holds that defense together ... the QB of the defense. So I think that and Wally's interception have to rank right up there.
I feel that the Gophers didn’t win through offense, they won through defense. So while that was an important play, I go with Walley’s INT, which was a huge momentum changer.

I will also go with something less obvious as a 1b to Walley’s 1a: the refs changing from absurdly pro-Wisconsin in game-changing ways in the first half to even or possibly pro-Gophers in second half. For those who continue to argue bad reffing doesn’t really matter in game outcomes, this game was example #7,806,645,210 that they definitely do.

The biggest play is the football gods aligning the stars in the Gophers’ favor.

The Gopher Defense shutting down and limiting Wisconsin’s Offense to field goals.

The Gophers cranking up the passing game.

This bodes well for next season with Mo Ibrahim returning.

Really liked how they used big ol’ Brevyn Spann Ford. That kid is legit. I also liked how they ran more patterns playing to their strengths. I’m a little worried to say it, but it looks like they realized that and did that the last two games (because dang that would be awesome!)

Did they run the WC with Kramer once? I'd be okay with putting that to rest. It seemed like an entirely different offense.

Did they run the WC with Kramer once? I'd be okay with putting that to rest. It seemed like an entirely different offense.

I don't recall seeing that. Maybe Kramer was hurting?

The pick really turned the "what's going to happen?" atmosphere for some fans who haven't bought in into .. "OMG THEY"RE GOING TO DO IT".
Plus they immediately cashed in with a TD. Had a quick hitting pass completion to Spann-Ford then a nice stroll by Thomas into pay dirt!

If they would have had to settle for another FG there, not sure they would have had the confidence to finish it off.

Really liked how they used big ol’ Brevyn Spann Ford. That kid is legit.

I've only been a dedicated Minnesota football fan since the 2013 season but I believe that BSF is the only Gopher tight end I've seen leap over a defender while running after a catch.

I think it’s more situational. Wisconsin front 7 is probably the best we’ve seen so probably didn’t make sense.

I’d like to see the outside option toss between Kramer and a WR or RB with a TE blocking to take out a Defender.

Really liked how they used big ol’ Brevyn Spann Ford. That kid is legit. I also liked how they ran more patterns playing to their strengths. I’m a little worried to say it, but it looks like they realized that and did that the last two games (because dang that would be awesome!)
It helped that except for the bad luck deflection pick 6, Tanner had a very nice game. If he had played like he did against BGSU, Ill, Iowa, we’d be having a different discussion today. Instead, he looked like 2019 TM yesterday.

It helped that except for the bad luck deflection pick 6, Tanner had a very nice game. If he had played like he did against BGSU, Ill, Iowa, we’d be having a different discussion today. Instead, he looked like 2019 TM yesterday.
Helped by a much better set of play calls and mostly good pass protection.

Top Bottom