What the Gophers student section thinks of Bo Ryan

I know this is the minority sentiment, but I thought both the "F*** Bo Ryan" and the "F*** the Badgers" cheers were tacky and embarrassing for a big time program. I'm willing to bet that Tubby loved the passion but wasn't at all comfortable with the content.

I know this is the minority sentiment, but I thought both the "F*** Bo Ryan" and the "F*** the Badgers" cheers were tacky and embarrassing for a big time program. I'm willing to bet that Tubby loved the passion but wasn't at all comfortable with the content.

The students should enjoy it while they can, soon they will be silenced like the hockey student section has been over the past few years.

The students should enjoy it while they can, soon they will be silenced like the hockey student section has been over the past few years.

Doubt it. Especially a sport that in the past was lucky to get a few thousand students to go.

The Barnyard is on a bit of a decline, but they're still more organized than the hockey students have ever been.

I was there and some of it happened after the Badger fans there started with the "let's go badgers" chant and the students used F*** the Badgers to cover it up. That's one reason why I don't like seeing Badger fans at the barn.

Maybe The Veneer Of "Minnesota Nice"

at long last is cracking. Rick Mons, I'm sure you're a great guy, but you (and not a few Gopher fans) need to grow a pair. This was spontaneous upwelling by the students to drown out Badger fans, and in response to the once-again-over-the-top and apoplectic histrionics of Bo "How Dare You Make A Call Against Us" Ryan.

As to use of the F-bomb by students of a "big time program", I submit the following for your consumption.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7jlYW8gtaw

Doubt it. Especially a sport that in the past was lucky to get a few thousand students to go.

It won't matter, Maturi likes his clean language and "respect" for opponents. The hockey student section in the 90's were incredibly organized and vocal, then they split the sections and everything started getting crappy.

Bo Ryan is a dick.

+100

I was at the game and it was almost as entertaining watching Bo throw fits after every call as it was watching the Gophers kick some Badger tail!! I don't think there is another team or coach in the nation that would get that treatment from our student section, but there isn't a bigger whiny biatch coach in the nation that deserved it like Bo did.

Just my view coming from a very dedicated member of another student section in the B10, so take it for what its worth. I understand why the Barnyard did what they did, but I have to disagree with chanting "F*$# Bo Ryan" or "F@#$ the Badgers" at a basketball game. I think it was completely unneeded and classless. Now I'm not going to call for the Barnyards heads for the chant simply because they are college students and that what college students do, but I would expect more out of students at any B10 university.

In the Paint Crew we really try to not use profanity the only real case we use is "B@#$ S@$#" but that only comes after multiple bad calls. If its a singular occurence not a big deal send a email tell members not to swear, now if it becomes issue that happens often the there is a problem.

Rick Mons, I'm sure you're a great guy, but you (and not a few Gopher fans) need to grow a pair.
Spermo,

I post under my own name, take responsibility for what I write and express what obviously is a minority position. You post under a pseudonym and AFAIK don't say anything controversial. Please don't presume to lecture me about "growing a pair."

As to your link: wow, let's all aspire to be as classy as Wisconsin students.
sarcasm.gif

Rick Mons, I'm sure you're a great guy, but you (and not a few Gopher fans) need to grow a pair....

As to use of the F-bomb by students of a "big time program", I submit the following for your consumption.

The Wisconsin students in that video looked like a bunch of jackasses. So let's aspire to that.

Nice logic.

Really takes a big assed pair to chant "Fu&k Bo Ryan" doesn't it? I'm so impressed. Wish I could be that manly and creative at the same time.

Really takes a big assed pair to chant "Fu&k Bo Ryan" doesn't it? I'm so impressed. Wish I could be that manly and creative at the same time.

You nailed it on the head. The whole point of the chant was to look manly and creative while hopefully drawing the ire of some condescending message board posters. It's college basketball, not a Congressional hearing. So what, we yelled an obscene chant at a guy who makes a living lobbing much more obscene insults towards any official within earshot? Better make a bigger deal out of that than the fact that we stomped our biggest rivals and had the best atmosphere we've had in the Barn for the entire season.

You nailed it on the head. The whole point of the chant was to look manly and creative while hopefully drawing the ire of some condescending message board posters. It's college basketball, not a Congressional hearing. So what, we yelled an obscene chant at a guy who makes a living lobbing much more obscene insults towards any official within earshot? Better make a bigger deal out of that than the fact that we stomped our biggest rivals and had the best atmosphere we've had in the Barn for the entire season.

+100

please just ignore the "prudes" of the board.

I like your post SOTV. Well-stated. Seriously. Still think you can come up with something better than "Fu&k Bo Ryan," but not a bad post.

And prude I am not. I assure you of that.

I have also never been considered a prude, and have probably yelled "Fu*k Bo Ryan" or some equivalent at my TV as much as anyone on here. That said, I admit to being a bit uncomfortable when I heard the phrase being chanted audibly on national TV. It's not that I disagree with the sentiment or the language, it's that I know others will (including in the national media), and their coverage will reflect badly on the U and Gopher hoops.

But, I also loved seeing the enthusiasm of the students for once. I worked for the team in the mid-00s and hated the pall at the Barn in those years. The game against Bucky in '05 was the only time I felt that chill from the crowd while sitting behind the bench. I admit to only being able to attend one non-conference game myself this year, but how 'bout a little consistency from the Barnyard?!

Buck Fo Ryan

I am situated opposite end of the Barn, but I heard...

Buck Fo Ryan
Buck the Fadgers

Sounded good to me.

Oh, Lord

Spermo,

I post under my own name, take responsibility for what I write and express what obviously is a minority position. You post under a pseudonym and AFAIK don't say anything controversial. Please don't presume to lecture me about "growing a pair."

As to your link: wow, let's all aspire to be as classy as Wisconsin students.
sarcasm.gif

I wasn't trying to lecture anyone. Perhaps I should have said "bow your neck" or "stiffen your spine/upper lip". We should not aspire to a race to the bottom, either. However, I am glad our fans - for once, and finally - dished out a small helping of what is heaped on us/our coaches whenever we go on the road (I've been to every away venue, and live in one of the 'enemy' camps).

I also take responsibility for what I post, and while not reaching the "flame" threshold, I ruffle a few feathers now and again it appears. Also, it is a little ironic that your response kind of, sort of, made my point.

Anyway, I enjoy your posts typically and our triflings over this matter are part and parcel of why these message boards exist.

Finding the common ground . . . Go Gophers!

Michelle Tafoya's Tweets from Thursday, I tend to agree with her and Rick Mon's. Keep up the energy, cut the swearing, you'll have little kids too someday.

bo Ryan gets t'd up. he's never seen a call he can't gripe about.
7:51 PM Feb 18th from API
student sections that incorporate profanity into their cheers, especially on national TV, need to realize they make their schools look lame!
7:43 PM Feb 18th from API

gophers students profane cheer against Bo Ryan is classless. this is not Madison, kids.
7:40 PM Feb 18th from API

I wasn't trying to lecture anyone. Perhaps I should have said "bow your neck" or "stiffen your spine/upper lip". We should not aspire to a race to the bottom, either. However, I am glad our fans - for once, and finally - dished out a small helping of what is heaped on us/our coaches whenever we go on the road (I've been to every away venue, and live in one of the 'enemy' camps).

You are joking, right? The best example I can give is Duke. I hate Duke. But their fans and students are great, and in the 50+ games I have seen them play on TV they never have used what anyone could call classless cheers.

Michelle Tafoya's Tweets from Thursday, I tend to agree with her and Rick Mon's. Keep up the energy, cut the swearing, you'll have little kids too someday.

student sections that incorporate profanity into their cheers, especially on national TV, need to realize they make their schools look lame!

gophers students profane cheer against Bo Ryan is classless. this is not Madison, kids.

Great post. The sad part is; I'm sure Bo wasn't offended but a lot of Minnesota Gopher fans were offended. What did you accomplish other than your personal satisfaction.

The subject came up on the Sports Huddle. A caller asked why Maturi or someone didn't go over and stop them. Sid and Dave both said it may have gotten worse.
Dave mentioned that it happens at Wisconsin especially in hockey but that does not make it right. Dave also said outside of that the Barnyard did a great job. Thought they could be more creative than the Bo chant.

Call me crazy here, but I think the Barnyard could have exuded just as much energy cheering for their own team, as opposed to trying to prove some point by chanting against the other. I hate Bo Ryan as much as the next guy, but count me in as someone who thought the chants got pretty old, pretty quick.

When I helped run the Barnyard very few years ago, we found a way not to stoop down to Wisconsin's level by, as I said, cheering for the Gophers rather than cursing at the opposition...I think it can be done again. The officials, however, are fair game ;)

what does she mean by this is not madison?????????????? That everyone isn't blackedout drunk so people will remember this cheer later?

I liked it, screw wisconsin and it was the ultimate insult and it was well delivered. BRAVO!!

When I helped run the Barnyard very few years ago, we found a way not to stoop down to Wisconsin's level by, as I said, cheering for the Gophers rather than cursing at the opposition...I think it can be done again. The officials, however, are fair game ;)

We also didn't exactly have a student section a few years ago until we got Tubby.

Top Bottom