What tempo is best suited to our current Gophers team?

Given the choice—would you increase, decrease or leave our pace of play as it currently is?

• we should increase our tempo

• we should decrease our tempo

• Gopher's current pace of play should stay the same & best capitalizes on this roster's makeup

Results are only viewable after voting.

bhk3yx

Reaction score
Based on the attributes of our current roster, what tempo is best suited to our unique strengths & weaknesses.

In an opportunistic tempered way, I think this team should increase the tempo, as they seem to feel most comfortable when playing faster. That said, they have to rebound to run, and you have to be OK with a few more turnovers here and there. We have the bodies to rotate in and out.

They seem to play better when playing up tempo. They play very unselfishly. Sometimes they make too many extra passes when under the basket, imo. They get in trouble when they slow down and play one on one. One thing I noticed rewatching the last game, that I think will cause some issues against better teams, is when they get stuck and make the long cross court passes. Payne does it a lot out of the post.

They seem to play better when playing up tempo. They play very unselfishly. Sometimes they make too many extra passes when under the basket, imo. They get in trouble when they slow down and play one on one. One thing I noticed rewatching the last game, that I think will cause some issues against better teams, is when they get stuck and make the long cross court passes. Payne does it a lot out of the post.
Agreed, this is not a very physical team, in particular the backcourt of Mitchell, Hawkins, and Christie are not physical. And that will hurt them mostly on defense when they try to defend big physical guards (Ohio State, a host of others). But they also don't have any guys other than Payne and Garcia who can post up and score down low-JOJ is making some strides but not there yet. So they do bog down quite a bit when in their half court offense. They do have some shooters, and the best way to free them up is to take advantage of getting the ball up the court in a hurry with Hawkins and Mitchell. Other observations:
  • It's sad to see, but Ihnen has disappeared, and it appears to be 100% a confidence issue. they could really use his defense and rebounding, even if he doesn't provide much offense
  • I hope the coaches are encouraging Payne to take some more chances with the ball in his hands-his number of shot attempts is way too low, and the only way he's going to gain confidence in his ability to score in different ways is to do it. And that will help the half court offense
  • As was clearly stated during the broadcast and in the paper, JOJ can be an inside force if he continues the junkyard dog mentality he had vs Nebraska-they need it
  • Hawkins is averaging 6 assists/game, with 3.2 turnovers-although most of those stats are outside of the Big Ten, they can live with that-his connection with Payne is improving, and since Payne can catch "anything thrown close to him" its a good combination
  • Mitchell showed he can contribute as a scorer and can get his shot off-they need another scorer desperately
Some things to be positive about, and so much more that is needed..

Run, baby, Run. Even after made baskets, we need to push the ball before the defense sets up. I'm still wondering where that motion based offense Ben ran in his first year went to.

Uptempo suits most of this team. Payne 's ability to post and score shouldn't be ignored as we up the pace. We will need him when we get stuck in half court games. We have multiple ball handles, long athletic forwards, and decent spot up shooters. In uptempo games, teams are less likely to use their guard size advantage over Hawkins and Mitchell, like Ohio st did.

Uptempo suits most of this team. Payne 's ability to post and score shouldn't be ignored as we up the pace. We will need him when we get stuck in half court games. We have multiple ball handles, long athletic forwards, and decent spot up shooters. In uptempo games, teams are less likely to use their guard size advantage over Hawkins and Mitchell, like Ohio st did.

Think it depends a bit on opponent.

This team would get smacked by talented teams that already play up tempo. But trying to speed up teams not as customed to temp to mitigate a talent gap is a good idea.

Half court offense seems to be an issue so I’d say up the tempo. Might get run out of the gym some nights but it’ll benefit them long term and could help this season. I don’t know what Johnson wants to do. The team lacks identity still. Similar to how Pitino never really seemed to have a grand plan. Just added pieces and hoped they fit.

Johnson less “add pieces and hope they fit” but still no real identity.

There's one of those 10 second clips with the posts practicing that pass.

Top Bottom