What Should the Gophers Strategy be for QB in the Transfer Portal?

I don’t think you can keep an OC that presided over this offense and attract top players. I realize he and Fleck go back to WMU together, but damn.

How do you sell this to potential transferees? Fleck is going to need to earn his $6M in the next several weeks.

Not sure its fair to say "why would a QB come here to hand the ball off". We handed the ball off more than we wanted because we couldn't pass for s***. Get a quarterback that is accurate and we might, just might, pass a little more. I dunno.
PJ has shown a willingness to open up the offense a little with an accurate QB who makes good decisions. Any QB who has those qualities shouldn't be worried about not showcasing his arm enough. If they want an air raid offense I don't want him anyway.

The problem is if you want a playmaker, he actually needs to be given the freedom to make plays. What is going to be the tradeoff to bring in a capable QB? I see this as being a HUGE problem for them. Even when TM was here, he was there to manage the offense. Rarely was he asked to make plays and we often put him in a bad situation through our predictability. Might be time to go the opposite direction and bring in a runner first if they can't get their 1st or 2nd options.

There are already a handful of notable names who have already entered the portal, including Will Rodgers, Will Howard, Tyler Van Dyke, and Max Johnson (UNC) to name a few. Even more will flood the portal once bowl season is over. So, the question is, what should the Gophers do? Do we try and get a guy early or do we wait until after NSD and bowl season? Do we try and get a known starter who is limited or swing for the fences on a high upside player who has not seen the field yet? Do we get a one year replacement grad transfer or a guy that will be in our program for a couple years? Personally, I would like for us to take a swing on a high upside mid-major player who would be with us for at least two years. If he is great then he could make us competitive in the new Big Ten, if he sucks then we could get Lindsey some reps early and maybe try again next year. I would also prefer to grab someone sooner rather than later as to avoid being left scrapping the bottom of the barrel. What are your thoughts?
Before anything else, you need to figure out how much NIL $$ we can muster for his initial offer.

Going to be tough to convince a QB to come here with NIL competition and the rugby style of play we show each year with running running running.

Before anything else, you need to figure out how much NIL $$ we can muster for his initial offer.
Right. It's like buying a car. Know your budget, and asking prices and the probable true prices. You can waste a lot of time analyzing and dreaming about the cars that are way, way outside your budget. Or you can drill down on studying the cars that are at the very top end of what you can afford. Maybe we've got some non-monetary things to offer, too, such as exposure playing in the toughest league in college football--which might be of value to a one-year rental Grad Transfer trying to upgrade his draft profile. Figure out and use all your chips. Or maybe you've brought non a new OC that the transfer candidate sees as a helpful coaching guru, transcending auction value.

Then sit back and watch some guys complain that we didn't get that special QB who auctioned himself off for $3M+/year in NIL. "I thought PJ was supposed to be such a good recruiter!!"

Last edited:

Think a good play might be to find an offensive coordinator/QB coach like UCF Darin Hinshaw who many years has had top offenses, even against quality opponents, and see if he can bring a QB grad transfer with him. If we don't swoop now, I don't think it is long before he gets a power 5 offer, maybe even as HC.

The only thing I'd add to the comments above is that once we sign a new probable starting QB, make sure you know his strengths and weaknesses. Please tailor our offensive strategy, for the season anyway, to his strengths. Please don't use an invariable one-size-should-fit-all offense strategy that often forces the QB to play to his weaknesses, and then spend all season bashing your head against a wall complaining about failures to execute.

To get a legit QB, PJ will have to promise to make him the starter - not "you'll have a chance to compete" but "you're going to be my QB for the year", and then pull in a grad transfer who is there just as a potential backup (e.g., someone who wants to go to grad school vs thinking they're going to make it to the NFL).

I feel a grad transfer with one year left is the best option as long as we have the Lindsay kid still coming to campus in January. Have the true freshman as our #2 next year and then he takes the reigns in 2025. Plus, we are more likely to get a one year of eligibility QB as I feel not as many programs are looking for that one year plug-in guy.

Not sure its fair to say "why would a QB come here to hand the ball off". We handed the ball off more than we wanted because we couldn't pass for s***. Get a quarterback that is accurate and we might, just might, pass a little more. I dunno.
How many times have you heard Fleck say in the brief halftime interview, "We just gotta shorten the game"?

Those stats and ratings though, and not a runner. What’s turning you on about Seals?
I just think he's a good fit for Fleck ball. Yes, there are much better guys in the portal but does our offense fit them? Probably not. Seals has enough experience and maturity to be more settled in the pocket and he hands the ball off beautifully. I think going from Vandy to Minnesota would be a promotion for him and the Gophers would get a signal caller with experience. As for his stats...Vanderbilt. Need I say more?

PJ has shown a willingness to open up the offense a little with an accurate QB who makes good decisions. Any QB who has those qualities shouldn't be worried about not showcasing his arm enough. If they want an air raid offense I don't want him anyway.

Well, the last time we had a genuinely good offense we also had two very good wide receivers and a capable #3 so I don't think the QB is the only factor in Fleck's trust issues. Sometimes this season it seemed like Daniel Jackson was the only wide receiver we had.

To get a legit QB, PJ will have to promise to make him the starter - not "you'll have a chance to compete" but "you're going to be my QB for the year", and then pull in a grad transfer who is there just as a potential backup (e.g., someone who wants to go to grad school vs thinking they're going to make it to the NFL).

If he's truly a "legit QB", why should he need a promise like that?

If he's "legit", he wouldn't be afraid to compete — especially so at Minnesota. Our 'QB room' is somewhat sparsely populated right now, and will remain so, even if we add 1-2 transfers.

If your hypothetical "legit QB" can't compete with the QBs we currently have, and/or might add, then... yikes.

I don't want QBs who need special treatment. I want competitors.

I feel a grad transfer with one year left is the best option as long as we have the Lindsay kid still coming to campus in January. Have the true freshman as our #2 next year and then he takes the reigns in 2025. Plus, we are more likely to get a one year of eligibility QB as I feel not as many programs are looking for that one year plug-in guy.
Ideally but, as we've seen, you can't just go with the "in a perfect world" plan.

I think they find a QB that has 1 year left and is expected to start. Then also try to bring in a transfer with multiple years left. Maybe a guy that didn't play where he was at and is looking for a fresh start somewhere. Then of course the freshman coming in.

If he's truly a "legit QB", why should he need a promise like that?

If he's "legit", he wouldn't be afraid to compete — especially so at Minnesota. Our 'QB room' is somewhat sparsely populated right now, and will remain so, even if we add 1-2 transfers.

If your hypothetical "legit QB" can't compete with the QBs we currently have, and/or might add, then... yikes.

I don't want QBs who need special treatment. I want competitors.
He doesn't "need" a promise like that, but he'll want that promise. If you're a legit QB who only has one or maybe two years left to show your stuff, you're either going to go to a place that (a) will pay you a million dollars and/or (b) where you are a lock to start. PJ can't do (a), he can only do (b). A legit QB is not going to go to a place that won't pay him, and there's a chance depending on the competition that he won't start.

Is there no Bosnian Cannon or Albanian Howitzer?
We're working the Balkans pretty hard, so why not take in the whole peninsula with the Balkans Bazooka? If you want to drill down to regions, we could add Slovenian Smith & Wesson, Macedonian M-13, and Herzegovinan Handgun. For the sake of alliteration, we'd have to make it the Albanian AR-15.

Just an observation, for whatever it’s worth:

No one complained/complains about these guys:
Gibbens
Baugh
Hendersen

Lot of complains or flat out “swing and a miss” about these guys:
Tyler
Crooms
Selig
Spencer

Group one all came from FCS. Group two all came from FBS.

@50PoundHead it’s all Yugoslavia to me!
I would urge you to never say that while in Yugoslavia. I mistakenly called someone with Serbian heritage Serbo-Croation (like the language) and was lectured extensively on the differences that exist on the peninsula and the peril of uttering an improper ethnic designation.

He doesn't "need" a promise like that, but he'll want that promise. If you're a legit QB who only has one or maybe two years left to show your stuff, you're either going to go to a place that (a) will pay you a million dollars and/or (b) where you are a lock to start. PJ can't do (a), he can only do (b). A legit QB is not going to go to a place that won't pay him, and there's a chance depending on the competition that he won't start.

Here's the issue:

You and I have vastly different ideas/definition of what makes a QB "legit".

If a kid won't compete, I don't want him. He can go elsewhere to get his guarantee. Maybe he'll also get a participation trophy.

How many times have you heard Fleck say in the brief halftime interview, "We just gotta shorten the game"?

Even when they’re behind by two scores in the second half, which is something.

Get a new OC.

Top Bottom