What Should the Gophers Strategy be for QB in the Transfer Portal?

StudentSectionMenace

Reaction score
There are already a handful of notable names who have already entered the portal, including Will Rodgers, Will Howard, Tyler Van Dyke, and Max Johnson (UNC) to name a few. Even more will flood the portal once bowl season is over. So, the question is, what should the Gophers do? Do we try and get a guy early or do we wait until after NSD and bowl season? Do we try and get a known starter who is limited or swing for the fences on a high upside player who has not seen the field yet? Do we get a one year replacement grad transfer or a guy that will be in our program for a couple years? Personally, I would like for us to take a swing on a high upside mid-major player who would be with us for at least two years. If he is great then he could make us competitive in the new Big Ten, if he sucks then we could get Lindsey some reps early and maybe try again next year. I would also prefer to grab someone sooner rather than later as to avoid being left scrapping the bottom of the barrel. What are your thoughts?

7zw2jzv.gif

There are already a handful of notable names who have already entered the portal, including Will Rodgers, Will Howard, Tyler Van Dyke, and Max Johnson (UNC) to name a few. Even more will flood the portal once bowl season is over. So, the question is, what should the Gophers do? Do we try and get a guy early or do we wait until after NSD and bowl season? Do we try and get a known starter who is limited or swing for the fences on a high upside player who has not seen the field yet? Do we get a one year replacement grad transfer or a guy that will be in our program for a couple years? Personally, I would like for us to take a swing on a high upside mid-major player who would be with us for at least two years. If he is great then he could make us competitive in the new Big Ten, if he sucks then we could get Lindsey some reps early and maybe try again next year. I would also prefer to grab someone sooner rather than later as to avoid being left scrapping the bottom of the barrel. What are your thoughts?
A pulse and a high APR

Strategy should be to get one … more likely two. A grad transfer to start and one with three years eligibility left.

Just like Illinois. It looks like Bielema was ahead of the game.

Man, it sucks as a fan to have relied on the 4-star development guy not working out. Fleck put all his eggs in one basket to keep the guy and he just wasn't good enough.

I think they should go for a QB with the pocket presence of Dan Marino, the precise arm of Aaron Rodgers, the leadership qualities of Steve Young, and the guts of Brett FavRuh....

Or someone as close to this as we can land.

Get who we can get.

That’s obvious, but we don’t have much to offer beyond the chance to compete to be a starting Big Ten QB.

... and independently wealthy, so that NIL bribe is unnecessary!
The Gophers could try a long-term strategy of being the program that lets the children of the super wealthy play a notch or two above their talent level.

Let's get a Bezos at QB. Maybe a couple Waltons at WR.

Might stink for a while, but we would be building up a football donor base with unlimited funds

Said it before. I would really like to see someone who can run and make something out of a broken play (not overlooking they have to have the ability to hit open receivers).

The Gophers could try a long-term strategy of being the program that lets the children of the super wealthy play a notch or two above their talent level.

Let's get a Bezos at QB. Maybe a couple Waltons at WR.

Might stink for a while, but we would be building up a football donor base with unlimited funds

This idea isn't as far fetched as you think it is!

Man, Morgan has to be kicking himself. He came on to the scene three or four years early. He could made a mint coming off the 2019 season with today's NIL environment.

Not sure its fair to say "why would a QB come here to hand the ball off". We handed the ball off more than we wanted because we couldn't pass for s***. Get a quarterback that is accurate and we might, just might, pass a little more. I dunno.

I think the Gophers would be more consistent on offense and more capable of knocking off top-quality teams if they had a run-first QB. The kind of guy who carries 15-20 times a game and is in the top 3-5 guys in overall QB rushing on the season.

I just don't see us winning the arm$ race with all the powerhouses in the Big 18 without trying some strategies that other teams aren't doing.

Hopefully a passer, with skill to run when needed and a willingness to do so. There were lots of yard left out there this year for unwillingness to run.

May be coaches orders, but in college you gotta run the qb
IMHO.

We don’t have a million dollars for the top QBs or even the $250000 for the next tier. We might be able to afford the kid from New Hampshire though from what I read. He may only be $100000! We can get him on the cheap!!

1. Throw a tight spiral.
2. Throw at least 50 yards in the air.
3. Read his passing progressions accurately.
4. Hang on to the damned ball.
5. Good speed.
6. Find the lanes when running.

Minnesota will need at least three portal QBs. Maybe 4. Wisconsin signed 3 from the portal last year despite that their most recent starter, Chase Wolf, was coming back.

Top Bottom