What should the expectations be of this team now?

anonymous

Reaction score
I realize that the Trevor injury and the news that he is done for the season is still fresh, but I will pose this question: What should the expectations the rest of the way be for this team?

There are certainly many people out there who believe the wheels will fall off and this team will finish in the bottom three of the Big Ten. I totally understand that.

And I guess that is what is the most frustrating thing about this injury.

The reality is that injuries are part of the deal in college basketball. Guys are going to be hurt. The only variable is who and for how long.

The problem is that despite the fact that this is Tubby's fifth year and this roster is completely made up of players he recruited, the program wasn't in position to absorb a significant injury. Yes, Trevor is a very good player, but by year five, this program should have been to a place where the loss of one player shouldn't immediately lead to a total collapse.

Let's look at Purdue a year ago. Hummel goes down before the season (also a very good player) and the Boilermakers still win 14 Big Ten games and win a NCAA tournament game before losing to an eventual Final Four team. It can be done if the rest of the roster is managed properly.

Through a combination of recruiting mistakes, roster mismanagement and the inability to keep kids from transferring, the Gophers are extremely young. I expected better in year five from a hall of fame coach. I really did. By year five, there should be some experience and some depth.

I'm very interested to see what happens the rest of this way. I will be very disappointed if the wheels fall off. I don't think they are going to make the tournament, but I do expect that this team will play hard, will avoid getting blown out on a regular basis at home and will show improvement.

If it doesn't, that's on Tubby.

It is all on Tubby - right?

Expectations - what were the expectations for Monson in year 5? After dealing with sanctions?

Tubby has been given a free pass in MN and on gh. Those most revered on gh are silent. Telling.

My expectations are the same as before Trevor went down: make the tournament and win a tourney game. The Purdue example was a good one, Hummel was just as talented as a player, and this team needs to be in a position where it can deal with injuries to any player. Good teams find a way to do it. The Wild went on a winning streak last year with their top 3 goalies injured, and the Twins (in the midst of a terrible season) went 15-2 for a stretch with virtually every player that casual fans have heard of on the disabled list. If this team has the heart of a good team, they will find a way to battle through adversity and make something of this season.

My expectations are the same as before Trevor went down: make the tournament and win a tourney game. The Purdue example was a good one, Hummel was just as talented as a player, and this team needs to be in a position where it can deal with injuries to any player. Good teams find a way to do it. The Wild went on a winning streak last year with their top 3 goalies injured, and the Twins (in the midst of a terrible season) went 15-2 for a stretch with virtually every player that casual fans have heard of on the disabled list. If this team has the heart of a good team, they will find a way to battle through adversity and make something of this season.

Having been through this last year and all of the transfers this team should be well equiped to deal with adversity. Sampson and Williams will need to step it up both offensively and defensively and the young post players will need to give us solid defense in order for this to happen.

Expectations are reserved for the TEAM, players and Coaching Staff. Expectations from fans are actually Hopes and Wishes. I can expect my son to earn $1M per year, when in actuality that is a hope and wish. If HE has expectations to earn $1M a year, that is a different story. The term "expectations" from fans are actually "hopes and wishes". Please do not confuse the two. Expectations are those things we have control over. Hopes and wishers are those things we want, with no control over.

Sampson is an enigma. He has the strength, size and ability, but absolutely no heart. As a senior he should be a go too guy. I thought when he was named one of the captains he would show that responsibility on the court Not so, and with Williams showing up every 4th game I think the Gophers will struggle to get 9 wins in the BIG

Expectations are reserved for the TEAM, players and Coaching Staff. Expectations from fans are actually Hopes and Wishes. I can expect my son to earn $1M per year, when in actuality that is a hope and wish. If HE has expectations to earn $1M a year, that is a different story. The term "expectations" from fans are actually "hopes and wishes". Please do not confuse the two. Expectations are those things we have control over. Hopes and wishers are those things we want, with no control over.

Don- Exectations are for anyone that wants to have them. A paying customer certainly has the right to expectations just as much as a coach or player does. I know you want to patrol all commentary, but telling people whether they can have an expectation or not.......sounds like an expectation to me.

. ... I'm very interested to see what happens the rest of this way. I will be very disappointed if the wheels fall off. I don't think they are going to make the tournament, but I do expect that this team will play hard, will avoid getting blown out on a regular basis at home and will show improvement. If it doesn't, that's on Tubby.

That sums it up pretty well for me. Tough road ahead, but it doesn't have to be all doom & gloom.

My immediate expectations are the same as they were before the season, no worse than 11-2 during the nonconference slate, with 12-1 still in reach. The Gophers have nothing but home games between now and Dec. 27 (B1G opener @ Illinois). Especially considering Mbakwe's injury, that's a positive. Let's have Tubby and the Gophers adjust/figure it out in front of their own fans. For now let's find a way to finish the nonconference schedule on an up note, and go from there. I expect this team to know who they are (w/o Mbakwe) before they land in Champaign-Urbana. At this point I think it's pointless to worry about anything beyond that.

That sums it up pretty well for me. Tough road ahead, but it doesn't have to be all doom & gloom.

My immediate expectations are the same as they were before the season, no worse than 11-2 during the nonconference slate, with 12-1 still in reach. The Gophers have nothing but home games between now and Dec. 27 (B1G opener @ Illinois). Especially considering Mbakwe's injury, that's a positive. Let's have Tubby and the Gophers adjust/figure it out in front of their own fans. For now let's find a way to finish the nonconference schedule on an up note, and go from there. I expect this team to know who they are (w/o Mbakwe) before they land in Champaign-Urbana. At this point I don't need to think about anything beyond that.

This is about right. I can't wait until Wednesday night. I am really excited now to see how we adjust. I would love to see the fans react as we did years ago for the Iron 5 - admittedly under far different circumstances. A pumped up crowd would go a long way to help this squad IMO.

Sadly BGA, I doubt most of the younger folks in Williams have any idea of what the Iron 5 is.

That definitely would be the PROPER response from Gopher fans -- let the team know you're still in their corner -- but in this day & age of instant gratification I'm not expecting it. Unfortunately, if things go wrong early vs. Virginia Tech, I expect the crowd to get restless & perhaps even a little nasty. Hope it doesn't come to that.

Sadly BGA, I doubt most of the younger folks in Williams have any idea of what the Iron 5 is.

That definitely would be the PROPER response from Gopher fans -- let the team know you're still in their corner -- but in this day & age of instant gratification I'm not expecting it. Unfortunately, if things go wrong early vs. Virginia Tech, I expect the crowd to get restless & perhaps even a little nasty. Hope it doesn't come to that.

I can remember right where I was sitting and how loud it was the first game the Iron 5 had. Personally I think I was sweating by the end of the game and I'm certain my voice was raw for a day or so.

Here's a clip from a GH interview with John Shasky about that night:

GH: Your first game back after the forfeit was against Ohio State at The Barn and you and your teammates were dubbed the “Iron Five” – what do you remember about the crowd response that game? Shasky: We were nervous before the game as we didn’t know how the crowd was going to react to us when we came up from the locker room, but the crowd’s reaction was nothing short of amazing. The crowd at Williams Arena has always been electric, but that game was unlike anything any of us had seen. Every shot we made, every free throw that went in the crowd went crazy. That meant a lot to our team. GH: How important was that win against Ohio State? Shasky: It was a huge win for us. With everything we faced the previous week, the forfeit, losing half our team and our head coach, we really wanted that game. We only won one game after that, but we were competitive in quite a few of them. The guys that were left gave everything we had.

I think the crowd will be behind this team so long as the team is pouring their heart and soul into it. I expect the fan base to tolerate mistakes which are the product of the necessary last minute adjustments to our team strategy. However, if the team comes out like they did went Nolen went down last year, where I felt like they were content to give a mediocre effort, lose, and assume that they had no chance because they lost their point guard, then the crowd will be justifiably upset. Bottom line: great efforts with mistakes will result in good crowd support, poor effort will not be tolerated by the fans.

That day and age was lost when the fans didnt support(as you suggest) the last coach/team when they were struggling.

Things sure do stay the same as well as change.......

Sampson is an enigma. He has the strength, size and ability, but absolutely no heart. As a senior he should be a go too guy. I thought when he was named one of the captains he would show that responsibility on the court Not so, and with Williams showing up every 4th game I think the Gophers will struggle to get 9 wins in the BIG

they were probably going to struggle to get 9 wins with Trevor in the line-up. if they can get to 9 wins in conference play without him that would be quite an accomplishment and a great coaching job.

I can remember right where I was sitting and how loud it was the first game the Iron 5 had. Personally I think I was sweating by the end of the game and I'm certain my voice was raw for a day or so.

Here's a clip from a GH interview with John Shasky about that night:

GH: Your first game back after the forfeit was against Ohio State at The Barn and you and your teammates were dubbed the “Iron Five” – what do you remember about the crowd response that game? Shasky: We were nervous before the game as we didn’t know how the crowd was going to react to us when we came up from the locker room, but the crowd’s reaction was nothing short of amazing. The crowd at Williams Arena has always been electric, but that game was unlike anything any of us had seen. Every shot we made, every free throw that went in the crowd went crazy. That meant a lot to our team. GH: How important was that win against Ohio State? Shasky: It was a huge win for us. With everything we faced the previous week, the forfeit, losing half our team and our head coach, we really wanted that game. We only won one game after that, but we were competitive in quite a few of them. The guys that were left gave everything we had.

It was a great night. |Wasn't the other win against Iowa? it seems to me I remember the chant: " Who got beat by the Iron Five? Iowa got beat by the Iron five"

That day and age was lost when the fans didnt support(as you suggest) the last coach/team when they were struggling.

If you would be so kind BB, please define "supporting the last coach/team", or for that matter, "supporting the current team/coach". If getting to the point where I expressed on GopherHole that I no longer thought Dan Monson was the right guy for the Gopher program, then I'm guilty as charged and am not (by your definition, apparently) a supporter of the Gopher program.

But if "supporting the coach/team/program" means having season tickets for 20 years through an academic scandal, the latter days of the Monson era (notice I didn't say early days), the frustrations of the last 2 seasons, all while never once booing Gopher coaches or players for 18-20 occasions per home season (there are quite a few Gopher fans that do that, sadly), then I don't think I or others like me have anything for which to apologize.

How about you BB? Do you consider yourself a supporter of the Gopher program? You certainly throw out the vibe on GopherHole that you get a real hoot out of the struggles Tubby's program is having. All for the simple reason because you're still bitter at some of the folks (including me) who voiced their displeasure for Dan Monson when we strongly suggested we'd like to start again with another coach. All because you want others to be proven wrong about Tubby, vindicating you in some warped kind of way?

By all means, if Tubby's tenure at the U ends up being a failure, knock yourself out. Come on GH and tell the world that others and I were wrong about Tubby and what he'd bring to the Minnesota program. I'm pretty confident that will bring you great joy.

If you would be so kind BB, please define "supporting the last coach/team", or for that matter, "supporting the current team/coach". If getting to the point where I expressed on GopherHole that I no longer thought Dan Monson was the right guy for the Gopher program, then I'm guilty as charged and am not (by your definition, apparently) a supporter of the Gopher program.

But if "supporting the coach/team/program" means having season tickets for 20 years through an academic scandal, the latter days of the Monson era (notice I didn't say early days), the frustrations of the last 2 seasons, all while never once booing Gopher coaches or players for 18-20 occasions per home season (there are quite a few Gopher fans that do that, sadly), then I don't think I or others like me have anything for which to apologize.

How about you BB? Do you consider yourself a supporter of the Gopher program? You certainly proudly throw out the vibe on GopherHole that you get a real hoot out of the struggles Tubby's program is having. All for the simple reason because you're still bitter at some of the folks (including me) who voiced their displeasure for Dan Monson when we strongly suggested we'd like to start again with another coach. All because you want others to be proven wrong about Tubby, vindicating you in some warped kind of way?

SelectionSunday nailed it and BB is a fraud with passive-aggressive posts. It's so obvious how he only talks about Ralph and Rodney's player development, even though both have developed but not as much as BB apparently wants, but doesn't bring up Austin's development or Nolen's or Chip's or Westbrook's or DJ's, and on and on. BB is hilarious, laughable, not interesting.

I think that the expectations for this season should be to prepare the squad for next season. I think that any expectations set for this team to make the NCAA tournament without Mbakwe are misguided. They should be able to be competitive in the mid to lower ranks of B1G play, but I see nothing better than an NIT birth. The team is lost as usual on the offensive end, and they just lost their defensive intensity... somebody had better bring some energy to the court, and we already know it's not going to be Ralph or Rodney...

GopherHoopsFan

Personally, I adjust the non-conference down 2 games (from 13-0 to 11-2) and the conference expectations down 3 to from 11-7 to 8-10. Will 19-12, 8-10 be enough to get in to the NCAA's? No. So hopefully they can steal a couple somewhere along the way.

SelectionSunday nailed it and BB is a fraud with passive-aggressive posts. It's so obvious how he only talks about Ralph and Rodney's player development, even though both have developed but not as much as BB apparently wants, but doesn't bring up Austin's development or Nolen's or Chip's or Westbrook's or DJ's, and on and on. BB is hilarious, laughable, not interesting.

Fraud? Because I point out the obvious that Stan and the more revered wont touch? OK Stan. Why dont you use your former name STAN?

RS and RW have not developed into the star players they were going to be when they were recruited. Or is their performance thus far in their careers what you expected? From the kids? From Tubby? Not even close. You know it, just wont admit it. STAN. Not the man.

BTW - I said when Damian was a rs fr he would be a great player. Some of the great gh minds laughed. Perfect.

Fraud? Because I point out the obvious that Stan and the more revered wont touch? OK Stan. Why dont you use your former name STAN?

RS and RW have not developed into the star players they were going to be when they were recruited. Or is their performance thus far in their careers what you expected? From the kids? From Tubby? Not even close. You know it, just wont admit it. STAN. Not the man.

BTW - I said when Damian was a rs fr he would be a great player. Some of the great gh minds laughed. Perfect.
What about Ralph as a recruit made you think he was going to be a star? And really, there's a reason that even as a 4-star recruit Rodney did not get many offers, he was playing center even though he projected as a SF.
BTW, I don't know anyone on GH that is revered by anyone. Stop saying that.

How about you BB? Do you consider yourself a supporter of the Gopher program? You certainly throw out the vibe on GopherHole that you get a real hoot out of the struggles Tubby's program is having. All for the simple reason because you're still bitter at some of the folks (including me) who voiced their displeasure for Dan Monson when we strongly suggested we'd like to start again with another coach. All because you want others to be proven wrong about Tubby, vindicating you in some warped kind of way?

By all means, if Tubby's tenure at the U ends up being a failure, knock yourself out. Come on GH and tell the world that others and I were wrong about Tubby and what he'd bring to the Minnesota program. I'm pretty confident that will bring you great joy.

I get a real hoot out of 20 years of season tickets sport - just like you. Perhaps your longetivity in season tickets is the real badge of honor you wear? I really loved watching the last decade plus of BB - all the losing, scandals, fired coaches, travelling to Orlando to watch the meltdown in person. Nothing better than spending your $$ "supporting" the program - and watching the whole thing fall apart. Right Super Sport?

Indeed, I find great joy in watching the Gophers lose!!!! You caught me!

No, the real deal SS - Tubby was brought in to do what Monson could not do - win. Win big. Right? One other thing - to make the Barn relevant again. Right SS????

I dont want to be proven wrong about Tubby SS. Never have. I want Tubby to do what YOU said he could do. Win. Win BIG. Win often. Make the Barn a home court adavantage again.

Hasnt happened - while you sit back and ride your little fence, bobbing and weaving to the beat of the gh......you are a master of that manuver, ss. Well done.

While the fans get "we need a new practice facility in order to recruit and win" from Tubby, the program goes further and further behind. You know it, you just wont admit it.

Ah yes SS - excuses. You know the rest of the line.....

What about Ralph as a recruit made you think he was going to be a star? And really, there's a reason that even as a 4-star recruit Rodney did not get many offers, he was playing center even though he projected as a SF.
BTW, I don't know anyone on GH that is revered by anyone. Stop saying that.

Highly regarded recruit, pedigree, nearly 7' tall. A lot to work with.

What makes you think he couldnt be a star?

RW was only going to be in a Gopher uniform for a couple years, tops, then on to the NBA. Stop looking the other way.

Highly regarded recruit, pedigree, nearly 7' tall. A lot to work with.

What makes you think he couldnt be a star?

RW was only going to be in a Gopher uniform for a couple years, tops, then on to the NBA. Stop looking the other way.
Ralph Sampson III received a rating of 89 on ESPN, the same rating of Wally Ellenson who most people are calling a future role player. Being 7' tall doesn't mean much, Elliason is taller but a lot of people here were calling him a D2 player. In reality pedigree doesn't matter.

Rodney Williams was 6'6" 185 lbs playing center in high school. He did not develop his shooting and ball handling skills in high school. They have clearly improved since he was a freshman. He also improved his defense. He does have a legitimate shot at the NBA simply because of athleticism, but not all athletes are meant to play basketball.

Base your arguments in actual basketball facts, please.

I expect Tubby to be able to reach .500 in the Big Ten this year and be on the bubble for the NCAA's. That's down from expecting The Gophers to finish in the top 4-5 and advancing to the round of 32 at minimum.

they were probably going to struggle to get 9 wins with Trevor in the line-up. if they can get to 9 wins in conference play without him that would be quite an accomplishment and a great coaching job.

Exactly.

No one is ready to replace Trevor, especially on the boards. We have no answer for what he provides.

Getting guys into the NIT will be a major accomplishment.

I would expect you guys to go 9-9 in the big ten. If you can pick off Wisconsin once and win a game or 2 in the big 10 tournament, it would get you in the big dance. So 20 to 21 regular season wins, 2 wins in the big 10 tournament that' 22 to 23 wins.

Tubby will have to do things in a way he doesn't like to do it but he wants to win. He has a lot of options to try unlike last year. If Welch could hold down the point and Andre can just score, you're better off because Andre and Austin can score. You'll see a lot of weave and sort dribble drive type offense. Big Ten teams are mostly slow down teams so he's going to try and play fast on both ends. I think you'll be better than you think. In a way, Trevors injury is going to speed up the development of your very young wings which only helps going forward.

let's see you got iowa twice, nebraska twice, nw twice, penn state.. that's 7 very winnable games. Sure Indiana is better but you gotta figure you can at least split with them. Same with Illinois and MSU. I think you can beat Wisconsin at home. That's 11 conference wins. Who knows you may beat Purdue or Michigan that's why they play the games. Surely you can find 14 points and 9 rebounds from somewhere. I agree rebounding will be a struggle but you can find the 14 points IMO. It depends on match ups as to whether you'll be able to replace Trevor on defense.

Ralph Sampson III received a rating of 89 on ESPN, the same rating of Wally Ellenson who most people are calling a future role player. Being 7' tall doesn't mean much, Elliason is taller but a lot of people here were calling him a D2 player. In reality pedigree doesn't matter.

Rodney Williams was 6'6" 185 lbs playing center in high school. He did not develop his shooting and ball handling skills in high school. They have clearly improved since he was a freshman. He also improved his defense. He does have a legitimate shot at the NBA simply because of athleticism, but not all athletes are meant to play basketball.

Base your arguments in actual basketball facts, please.

So when that class came to MN you are saying the talk was of medicre recruiting? Mediocre players? Low to mid finishes in conference?

Sure. Continue with your dream now......

If walker can get healthy and play this year we might have a chance

The only way this team makes the tourney now is for Ingram to play like a monster on the boards and be physical. Or for Ralph or Rodney to totally change their demeanor and become super tough. Or for Walker to get healthy and play.

Unfortunately all are unlikely, but I am holding out hope.

Top Bottom