What seed would the Gophers be?

balds

Reaction score
If, by a miracle, we somehow make a run and win the Big Ten Tournament. 12. 13. 14,? The lowest seed that ever won a power 5 conference tourney appears to be Michigan, who did it as an 8 seed in the BTT tourney and ended up a 7 seed in the NCAA tourney.

A seeding that would be forcing them into the first two games. That way they would be less embarrassing.

Now I hope our freshmen DON'T show improvement...so they don't get a good transfer $ offer.

If I was a 3 seed I’d rather play the Gophers than a 4 loss low major.

If, by a miracle, we somehow make a run and win the Big Ten Tournament. 12. 13. 14,? The lowest seed that ever won a power 5 conference tourney appears to be Michigan, who did it as an 8 seed in the BTT tourney and ended up a 7 seed in the NCAA tourney.

The Gophers would be closer to the 2008 Georgia team referenced. The Bulldogs would have been the 11 Seed in a traditional format, but they broke up the Seedings East/West and came in as the lowest #6 East.

Georgia was seeded as 14 in the NCAA Tournament that year.

I would guess 5 wins (most/all Quad 1 or 2) by the Gophers in the Big 10 Tourney on an neutral court would elevate them into the 14 or 15 line, but not guaranteed.

A better question is what could completely wipe out 13 out of 14 Big Ten teams? Because there's a better chance of that than the Gophers winning 2 games in a row.
I'm guessing the odds of winning one game in a row are very low as well.

Clem had 2 NIT championships, right?
I'm too lazy to look this up but pre 98 there was no big ten tournament so if you didn't make the NCAA or nit it wasn't out of the question to end the season with a regular season win.

Is this a serious topic or a bit? Asking for a mildly amused observer.

Is this a serious topic or a bit? Asking for a mildly amused observer.
A little of both. I had my Gopher hat on the other day and somebody mockingly asked me if I thought they could run the table in the B1G Tourney. It got me thinking about about how the selection committee would seed such a team.

Reactions: MRJ

A better question is what could completely wipe out 13 out of 14 Big Ten teams? Because there's a better chance of that than the Gophers winning 2 games in a row.
Gophers flight to the tournament gets delayed and a nuclear bomb drops after the other teams all arrive?

The Gophers would be closer to the 2008 Georgia team referenced. The Bulldogs would have been the 11 Seed in a traditional format, but they broke up the Seedings East/West and came in as the lowest #6 East.

Georgia was seeded as 14 in the NCAA Tournament that year.

I would guess 5 wins (most/all Quad 1 or 2) by the Gophers in the Big 10 Tourney on an neutral court would elevate them into the 14 or 15 line, but not guaranteed.

Good find! They were 13-16 going into the SEC tournament, were 17-16 after winning it, then lost their NCAA tournament game to finish 17-17.

I guess the runner up among P6 would be Georgetown in the pandemic shortened 2021 season. They entered their tournament 9-12, were 13-12 after winning it, and lost their NCAA tournament game to finish 13-13.

A little of both. I had my Gopher hat on the other day and somebody mockingly asked me if I thought they could run the table in the B1G Tourney. It got me thinking about about how the selection committee would seed such a team.

Aren't the 13th through 16th seeds typically reserved for all the small conference auto-qualifiers? I don't remember ever seeing a P5 conference team on those seed lines. But maybe that is because we have never had a P5 team this bad in the tourney? My guess would be as the last team in on the 12 line. But maybe a better question for @SelectionSunday.

Aren't the 13th through 16th seeds typically reserved for all the small conference auto-qualifiers? I don't remember ever seeing a P5 conference team on those seed lines. But maybe that is because we have never had a P5 team this bad in the tourney? My guess would be as the last team in on the 12 line. But maybe a better question for @SelectionSunday.

The Georgia team that was referenced above was a #14 seed and and lost to #3 Xavier in the NCAA tournament. That's probably as low as it's gone for a P6 team but Georgia wasn't quite as bad as the Gophers this season. They were 13-16 overall before their conference tournament. If the Gophers did pull off an almost impossible feat like that they could sink to a #15 but I don't think a #16.

The Georgia team that was referenced above was a #14 seed and and lost to #3 Xavier in the NCAA tournament. That's probably as low as it's gone for a P6 team but Georgia wasn't quite as bad as the Gophers this season. They were 13-16 overall before their conference tournament. If the Gophers did pull off an almost impossible feat like that they could sink to a #15 but I don't think a #16.

Thanks cjbfbp! I forgot about that Georgia team and clearly missed the reference above. Starting off solid today. (y)

Gophers currently are #239 in the NET.

Currently the “best” of the 4 worst automatic qualifiers (First 4 in Dayton) is Morehead State (Cooper’s former school) with a NET of #220.

So let’s factor in the Gophers winning 5 straight vs. opponents that all have NET rankings no worse than #94 (Nebraska). Conservatively let’s say that improves their NET into the high 100s.

That likely still would put them in #16 seed range (but no Dayton), but I’d guess a #15.

Gophers currently are #239 in the NET.

Currently the “best” of the 4 worst automatic qualifiers (First 4 in Dayton) is Morehead State (Cooper’s former school) with a NET of #220.

So let’s factor in the Gophers winning 5 straight vs. opponents that all have NET rankings no worse than #94 (Nebraska). Conservatively let’s say that improves their NET into the high 100s.

That likely still would put them in #16 seed range (but no Dayton), but I’d guess a #15.
Cooper’s old school might make the tourney? This only makes everything that much more delicious.

Top Bottom