What News from Fall Camp?

Plato

Banned
Reaction score
In The Athletic, the Wisconsin beat writer, Temple, has a daily update. Fickell seems to think this is a great way to introduce fans to the changes he initiated.
Why does not PJ do the same thing?

In The Athletic, the Wisconsin beat writer, Temple, has a daily update. Fickell seems to think this is a great way to introduce fans to the changes he initiated.
PJ is playing to win. Fickell is selling himself and his offense for the next time the Ohio State job opens up. He is starting early.

Lipstick on a pig? How are the Fickell billboards doing? Still a big hit with the cheese heads?

In order to report something, the media needs access to practice, and access to players and coaches. Fleck likes to control that access. that is his choice, but it does restrict the amount of available information.

In order to report something, the media needs access to practice, and access to players and coaches. Fleck likes to control that access. that is his choice, but it does restrict the amount of available information.
I'm ok with that. Fickle is trying to generate some enthusiasm among the fans over there.

1. The Gophers don't have a writer assigned to them in TheAthletic and Wisconsin does.
2. They tried but all the writers left. The sound of Poison at full volume for 1 hour and 57 minutes was simply too annoying.

PJ is playing to win. Fickell is selling himself and his offense for the next time the Ohio State job opens up. He is starting early.
Fleck had a bunch open practices his first fall camp back in 2017, and he had the media around a lot.

Fleck probably doesn’t have time to write for the Athletic, especially during the football season.

And they're losing all their in state recruits. Need to stop the bleeding before they fall back to the pre-Alvarez era.

honestly, given how tight coaches are now with information, I really don't expect to learn a lot from Fall camp.

the information I would be most interested in would involve injuries and how some of the younger or newer players are looking.

but when you consider that MN doesn't even put out an official 2-deep any more before games, that tells you something about how much or little information is going to be available.

hopefully Ryan Burns or House can glean a few nuggets of info and share with the masses.

Fleck probably doesn’t have time to write for the Athletic, especially during the football season.
You told us there is a writer at the Athletic that gives daily updates about the Badgers and that pervert Fickell thinks it's a good way to give updates.

Then you asked why Fleck doesn't do that? Do what?

Become a writer for the Athletic and write daily updates on the Gophers?
Demand the Athletic give us a writer so he can give updates to because Fickell thinks it's a good idea?

You're obsessed with PJ Fleck so you had to make this about him. Look at how you wrote that sentence "why does not PJ do the same thing?". It's like a creepy Fleck-infatuated yoda. Your PJ obsession didn't let you formulate the actual question which is why don't the Gophers do this? Could it be a PJ thing? Maybe. Could it be an Athletic thing? Probably. But we all know you don't really care about the question, you just wanted to come here and pretend to have a conversation where you get what you think is a jab in on PJ.

honestly, given how tight coaches are now with information, I really don't expect to learn a lot from Fall camp.

the information I would be most interested in would involve injuries and how some of the younger or newer players are looking.

but when you consider that MN doesn't even put out an official 2-deep any more before games, that tells you something about how much or little information is going to be available.

hopefully Ryan Burns or House can glean a few nuggets of info and share with the masses.
I’m honestly asking why this is so important?

I don’t get it, never have. It doesn’t change anything for me as a fan. Still watching or going to the games, still a big booster.

I’d rather have our opponents know little to nothing. And yes, every one of our opponents have staff that do nothing but collect information. I guarantee you Iowa and Wisconsin have staff at our open practices and Minnesota has staff at theirs.

I’d like others to chime in.

Nice info for the fans, but if it does in fact keep other teams from knowing what’s what, I’m really good with keeping things close to the vest.

I had a longer post and deleted it. going with this:

every team scouts every other team. by game-time on the 31st, Nebraska will have a pretty good idea of who is in the 2-deeps for MN. if a key MN player is out with an injury, Nebraska will see that very quickly and adjust.

any advantage gained by not releasing a 2-deep or keeping practice closed is - IMHO - temporary at best.

I would rather have a coach and team with the attitude of - here's our 2-deep, and we're still going to kick your butt. as opposed to - oh no, if the other team finds out something about us, we might lose.

BTN shots…there was virtually no fans at the open practice.

Fickell needs to generate enthusiasm for the fans! Let that sink in for a moment!!
Fleck did the same thing his first year at the U, as did Brewster and Kill...I get that it is fun to take easy shots at Wisc and Iowa, but it also highlights a weird sort of insecurity with a fair number of GH posters.

BTN shots…there was virtually no fans at the open practice.

It was an open 50,000 seat stadium. I don't think it was "virtually no fans". People were spread out - and why wouldn't they be? It certainly looked like a couple thousand there.

every team scouts every other team. by game-time on the 31st, Nebraska will have a pretty good idea of who is in the 2-deeps for MN. if a key MN player is out with an injury, Nebraska will see that very quickly and adjust.

any advantage gained by not releasing a 2-deep or keeping practice closed is - IMHO - temporary at best.

I would rather have a coach and team with the attitude of - here's our 2-deep, and we're still going to kick your butt. as opposed to - oh no, if the other team finds out something about us, we might lose.

You don't need open practices to know what the 2 deeps will be. Maybe there will be a few shifts before the start of the season, but this is pretty close to what it will be.

You don't need open practices to know what the 2 deeps will be. Maybe there will be a few shifts before the start of the season, but this is pretty close to what it will be.

Yeah, good resource. I do feel Evans will be #2 RB, with a shot at #1.

It was an open 50,000 seat stadium. I don't think it was "virtually no fans". People were spread out - and why wouldn't they be? It certainly looked like a couple thousand there.
I wasn't there but there is zero people on the BTN video on 3 sides. The side with people is going to have trouble getting to hundreds.Nobody.pngnobody 2.png1.png3.png4.png

Because he hates the fans

I guess we’ll agree to disagree. I don’t need to know that stuff. Generally, If a player isn’t playing it’s because he’s not in the two deep.

Top Bottom