What MN boys in NDSU uniform proved yesterday

As a Notre Dame fan you have any thoughts on that girl that committed suicide after one of your players raped her?

All the best.

Claims of rape, I feel as though you are trying to change the subject. The thread says what MN boys in NDSU uniform proved yesterday. The MN boys on NDSU's roster did a good job for the most part.

Not what some Notre Dame player may/may not have done. Football players at any school do stupid things and none of us know the details. Not going to worry about that, as it is not my problem and has not happened at my university.

As I stated, Best of Luck to the University of Minnesota, It was a great atmosphere, I hope you guys pull it together and pull off a few upsets. M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A MINNESOTA, MINNESOTA, YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY GOPHERS!

It seems like the NDSU kids are scrappier and much more intense.

That is easier to do when you have played in the same system your whole career and you we recruited for the system. They play with confidence. The Gophers have to build that over the next couple years and I think they will. Our OL next year will be at best experience wise: 2 fourth year juniors, two third year sophomores, and a 2nd year sophomore. Baby steps folks.

Need more Mn kids? So the Wooger must have moved over to the Football board? We need better players, I really don't care what state they live in. There are 3-4 kids left for 2012 from Mn that are B1G players. Can't think Sat's debacle improved our chances getting any of those kids.

Need more Mn kids? So the Wooger must have moved over to the Football board? We need better players, I really don't care what state they live in. There are 3-4 kids left for 2012 from Mn that are B1G players. Can't think Sat's debacle improved our chances getting any of those kids.

Learned nothing already.

Trying to judge if a kid is a "B1G player" in high school is the (incorrect) attitude that got you here in the first place.

-OR- why not sign a talented Minn high school player who actually wants to play for Minnesota (you won't find that out of high school in other states) and let him develop into a star in college?

Learned nothing already.

Trying to judge if a kid is a "B1G player" in high school is the (incorrect) attitude that got you here in the first place.

-OR- why not sign a talented Minn high school player who actually wants to play for Minnesota (you won't find that out of high school in other states) and let him develop into a star in college?

Oh please. So what if the Gophers lost to NDSU yesterday in the big scheme I'm happy for NDSU. At the end of the day, the Gophers are competing for a B1G championship not a Missouri Valley title. You aren't going to win a B1G championship by doing anything more than picking the top 3 maybe 5 players from Mn (usually linemen) and getting the skill elsewhere. If you want a "Rudy" story you are going to have to ND etc. You can't measure their heart, there's no quit in the kid, the intangibles on the kid are hard to measure.....all cliches get mentioned when the kid does "size up".

We need to recruit with Wis, Iowa, ISU etc. Not NDSU.

South Dakota has the same caliber players that NDSU has, and they just got beat 59-10 by Wisconsin. Recruiting players that are shorter, smaller, slower, weaker, or less intelligent may seem like the only thing we haven't tried, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

South Dakota has the same caliber players that NDSU has, and they just got beat 59-10 by Wisconsin. Recruiting players that are shorter, smaller, slower, weaker, or less intelligent may seem like the only thing we haven't tried, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

South Dakota does not have the same caliber of players. NDSU rocked South Dakota last year, this year it would be an even bigger margin based on talent. And I don't think people are suggesting "Go for all the guys NDSU is going for." I think they are suggesting taking a look at a couple of them a little bit closer perhaps. Just because other B1G schools aren't offering, doesn't mean the kids aren't talented.

I'm gonna head over to a Maryland board later to talk some Gopher football.

We won't return to prominence without getting the best Minnesota kids AND national recruits from places like Florida, Texas, Ohio and California.

What Saturday's game proved is how poorly the Gophers have been coached. I don't put all of this on Coach Kill and his regime, but I am already worried that he's not instilling play to the whistle ethics in our kids. There were at least 5 players who quit on the final play of the first half. I was sickened to see 2 Gopher linemen absolutely loafing as the ball laid on the turf and being scooped up by NDSU.

It was also apparent the OC panicked and forgot that Gophers had time to run the ball on the drive where Shortell threw the pick six to ice the game for NDSU. With 3 minutes left, first down clock stoppages and having 2 of their own timeouts, they could have run over half the plays. Asking a true freshman to throw the ball 20 yards downfield into 7 DB's wasn't very smart.

The same thing happened in the USC game...They should have been running the ball with draws or option.

South Dakota does not have the same caliber of players. NDSU rocked South Dakota last year, this year it would be an even bigger margin based on talent. And I don't think people are suggesting "Go for all the guys NDSU is going for." I think they are suggesting taking a look at a couple of them a little bit closer perhaps. Just because other B1G schools aren't offering, doesn't mean the kids aren't talented.

So NDSU would lose to Wisconsin by 21 instead of 49. Is that what the Gophers should aspire to? Or do you think NDSU would beat Wisconsin?

There were only two kids on the NDSU squad I want on our team: the tackle everybody is raving about though I don't think he is a significant upgrade over Olson or Gjere; and the Hopkins DB who I don't think had the grades to get into the B1G, and if that is so it goes against the kid and not the coaches. He is nice but didn't have nearly the upside to have him not qualify coming out of highschool [whereas the upside of say Devon Wright or Hasan Lipscomb was such that I understand why we stretched for similarly bad students]

I like Minnesota kids on our roster but we have to worry about the great ones that are consistently leaving for other BCS-AQ'd programs, especially our border rivals, before we loose sleep over some of the over looked talent on our neighboring FCS squad. We spiraled into this abyss in '06 with the idea that we would transcend the Mason era with a better recruiter; I think we will all would be happy right now to get back to that benchmark of fringe-bowl-dom anytime soon, even that will never happen if we throw up the white flag and start fielding NDSU's roster.

There were only two kids on the NDSU squad I want on our team: the tackle everybody is raving about though I don't think he is a significant upgrade over Olson or Gjere; and the Hopkins DB who I don't think had the grades to get into the B1G, and if that is so it goes against the kid and not the coaches. He is nice but didn't have nearly the upside to have him not qualify coming out of highschool [whereas the upside of say Devon Wright or Hasan Lipscomb was such that I understand why we stretched for similarly bad students]

I like Minnesota kids on our roster but we have to worry about the great ones that are consistently leaving for other BCS-AQ'd programs, especially our border rivals, before we loose sleep over some of the over looked talent on our neighboring FCS squad. We spiraled into this abyss in '06 with the idea that we would transcend the Mason era with a better recruiter; I think we will all would be happy right now to get back to that benchmark of fringe-bowl-dom anytime soon, even that will never happen if we throw up the white flag and start fielding NDSU's roster.

Maybe Turner isn't as good as Gjere, maybe. Interestingly enough, they both came from the same school district. But how about Turner playing Guard for the Gophers? He'd make a darn good Big Ten guard (or tackle, if there were a lack of those).

Williams didn't qualify per the NCAA standard. I'm not sure how that's possible seeing that kids from South Carolina and Mississippi high schools are able to qualify, but who knows. Maybe he took some classes at Hopkins that somehow didn't count? I would bet on something like, a technicality versus being outright not smart enough.

And by the way - you're telling me that every Gopher football player is a top academic student? Come on...

But it seems to all go on deaf ears, at least on this forum. No doubt the majority who post here have it all figured out: just gotta figure out some way, any way of getting the top 100 rivals players to come to Minnesota. That's the only hope.

Keep doing what you've been doing the last few years. Don't change anything. That seems to be working well, no need to change course now.

So NDSU would lose to Wisconsin by 21 instead of 49. Is that what the Gophers should aspire to? Or do you think NDSU would beat Wisconsin?

I'm saying NDSU would make Wisconsin work harder to win by 49, maybe it'd even be closer than 49, maybe 35 or something. The Gophers shold aspire to be better than that obviously.

I'm saying NDSU would make Wisconsin work harder to win by 49, maybe it'd even be closer than 49, maybe 35 or something. The Gophers shold aspire to be better than that obviously.

Go back to your own board please.

I'd also like Carlton Littlejohn, but that is sort of besides the point.

Williams would have been nice, but he didn't qualify. Turner would have been nice, but it's been reported that he didn't have any game film out until November of his senior season, makes it tough to get a Big 10 scholarship. Things happen in the recruiting process that make it almost impossible to ensure that no good kids slip through the cracks.

As far as the Gophers signing the best 10 players in the state "BAM", well you guys should take into account these athletes still have a say in the matter.

This year, we offered Leidner, Nelson, Williams, Pirsig, Hayes, Will Johnson, Davidson, McDonald (I think I have everyone)....

The year before...Tommy Olson, Westerhaus, Hayes, DCT, Levine, Bjorklund, Marz....

We are offering the best in the state but we aren't always getting them. As you said, you haven't done the 40 seconds of research that is needed to make such a proclamation, but hey, don't let that get in your way of shouting it from the rooftops!

Thanks Bob. I thought I had read when he was being recruited that Williams had some academic issues, which isn't saying that players on the Gopher roster didn't have them either coming in or once they arrived.

I'm not going to get into a p*ssing match about the academic standards at the U vs. NDSU. Both are fine schools that serve their students well, but it's been my impression (and I think Kill backed this up in his press conference last week) that NDSU can take a flyer on some kids who have an academic issue for one reason or another. Again, I'm not saying that the NDSU roster is full of mouth-breathers who can't spell "cat" even if you spot them the "c" and the "a." I'm just of the impression that NDSU has some leeway the B1G schools don't have in the admissions process. If if that's the case, give Bohl some credit because he's done well on the field and has run a clean program that doesn't appear to have considerable academic issues.

The Gophers' academic record was very spotty when Kill took over and it took Herculean efforts for a lot of guys to stay eligible (and some of them didn't), so we're probably the last program that should be throwing stones in anyone else's direction.

And if Bob's correct, Turner should be blaming his high school coach for not promoting him as opposed to the U for not offering him.

Some of my fellow Bison fans need to relax a bit. Williams had academic issues, both he and coach Bohl have said that. He was already a bit of risk due to his size if you are talking about him being an FBS or BCS level recruit, he is a great player but it is hard to expect any coach at the BCS level to take so many risks on one recruit.

I'm still not sure how we got Turner. He was an FBS player when he stepped onto campus or at least that was the opinion of most coaches. I think the same could only be said of Ramon Humber who was an LB from Champlin Park.

I think NDSU is more talented right now simply because of coaching, not because we are getting better players. Honestly I think MN has been bringing in better players but those players were either recruited for different systems or they just flat out didn't develop due to inferior coaching.

I think NDSU is more talented right now simply because of coaching, not because we are getting better players. Honestly I think MN has been bringing in better players but those players were either recruited for different systems or they just flat out didn't develop due to inferior coaching.

Absolutely agree, NDSU kids were mentally tough the entire game. They picked off two passess and returned them for touchdowns. In both cases it was due to a mental mistake by a MN QB combined with impressive focus by NDSU.

Also, at least 3 cases MN receivers had egregiously beaten the coverage only to have an MN QB not set their feet to make an easy throw (Gray to Rabe and McGarry and the last was Shortell to McKnight).

MN stopped NDSU twice on 3rd down on the first TD drive only to be overturned through penalties to Garin and Tinsley (whearas the penalty was not the reason for the stop).

The Gophers only relaxed drive was the 2nd scoring drive where they simply ran over the other team physically. Something they have not been able to do this year.

Athletically, MN players were better. Athletically alone doesn't cut it.

While I applaud the idea of trying new things, the solution to the Gophers is not recruiting NDSU's talent pool. The solution is teaching these kids to focus on the play at hand. If Gray plays a relaxed game (where he isn't pressing to make something from nothing on every play) Minnesota takes it to NDSU.

However, Kudos to the Bison for playing a tough game. Clearly, it's not easy to do. Bohl does a fantastic job of keeping his guys on task, each and every play.

Some of my fellow Bison fans need to relax a bit. Williams had academic issues, both he and coach Bohl have said that. He was already a bit of risk due to his size if you are talking about him being an FBS or BCS level recruit, he is a great player but it is hard to expect any coach at the BCS level to take so many risks on one recruit.

I'm still not sure how we got Turner. He was an FBS player when he stepped onto campus or at least that was the opinion of most coaches. I think the same could only be said of Ramon Humber who was an LB from Champlin Park.

Turner had some interest among B10 teams, but blew out his knee in like the fifth game of his senior year. Everyone backed off except NDSU.

That is easier to do when you have played in the same system your whole career and you we recruited for the system. They play with confidence. The Gophers have to build that over the next couple years and I think they will. Our OL next year will be at best experience wise: 2 fourth year juniors, two third year sophomores, and a 2nd year sophomore. Baby steps folks.

Bingo.

The ignorance of some of the Gopher fans is flat out somewhat embarassing. The almost complete dismissal of the concept of continuity boggles the mind.

I expect a guy that has done something 500-1000 times to be able to do it more efficiently, more precisely, and more consistently, than a guy who has done something 25-50 times. Ya think?

When you can show up for practice in August and basically sleepwalk through practice from Day One because you've been doing the SAME DAMN THING for two years, three years, even four years (for RS Srs), I'd say you have a decided advantage over somebody learning it for the first time. Why is that so difficult to comprehend?

And again, it doesn't take 11 guys screwing up their assignment to make a difference. 9 guys doing it right and 2 with a mental lapse and you've got complete failure, regardless of competition.

Not to take anything away from NDSU but they've had the EXTREME good fortune of playing the Gophers in EACH of the last two head coach's first handful of games while trying to implement completely new systems. Congratulations for taking advantage of a confused football team.

Um, the Badgers are going to be a national title contender this year, and are going to beat a LOT of teams by 21+. If the Gophers stick within 21 of them this year it will easily be a moral victory. The Badgers definitely have IT this year and as a Gopher fan it makes me jealous and sick.

This is not me speaking as a gophers fan.

The badgers to me are in no way a national title contender. I don't think they can beat Oklahoma or Alabama.

:D hahahahahahahaha Classic.

Valpo has the same calibur players as NDSU also right?

Lafayette too, heck they invented football and play in the east.

That being said, I hope minnesota wins out somehow! It would make us look alot better.

N. Dakota St. 38, South Dakota 16 (NDSU completed 9 passes, for under 50%, in the process of pounding USD like a drum)

Lmfao, this NDSU team is MUCH better than last years also..... Same calibur.. Bull*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# hahaha

Most of the FCS board counts our win below SHSU over NM and SUU's blowout of UNLV. Some have said Richmond over duke was worth more too..

Can never catch a gd break.

Top Bottom