What? Its up and its good!

How is that good?

If the U is forced to take an all or nothing stance on alcohol sales, their decision will have to be nothing.

Their descision is not going to be "nothing." The bars are already built in the club level and membership areas of the building. They aren't going to be pouring kiddie cocktails to the guests of their donors who are giving tens of thousands of dollars per year (or more) to the U and want a drink. The House knows this (or maybe not, their members can be incredibly stupid quite often).

Hopefully the U can bypass this bill by serving 6 oz. cups of watered-down swill out of one tap somewhere in the concourse for $10.

If the bill requires all people to have access to the same drinks we have a much bigger problem. That could seriously handicap the U's ability to make the stadium work.

Direct your kind words here: [email protected]

AKA- the scumbag who probably just wants to do whatever he can to make TCF Bank Stadium fail.

Their descision is not going to be "nothing." The bars are already built in the club level and membership areas of the building. They aren't going to be pouring kiddie cocktails to the guests of their donors who are giving tens of thousands of dollars per year (or more) to the U and want a drink. The House knows this (or maybe not, their members can be incredibly stupid quite often).

Hopefully the U can bypass this bill by serving 6 oz. cups of watered-down swill out of one tap somewhere in the concourse for $10.

If the bill requires all people to have access to the same drinks we have a much bigger problem. That could seriously handicap the U's ability to make the stadium work.

AKA- the scumbag who probably just wants to do whatever he can to make TCF Bank Stadium fail.

so the jerk's name is rep. leon lillie huh? if so, look at the stupid mug on the S.O.B. who introduced this stupid bill in the first place. would like to punch him square in the teeth! :mad:

http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/members/photo.asp?district=55A

It just will not be sold, it will be given away. If this passes.

F-CK YOU REP. LEON LILLIE! YOU PRICK!

It just will not be sold, it will be given away. If this passes.

which is what is so asinine about it. all this rep. leon lillie jerk is doing is "tying the hands" of the gopher athletic program to SELL the tcf bank stadium suites and use the additional alcohol sales revenue that would have come from them to further support and advance gopher athletics and the university. yeah, sounds like a swell idea! now they will likely have to give alcohol away for FREE to the suite holders and make no revenue at all. it now becomes a cost center for the u of m, which is absolutely lame. let alone the potential this has (if it passes the senate and gov. pawlenty) to affect suite sales or those suites that are already sold if the u of m can't/won't give it away for free.

so, yes thanks for screwing over the u of m football program and the u of m athletic programs in general yet again! we just can't have too much of a good thing in minnesota can we?!

all i have to say is: f-ck you rep. leon lillie! and f-ck you to any rep. or senate member who votes for it! and f-ck you gov. pawlenty if you don't veto this part of the alcohol bill - if that is possible!

the short sightedness of this legislation and the obvious pandering rep. leon lillie and those who vote for it are doing to certain voting elements makes me want to puke! :mad:

It still blows my mind that they have nothing better to do than worry about the alcohol sales at TCF Bank.

It still blows my mind that they have nothing better to do than worry about the alcohol sales at TCF Bank.

i know. it is very, very sad that this is even something they are using their time on considering all the other pressing state issues that need to be solved. what a joke!

just wrote to my state senator

I agree completely that the legislature should not get involved with the University decision on the type of alcohol to serve in the Stadium. We should all tell this to our State Senators. Get your Senator's name and email address at http://www.leg.state.mn.us/leg/districtfinder.asp

thanks! i just wrote an email to my state senator asking her to vote against this measure since all it will do is hurt the u of m and nothing more. the measure is pointless and misguided.

The only way this is not complete lunacy on the part of the State House of Reps is if the U is quietly encouraging that this be incuded in the bill behind the scenes.

The reason they may do this: if they are having trouble moving high-donation product in this bad economy, the promise of free booze for a few years will sweeten the deal and make it worthwhile for a lot of the marginal corporate donors that were on the fence.

The policy can always change in the future. A few well-timed drunken run-ins around the stadium, combined with the U's threat to sell beer to the masses claiming "our hands our hands are tied - the law requires it" will have the legislature of the future rushing to repeal.

I thought you guys would like to know that I contacted my State Senator and Representative to thank them for sticking up for all Gopher fans with this legislation. They are doing the people's business by making sure that the University Administration doesn't forget about ALL the Gopher fans and taxpayers who helped pay for Gopher Stadium.

Question for anti-alcohol crowd

Just a question for everyone that is really against this possible law and think it is screwing over the U:

If the U decides to sell beer to everyone will you be really upset? If so, why? Would it ruin TCF stadium for you? I'm being serious and am curious why some are so mad.

Here's the bill

How is that good?

If the U is forced to take an all or nothing stance on alcohol sales, their decision will have to be nothing.

Here's the link to the bill: http://wdoc.house.leg.state.mn.us/leg/LS86/HF1342.0.pdf

The bill only requires that the application be for liquor sales throughout the stadium. I would argue that the U could still decide to sell various types of liquor where they see fit. The proposed law does not require that the U sell all types of liquor throughout the stadium -- just that they have a license that allows for it.

Just a question for everyone that is really against this possible law and think it is screwing over the U:

If the U decides to sell beer to everyone will you be really upset? If so, why? Would it ruin TCF stadium for you? I'm being serious and am curious why some are so mad.

Who's mad? Only those who want to buy alcohol. The anti-crowd isn't angered. In fact, I wouldn't mind if they sold beer to the minions. It would be okay. But, I realize that it likely won't happen and have moved on. No big deal. I don't need to drink at the game to enjoy it.

UpNorth & his ilk are the ones who are angered and passionate about it. That is what I don't get. I don't get how you can get so angry because you can't drink a couple of beers during a game. I am only angered at the thought that UpNorth, etc., think they are "entitled" somehow to drink a Budweiser at a Gopher football game and that somehow - in the midst of our state's budget crisis - lawmakers are wasting time on this at all. Now, that I can get angry about.

I thought you guys would like to know that I contacted my State Senator and Representative to thank them for sticking up for all Gopher fans with this legislation. They are doing the people's business by making sure that the University Administration doesn't forget about ALL the Gopher fans and taxpayers who helped pay for Gopher Stadium.

How nice of you. Perhaps you could also remind them of the thousands of more vital issues that they aren't going to get around to addressing this session.

This bill needs to die. As a common man ticket holder, I have absolutely no problem limiting alcohol sales to the premium seats. The premium seats sales are going to be the lifeblood of the athletic department. What's good for the athletic department is good for the university, which is good for the state. Eliminating alcohol sales from the premium seats will make them a much less attractive purchase.

Everyone needs to calm down a bit. Read the [proposed] law before you actually freak out.

Subd. 4a. State-owned recreation; entertainment facilities. Notwithstanding any other law, local ordinance, or charter provision, the commissioner may issue on-sale intoxicating liquor licenses:
. . . .
(3) to the Board of Regents of the University of Minnesota for events at Northrop Auditorium, the intercollegiate football stadium, or at no more than seven other locations within the boundaries of the University of Minnesota, provided that the Board of Regents Department of Public Safety has approved an application for a license for the specified location and provided that the application for a stadium or arena location allows for the legal sale of intoxicating liquor throughout the stadium or arena and does not limit the sale of intoxicating liquor to premium seating areas or suites.

It says nothing about the actual sale of intoxicating liquor - just the application. Plus, the law itself is designed to encourage the sale of liquor outside of premium seating areas so this is a good thing. Now, if this passes and the U doesn't sell liquor outside premium areas, the U cannot simply claim that it has a limited permit -- the nonsale of liquor outside premium areas would be the U's choice and they alone would have to answer to their dissatisfied costumers.

"I don't need to drink at the game to enjoy it."

That in a nutshell sums it up for me. I'll have a beer now and then, and if beer were sold at TCF I might have one if it were a warm fall afternoon or evening. But whether or not I can purchase a beer is way down at the bottom of the the totem pole. ... the game is the thing, the reason I'm there. If there's no alcohol allowed for the regular customers but there is for those in the suites, I'd still have zero problem with that.

Quote: Who's mad? Only those who want to buy alcohol. The anti-crowd isn't angered.

Apparently you haven't been reading Mr. Nagurski's posts on this issue. I am not upset about this issue in anyway. The only time that I think about it is when I read about it in GopherHole. I am just baffled by the number of posters who organize Gopher football games around getting drunk at their tailgates who are against the idea that beer would be sold to everybody of legal age at Gopher Stadium. Their is no logic to it and it makes absolutely no sense to me. Nobody has adequately made the case against it other than to say that they don't do it in other college stadiums. That's the kind of reasoning that my seven year old daughter uses. Needless to say I am not persuaded by it, and apparently many state legislators agree with me.

Quotes:

That in a nutshell sums it up for me. I'll have a beer now and then, and if beer were sold at TCF I might have one if it were a warm fall afternoon or evening. But whether or not I can purchase a beer is way down at the bottom of the the totem pole. ... the game is the thing, the reason I'm there. If there's no alcohol allowed for the regular customers but there is for those in the suites, I'd still have zero problem with that.

So what you guys appear to be saying is that since you don't want a beer at Gopher Stadium, then nobody else should be able to enjoy a beer either unless they are in a suite. Again, I am not persuaded by the depth of your reasoning. Why would you care if I and other fans want to pay $7.00 to have a beer at Gopher football games with all of the profits going to the U? A better way to put it is why would you not want as many people as possible to buy $7.00 beers at Gopher football games with all of the profits going to the U?

Quotes:

So what you guys appear to be saying is that since you don't want a beer at Gopher Stadium, then nobody else should be able to enjoy a beer either unless they are in a suite. Again, I am not persuading by the depth of your reasoning. Why would you care if I and other fans want to pay $7.00 to have a beer at Gopher football games with all of the profits going to the U? A better way to put it is why would you not want as many people as possible to buy $7.00 beers at Gopher football games with all of the profits going to the U?

At the dump I had a end seat in a large section. I want to sit and enjoy the game not pass beers one direction and money the other 15 to 20 times a game. And guess what. After the drunk fan drinks 5-10 beers, now he is off to the bathroom 5 times a games. I took a center seat at TCF, but I do hope they don't sever beer to the public in TCF.

I'm sorry but the irony of this post/username is making me lol.

If I've said it once, I'm sure I've said it three or four times. Flasks are relatively inexpensive and if you take care of them (and don't leave them under your seat when you leave like I did last year) they'll last for years. You split a pint of Jack Daniels with your buddy, $4/person/game, split a large Coke, and for about the price of a single beer you're having a nice stiff mixer. Lawmakers time isn't wasted, and you're on your way to being just that.

"So what you guys appear to be saying is that since you don't want a beer at Gopher Stadium, then nobody else should be able to enjoy a beer either unless they are in a suite."

No, what I'm saying is. ...

(A) I can take or leave alcohol sales at athletic events I attend, I don't need booze to enjoy a game; and

(B) I won't get all up in arms if some people in the crowd (suites) are allowed to consume and others (average Joes like me) aren't. I'm there to watch the game, not to whine (the Minnesota way), "Hey, why can he drink beer and I can't?"

Quote: "If I've said it once, I'm sure I've said it three or four times. Flasks are relatively inexpensive and if you take care of them (and don't leave them under your seat when you leave like I did last year) they'll last for years. You split a pint of Jack Daniels with your buddy, $4/person/game, split a large Coke, and for about the price of a single beer you're having a nice stiff mixer. Lawmakers time isn't wasted, and you're on your way to being just that."

You are correct and that is what makes the U's policy so idiotic. Not only will the U miss out on the revenue from selling $7.00 beers to everyone who wants one, they will have many more drunks to deal with who will sneak their flasks of hard liquor into the games.

"So what you guys appear to be saying is that since you don't want a beer at Gopher Stadium, then nobody else should be able to enjoy a beer either unless they are in a suite."

No, what I'm saying is. ...

(A) I can take or leave alcohol sales at athletic events I attend, I don't need booze to enjoy a game; and

(B) I won't get all up in arms if some people in the crowd (suites) are allowed to consume and others (average Joes like me) aren't. I'm there to watch the game, not to whine (the Minnesota way), "Hey, why can he drink beer and I can't?"

I think I was right the first time. Since you don't want a beer at Gopher football games, you don't think I should want (or have) one either.

Quote: Who's mad? Only those who want to buy alcohol. The anti-crowd isn't angered.

Apparently you haven't been reading Mr. Nagurski's posts on this issue. I am not upset about this issue in anyway. The only time that I think about it is when I read about it in GopherHole. I am just baffled by the number of posters who organize Gopher football games around getting drunk at their tailgates who are against the idea that beer would be sold to everybody of legal age at Gopher Stadium. Their is no logic to it and it makes absolutely no sense to me. Nobody has adequately made the case against it other than to say that they don't do it in other college stadiums. That's the kind of reasoning that my seven year old daughter uses. Needless to say I am not persuaded by it, and apparently many state legislators agree with me.

The logic is, the NCAA doesn't want liquor sold to the general public on campus. We don't want/need the NCAA on our ass or to have any beef with us. Sounds like a good enough reason to me. As an athletics dept, I don't think it's a good thing to have the NCAA pissed at you. Never know when you need a helping hand from the NCAA or never know when their swift hand will come down on you for something.

Top Bottom