What is the damn season ticket plan???

brucekaupa

**** Commander
Reaction score
The last communication I have from the U regarding season tickets is from June 3rd saying the season ticket payments are due August 27th. They've been weirdly silent since that time. Normally, I'd get an email about every 2 weeks reminding me of the deadline, but I seriously can't find any communication in the last 11 weeks.

They're not going to make a firm decision until they absolutely have to. We don't know yet if any fall bball is going to happen.

Don't expect a decision soon. Rest assured, you'll get your money back if that's what you want. So until then, just pay up as if you were getting season tickets like normal. Or don't, and you won't have them this year. Not sure how that would affect you for next year.

That's exactly the issue. Are they still expecting people to pay by Aug 27th?!? There has been *NO* communication in the last 11 weeks!

That's exactly the issue. Are they still expecting people to pay by Aug 27th?!? There has been *NO* communication in the last 11 weeks!
Then that means the answer is yes. If you want to be guaranteed season tix this year, then pay for them, by the deadline, as you would any other year.

As I said, I’m sure they’ll offer a full refund if games get reduced, etc. due to covid.

The general information I was able to find:
Current COVID-19 info

COVID-19 TICKET POLICIES & INFORMATION
Updated: August 11, 2020

Due to the uncertain nature of COVID-19, please note that athletic competition schedules are subject to change. In the event any games are canceled due to COVID-19 and not rescheduled, or if games are played under conditions that prohibit fans from attending, season ticket holders will be provided with options in response to these changes.
What happens if seasons are canceled or played without fans in attendance?
If seasons are canceled or played without fans in attendance, the Gopher Ticket Sales and Service Office will offer the following options to season ticket holders for that sport:

1. Season ticket orders may be converted to a 100% charitable donation to the Golden Gopher Fund
Fans may elect to convert any amount of their season ticket purchase or the scholarship seating portion of their order to a charitable donation. Donations will be converted to a 100% charitable gift and may be directed to the Golden Gopher Fund, which provides scholarship and program support to all Gopher student-athletes, or to the Athletics Director’s Excellence Fund, which supports the most pressing needs of the department.

RECEIVE DOUBLE POINTS: Fans that donate to one of the two funds above will receive 20 Gopher Score points per $100 donated for current year giving (traditionally 10 points per $100 donated).

By making a gift, your continued support will make a lasting impact on 675 Gopher student-athletes. Your investment will allow Gopher Athletics to provide student-athletes the necessary resources to achieve greatness.

Your charitable gift will boost your Gopher Score priority ranking and, most importantly, propel the program forward in building off of our historic 2019-20 season. As with all challenges, we know that together we will come out of this stronger. United Are We!

2. 2020-21 season ticket orders may be applied to the 2021-22 season of the same sport

3. Season ticket holders may request a 100% refund of the paid amount for the 2020-21 season

Only purchases through the University of Minnesota are subject to these policies. For purchases made through other entities, please communicate with the original point of purchase for questions on their refund and/or exchange policies. Additional information will be provided if, and when, a determination is made that results in the cancelation of specific events.
What are the deadlines to renew my season tickets?
  • Football & Women’s Volleyball Renewal Deadline: Thursday, July 16
  • Men’s & Women’s Hockey Renewal Deadline: To be determined
  • Men’s & Women’s Basketball Renewal Deadline: To be determined
What if fans are permitted to attend and I am uncomfortable attending events during the 2020-21 athletics season but want to return in 2021-22?
Unique to the 2020-21 athletics season, fans may forgo their season tickets in the current season and renew their same seats in 2021-22. Additionally, fans who have already renewed for the 2020-21 season may request that their renewal instead be applied towards the 2021-22 season.

Fans may also elect to convert their entire season ticket purchase and the scholarship seating portion of their order to a charitable donation. Donations will be converted to a 100% charitable gift and may be directed to the Golden Gopher Fund, which provides scholarship and program support to all Gopher student-athletes, or to the Athletics Director’s Excellence Fund, which supports the most pressing needs of the department.

RECEIVE DOUBLE POINTS: Fans that donate to one of the two funds above will receive 20 Gopher Score points per $100 donated for current year giving (traditionally 10 points per $100 donated).

By making a gift, your continued support will make a lasting impact on 675 Gopher student-athletes. Your investment will allow Gopher Athletics to provide student-athletes the necessary resources to achieve greatness.

Your charitable gift will boost your Gopher Score priority ranking and, most importantly, propel the program forward in building off of our historic 2019 season. As with all challenges, we know that together we will come out of this stronger. United Are We!

Fans who take advantage of this offering should expect the following:
  • Receive no season tickets for the specified 2020-21 season(s)
  • If fans elect to donate the cost of their season tickets or forgo renewing completely for the 2020-21 season, they will receive a renewal application for their current seat location of the specified 2021-22 season(s)
Season Ticket Holders interested in taking advantage of this offering must complete the online form below:
REQUEST FORM
As of August 11, 2020, the Big Ten Conference has postponed the 2020-21 fall sports season. Renewed Season Ticket Holders for football & volleyball have been sent direct communication on executing their options as outlined elsewhere in these policies.
What are the current Minnesota Department of Health guidelines on fan attendance?
Based on recommendations from local health officials and guidelines in place on the state and local levels, there will be a drastic reduction in the number of spectators permitted to attend Gopher sporting events. Current guidelines from the Minnesota Department of Health specify that venues must reduce occupant capacity to no more than 1,500 (outdoor venues) and 250 (indoor venues) patrons. Our staff is committed to working closely with government officials to monitor guidelines and adjust policies as needed.
How can I support Gopher Athletics during this uncertain time?
The University of Minnesota Athletic Department supports 675 student-athletes that compete at the highest level athletically, academically, and socially. Due to the uncertain nature of COVID-19, and the fiscal constraints it has placed on the department, philanthropic support is needed now more than ever. Visit the United Are We homepage to learn more about how you can make a lasting impact on Gopher student-athletes→
How does the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act impact giving to Gopher Athletics?
This Act was signed into law on March 27, 2020 to address the current health and financial crisis.

New Charitable Tax Deduction - Donors may deduct up to $300 in charitable gifts on their 2020 tax return even if they do not itemize deductions. This deduction is available for cash gifts to public charities. Stock gifts or gifts to donor advised funds do not qualify.

Example: A taxpayer who takes the standard deduction and makes a $300 cash gift to a public charity in 2020 may claim the $300 deduction in calculating their adjusted gross income. The deduction is in addition to the taxpayer’s standard deduction.

Cap On Annual Contributions Lifted - Contributions to public charities are generally limited to a percentage of a taxpayer’s adjusted gross income (AGI). The new law lifts the cap on annual contributions for those who itemize, increasing it from 60% to 100% of AGI for 2020. Any excess contributions can be carried forward over the next five years. For corporations, the new law raises the annual limit from 10% to 25% of taxable income.

Change to Required Minimum Distributions (RMDs) - RMDs from retirement accounts are temporarily suspended. Donors who would otherwise have to take their RMD do not have to do so for the 2020 tax year. Donors who are age 70 ½ can still make a tax-advantaged qualified charitable distribution from an IRA to charity and avoid the income tax that would otherwise be due on the distribution.

For more information about making a qualified charitable distribution from your IRA, please contact the Golden Gopher Fund at (612) 626-4653 or [email protected].
When can I upgrade my season ticket location?
Seat upgrades and adjustment have been suspended for all 2020-21 fall and winter sports seasons. Additional information on upgrades and seat adjustments will be available with season ticket renewals for 2021-22.
When will single game tickets be available for purchase?
All single game ticket on-sale timelines are to be determined for the 2020-21 season. Additional information will be made available in advance of any single game tickets going on sale.
Is the Gopher Ticket Sales and Service Office open?
Staff members of the Gopher Ticket Sales and Service Office are working remotely due to campus restrictions around COVID-19. We are available to assist Monday-Friday, from 9am-5pm CST, via email ([email protected]) and by phone (1-800-U-GOPHER).

If you are reaching us by phone, you will be prompted to leave a voicemail. One of our representatives will call you back within our normal hours of operation.

The whole thing shocks me, too. We all know this is an unusual situation, but I would have expected some communication that would outline options, etc. Biggest issue is not a refund of ticket cost, but what they do with the mandatory donation. From the above, it sounds like they would give that back to us, too, if there is no season. There have been issues at other schools who won't give the seat licensing "donations" back no matter what.

Men’s & Women’s Basketball Renewal Deadline: To be determined

That's really helpful

" Unique to the 2020-21 athletics season, fans may forgo their season tickets in the current season and renew their same seats in 2021-22. "

And that's interesting. Thanks for finding that, nooram

Then that means the answer is yes. If you want to be guaranteed season tix this year, then pay for them, by the deadline, as you would any other year.

As I said, I’m sure they’ll offer a full refund if games get reduced, etc. due to covid.

I wasn't really looking for your speculation here. I was looking for actual answers.

I wasn't really looking for your speculation here. I was looking for actual answers.
What I said is correct.

Comingnto GH should never be your first resort for “official” information. It’s either on gopher sports.com or it hasn’t been released publicly.

I would interpret it as "we're extending the due date, but if you want to send us $ now, we wouldn't mind."

The whole thing shocks me, too. We all know this is an unusual situation, but I would have expected some communication that would outline options, etc. Biggest issue is not a refund of ticket cost, but what they do with the mandatory donation. From the above, it sounds like they would give that back to us, too, if there is no season. There have been issues at other schools who won't give the seat licensing "donations" back no matter what.
Yep, the seating donation will be the interesting thing. If for any reason the U says they will not refund the seat donation fees I included with my season ticket payment, that will cinch my decision to just start fresh with a new program in 2021-22 (St. Thomas). I’m still young enough where I could get on board with following a new (D-1) program from the ground floor.

What I said is correct.

Comingnto GH should never be your first resort for “official” information. It’s either on gopher sports.com or it hasn’t been released publicly.

Interestingly, I've posted on their FB page, reached out on Twitter and left them messages in the ticket line voicemail. No response anywhere.

Yep, the seating donation will be the interesting thing. If for any reason the U says they will not refund the seat donation fees I included with my season ticket payment, that will cinch my decision to just start fresh with a new program in 2021-22 (St. Thomas). I’m still young enough where I could get on board with following a new (D-1) program from the ground floor.
They have already said that they will refund the seating donations if requested. They would prefer that you let them keep the money as a donation, but they will return it if that's what you want.

They have already said that they will refund the seating donations if requested. They would prefer that you let them keep the money as a donation, but they will return it if that's what you want.
I believe any payments for 2020-21 can also be put toward 2021-22.

I believe any payments for 2020-21 can also be put toward 2021-22.
Yep, three primary options. Turn it all into a donation, roll it over to next year or full refund. You can also elect to get some returned and have some treated as a donation. The communication may leave a bit to be desired, but they fully understand that they need us right now far more than we need them and will be very accommodating.

I'm sure it will be refunded. We opted to have our entire football package payment for this Fall refunded, versus rolled into next year. They refunded 100% of what we paid, ticket and donation. I'm certain it would be the same for hoops.

We decided to punt on season tickets for hoops. Combo of personal feelings towards covid (not personally looking forward to sitting in a packed arena) and reality of season looking much different. Better to keep our spot in line for next year. If we choose, can always buy a single game ticket this year (guessing lots available).

I'm sure it will be refunded. We opted to have our entire football package payment for this Fall refunded, versus rolled into next year. They refunded 100% of what we paid, ticket and donation. I'm certain it would be the same for hoops.

We decided to punt on season tickets for hoops. Combo of personal feelings towards covid (not personally looking forward to sitting in a packed arena) and reality of season looking much different. Better to keep our spot in line for next year. If we choose, can always buy a single game ticket this year (guessing lots available).
That’s how I’m leaning, too. As long as I don’t lose spot in line or current seats, this is a perfect season to watch from home. And like you said, sellouts are rare so tickets always available.

I'm feeling sure they will remind me of tomorrow's deadline!

I called today to ask the status of season ticket renewals.
Here's what I was told:
The deadline for renewal was eliminated, cancelled.
Everyone who has season tickets for this year has complete choice regarding what they want to do. If there is some kind of season and you [are 'too afraid to live' and] don't want to attend, that's fine. You can pick up where you are now next year. Refunds will be available for all, anyone who wants it, even if they select not to attend and there are some games.

From email from the U:
This year will be extremely different from previous seasons. Based on recommendations from local health officials and guidelines in place on the state and local levels, there will be a drastic reduction in the number of spectators permitted to attend Gopher sporting events. Current guidelines from the Minnesota Department of Health specify that venues must reduce occupant capacity to no more than 250 (indoor venues) patrons. With this reduction, we anticipate few or no spectators at home basketball games. Our staff is committed to working closely with government officials to monitor guidelines and adjust policies as needed.

Due to these realities, Gopher Athletics is taking the following steps to ensure its ability to adjust to the changing circumstances around COVID-19.

• If fans are permitted to attend home basketball games, a limited number of tickets may be distributed on an individual, game-by-game basis.
  • There will be no basketball season tickets. Your status as a season ticket holder remains unchanged, and your season ticket location will be retained for the 2021-22 season.
  • There will be no season ticket upgrade or adjustment process for the 2020-21 basketball season. Seat upgrades and change requests will take place prior to the 2021-22 season.
  • Gifts made after November 1, 2019 will continue to provide current year Gopher Score points through October 31, 2021.
As a season ticket holder that has renewed for the 2020-21 season, the following options are available:

1)
Any amount of your season ticket order may be converted to a 100% charitable donation to the Golden Gopher Fund.

DOUBLE GOPHER SCORE POINTS: Fans that donate all or a portion of their season ticket order to the Golden Gopher Fund will receive 20 Gopher Score points per $100 donated for current year giving (traditionally 10 points per $100 donated).​

2) 2020-21 season ticket orders may be applied to the 2021-22 basketball season. No action is needed to carry your credit forward to the 2021-22 season. Any amount credited from the 2020-21 season will automatically be applied to your 2021-22 season ticket purchase.

3) Season ticket holders may request a 100% refund of the paid amount for the 2020-21 season by reaching out to Gopher Fan Relations by calling 1-800-U-GOPHER or emailing [email protected]. Refund requests may take 4 to 6 weeks to process.

Refund requested. No idea if I've received it or not, but guessing I have.

Sucks to not be able to attend games. We love going to games. We were going to introduce our newborn to The Barn. Had those cool little ear things for him. Wanted to hold him up for the Simba deal. Oh well. bought a snowblower with the money instead

Few or no fans this year, per Strib:
Few or no fans
The Barn won't be rocking this season, but homecourt advantage could be non-existent across the college hoops landscape during the pandemic.

The Gophers men's and women's basketball teams are expecting to allow few to no spectators at home games this season at Williams Arena.

Minnesota's fans received emails about attendance for the 2020-21 season being "extremely different" from previous years, because of safety concerns with COVID-19.

The reality of having empty arenas is something college athletic departments across the country are bracing for this year.

"Based on recommendations from local health officials and guidelines in place on the state and local levels, there will be a drastic reduction in the number of spectators permitted to attend Gopher sporting events," the Gophers' email to fans stated. "Current guidelines from the Minnesota Department of Health specify that venues must reduce occupant capacity to no more than 250 (indoor venues) patrons. With this reduction, we anticipate few or no spectators at home basketball games. Our staff is committed to working closely with government officials to monitor guidelines and adjust policies as needed. In addition, it is possible these ticketing procedures will be revisited later as the season progresses, should guidelines change."

The Gophers men's basketball team is expected to open the season Nov. 25 against Wisconsin-Green Bay at Williams Arena. The Gopher women are scheduled to begin a day later at the Barn. The Big Ten basketball schedule hasn't been released yet. Neither has the nonconference slate for both U teams.

Gophers football's first home game vs. Michigan limited attendance to 800 family members of the team at TCF Bank Stadium. Cardboard cutouts were present in the crowd after being purchased by the general public.

The U is having the same fan cardboard cutout option for basketball and hockey<https://gophersports.com/sports/2020/9/24/fan-cutouts.aspx>. The deadline to submit entries for Ridder Arena and 3M Arena at Mariucci is Friday. The deadline for Williams Arena is Nov. 20.

Top Bottom