What is the biggest reason we are 10th in B1G standings?

• Trevor's injury

Votes: 31 41.9%
  • Lack of administrative support

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tubby's in-game coaching

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • Lack of player development

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • Lack of recruiting success

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • B1G is just too tough

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Lack of home crowd energy

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Bad luck

Votes: 3 4.1%

• Total voters

Stan

Reaction score

Transfers/Injuries from a roster perspective.

Otherwise inconsistency fueled by turnovers, poor shot selection, and giving up second chance points.

Spring recruits - Tubbys first choice recruits have been ok but the desperation moves for the spring guys is catching up to us. I was watching last nights game and caught myself thinking we have two players at the most that may contend for All Big Ten player status.

My selection would be:

Can't win at home. 2-4 in the Big Ten. ... yuck.

Losing to Iowa. I think that's it right there. That's two wins we should have had.

Not closing the Illinois game.

The overall reason, small stretches during games of laziness or just poor play. put together a full 40 minutes every game and they'd be just fine.

Take away these choices:

Lack of Barn energy- teams feed fans - just look at other arenas where you are not having success- our fans are pretty good
Lack of admin support- long term -yes. For this year's issues - no.
Big Ten too tough- it ain't going to get any easier. This would have been a good year to beat some teams - Wisky, Illinois, Iowa and Purdue come to mind.

and the rest of the list appears to be the right combination of factors.

According to the" Experts "we have a star is born by the name of Joe Coleman not getting enough PT. THE SCOUT SAYS the TM injury plus attrition of signed players are the reason we are not top 2 or 3 in Big Ten. If this problem continues to the significant detriment of the program than staffing issues need to be addressed

Have you ever seen a plow horse beat a race horse? No! That is the indication of the talent level between Minnesota and the likes of Ohio State. Chip S had a very good article this morning in the strib in regards to the talent on the two teams. He said: " The Buckeyes clearly have more talent, In fact, the Gophers probably only have one player, Rodney Williams, who could start for the Buckeyes, and even that's debatable" As the "Old Trapper" ( Bud Grant) said: " You win with good players"

Talent usually wins, but it doesnt always.

Have you ever seen a plow horse beat a race horse? No! That is the indication of the talent level between Minnesota and the likes of Ohio State. Chip S had a very good article this morning in the strib in regards to the talent on the two teams. He said: " The Buckeyes clearly have more talent, In fact, the Gophers probably only have one player, Rodney Williams, who could start for the Buckeyes, and even that's debatable" As the "Old Trapper" ( Bud Grant) said: " You win with good players"

I wouldn't start Rodney on that team. sf Smith has more perimeter skills and appears to be stronger. Rodney at sf wasnt working.

On a similar scenario how many of michigan st. players would start? I say Dramond Green is the only one as well and move thomas to sf.

A bigger difference is the players on the bench. pg scott is a mcdonalds all american. center a. williams was the 4th rated center, sf thompson #13 small forward. How many minn guys could make ohio st. roster? Rodney, andre, austin?

Haven't read Chip's column yet, but certainly there's a big talent gap between the Buckeyes and Gophers. I think we've got some good players with potentially bright futures who'll be able to compete in the B1G, but watching the game it crossed my mind that OSU's second 5 was more talented than our first 5.

If last night is any indication, it looks like Matta is finally starting to trust his bench players, which he should because they're talented.

Haven't read Chip's column yet, but certainly there's a big talent gap between the Buckeyes and Gophers. I think we've got some good players with potentially bright futures who'll be able to compete in the B1G, but as I was watching the game it crossed my mind that OSU's second 5 was more talented than our first 5.

If last night is any indication, it looks like Matta is finally starting to trust his bench players, which he should because they're talented.
Yeah, maybe. I'm thinking the game Saturday at Michigan will be be a better indicator. He sure isn't afraid to ride guys for most of the game and at times all 40 minutes. You think that short bench or lack of developing a bench might have been part of his downfall against MSU?

I would say that we're 10th because of three factors:
1) We're not that good
2) We're not that good because we're young
3) We're not that good because we're young and because of transfers and injuries

GopherHoopsFan

Lack of execution. We had 8 turnovers in 8 minutes during that 20-0 run last night. We had just 6 the rest of the game. We have times where we just do stupid things. The bad passes that end up being turnovers are not because of lack of talent.

Who's to blame? Probably both players and coaches.

I agree that Tubby's in game coaching and development of players has been poor...The luck has been poor too....Especially catching hot games from otherwise poor shooters like Buford and Taylor in our last 2 losses. But nothing was bigger than Trevor's injury. We'd be 8-5 or 9-4 now if that doesn't happen.

I agree that Tubby's in game coaching and development of players has been poor...The luck has been poor too....Especially catching hot games from otherwise poor shooters like Buford and Taylor in our last 2 losses. But nothing was bigger than Trevor's injury. We'd be 8-5 or 9-4 now if that doesn't happen.

+1

But nothing was bigger than Trevor's injury. We'd be 8-5 or 9-4 now if that doesn't happen.

Not sure about the record, but we certainly wouldn't be in this spot. There is simply no go-to player on this team without Trevor. They were hot, but look at what Taylor and Buford did in those games. How often did they hit a shot as time ran out? How many times did they make a play when needed? Those players keep the other team from making extended runs and they prevent long scoring droughts. We have nobody like that. Three games we had the ball with a chance to win. Maverick throws up wild shots in two of them and we had a freshman (against the best guard in the conference) trying to win it in the other. I don't know what the plan was, but that's ridiculous. Our leading scorer averages about 11 points a game. Not sure if there's a lower average for a leading scorer in the league. How many different guys have led the team in scoring this year? I'll bet that's a league high and it's not because of depth--it's because you don't know who to rely on from game to game. We've gone from Trevor to Julian to Rodney to Austin to Joe to Chip to Andre this year as possible go-to players. With Trevor gone, that guy ain't here. Maybe by next year someone will emerge--not going to happen this year.

How can Trevor's injury not be the single most important factor? I mean, all of those things are reasons, but the absolute "biggest" has to be Trevor's injury. I can't see how you could possibly think this team wouldn't be better with him out there. You don't lose All-conference type guys and just move on like nothing happened, NO ONE does, not even the OSU's and MSU's of the conference. They'd at least take a small step back, if not a larger one.

The biggest reason seems to be that too many fans are too accepting of the mediocre return in results that the program has received from its huge investment in this coach. Accept mediocrity, GET mediocrity.

All of the above except that the Big Ten isn't that good.

The biggest reason seems to be that too many fans are too accepting of the mediocre return in results that the program has received from its huge investment in this coach. Accept mediocrity, GET mediocrity.

"Huge" investment? Compared to whom? Augsburg? Sure. Compared to his peers (Big Ten coaches) Tubby has a slightly-above-average salary.

Man, it seems that turning the program around is easy! According to whathavewedone, all we need to do is demand more and it will happen. I think I'm going to buy a lottery ticket today after work, and if I don't win, I'm gonna get pissed at it, rip it up, and throw it in the garbage because, damn it, I demand more! Then the next time I buy one, I'll win for sure.

Not that I'm surprised by your response, but come on. No one here is in favor of accepting mediocrity year in and year out, but what do you expect? A very young team without it's best player to dominate the toughest conference in the league? How about a very young team without a handful of the its top recruits over the past few years? Do you think they should be capable of exceptional wins and constantly solid play? I get the high expectations you have, but fans' acceptance of mediocrity is not why the Gophers are in the position they are in. Get over it.

The overall reason, small stretches during games of laziness or just poor play. put together a full 40 minutes every game and they'd be just fine.

I would have to seriously disagree. There are plenty of teams that don't put together a full 40 minutes and don't fall to 10th in the conference standings. Successful college basketball programs are good for one reason and one reason only: Recruiting, and there really isn't a close second. In college hoops, the team with the better players -- not the better coach or gym or fans or weight-lifting facilities -- generally wins. Bottom line.

Tubby started hot with his recruiting in the first 2 years but has since fallen off the map. It's pathetic that he honestly thinks Buggs and some kid from Rice Lake are going to enhance this program.

I would have to seriously disagree. There are plenty of teams that don't put together a full 40 minutes and don't fall to 10th in the conference standings. Successful college basketball programs are good for one reason and one reason only: Recruiting, and there really isn't a close second. In college hoops, the team with the better players -- not the better coach or gym or fans or weight-lifting facilities -- generally wins. Bottom line.

Tubby started hot with his recruiting in the first 2 years but has since fallen off the map. It's pathetic that he honestly thinks Buggs and some kid from Rice Lake are going to enhance this program.

Well, first off. I think it's maybe a little pathetic that you're writing off 18 year old kids before they even get on campus. Secondly, if you're referring to recruiting flat-out "better" players, I think it's a lot less cut-and-dry than you're letting on. Do you mean players that are just more naturally skilled coming out of high school, or do you mean recruiting players that fit the system best? The development of players is extremely important to the success of programs like Minnesota. That's where coaching and the facilities come into play. Case in point: Wisconsin. How much of their success stems from recruiting top (and I mean elite) high school talent? We can't expect Tubby or anyone else to magically start regularly convincing 5-star players to come and play here.

In the grand scheme of things, I guess my point is that these factors (recruiting, coaching, facilities for player development, etc.) can all be tied together. It's doesn't make much sense to me to isolate one reason why we're not having success, when in reality, we need improvement in a lot of areas.

It's pathetic that you think Tubby is the only coach that thought that about those players. Seriously, nothing you say leads me to believe you actually know anything about basketball, especially since you act like you know more than a guy who has been coaching D1 basketball for years. Why do those 2 need to contribute right away next year? We will have 5 Sophomores, 3 Juniors, and 3 Seniors. Why do 2 Freshmen need to play?

Along with the generally crappy luck Tubby has encountered here, I think you can add he also hit a down cycle of local talent. Nobody stands out in the state this year. Last year it was basically only Coleman. Are there any Minnesota kids in next year's recruiting class that are top 100? And he was hired just in time to miss out on a couple of pretty years.

"Huge" investment? Compared to whom? Augsburg? Sure. Compared to his peers (Big Ten coaches) Tubby has a slightly-above-average salary.

Crazy talk. Over the past 5 years Tubby's average salary is about 3rd in the league. We have been paying top 10 coaches money for 5 years and getting Monson results. Those are the facts. Augsburg? Exaggerate much?

It's pathetic that you think Tubby is the only coach that thought that about those players. Seriously, nothing you say leads me to believe you actually know anything about basketball, especially since you act like you know more than a guy who has been coaching D1 basketball for years. Why do those 2 need to contribute right away next year? We will have 5 Sophomores, 3 Juniors, and 3 Seniors. Why do 2 Freshmen need to play?

Why? Lousy recruiting, transfers, and one injury. Thats why.

Top Bottom