What if Tim Brewster was a part of our...

wisky gopher

Reaction score
What if Tim Brewster was a part of our recruiting staff? I know that this is entirely hypothetical and wouldn't ever happen (I still can't believe he won at the Rose Bowl before we did), but still is an interesting thing to think about.

Now hear me out, I hate Brewster just as much as the next G'holer. I mean he ran our program into the ground, he really didn't have any reason to be a head coach at the NCAA level anyway (or any level for that matter). But it's hard to deny the unexplainable ability that he had to lure 4 star recruits to the Gophers. I love the job that Billy Glasscock and his recruiting staff has done thus far in finding under the radar guys like Eric Murray and Cedric Thompson, but finding that unknown talent is only half of it. Kill and his staff have groomed these unknown recruits into top level Big Ten talent.

So imagine if we had something like Brewster's '09 class and Kill as head coach. Kill would have been able to work with those 4 stars from their freshman year, certainly not all of them would have turned out, but with as talented as a class that that was, Kill would have done a much better job coaching them up than what Brewster did.

Again, this is entirely hypothetical, as many of the questions are here on Gopherhole so discuss away!

You would have to ask yourself "Are you hungry or are you starving?"

What if Tim Brewster was a part of our recruiting staff? I know that this is entirely hypothetical and wouldn't ever happen (I still can't believe he won at the Rose Bowl before we did), but still is an interesting thing to think about.

Now hear me out, I hate Brewster just as much as the next G'holer. I mean he ran our program into the ground, he really didn't have any reason to be a head coach at the NCAA level anyway (or any level for that matter). But it's hard to deny the unexplainable ability that he had to lure 4 star recruits to the Gophers. I love the job that Billy Glasscock and his recruiting staff has done thus far in finding under the radar guys like Eric Murray and Cedric Thompson, but finding that unknown talent is only half of it. Kill and his staff have groomed these unknown recruits into top level Big Ten talent.

So imagine if we had something like Brewster's '09 class and Kill as head coach. Kill would have been able to work with those 4 stars from their freshman year, certainly not all of them would have turned out, but with as talented as a class that that was, Kill would have done a much better job coaching them up than what Brewster did.

Again, this is entirely hypothetical, as many of the questions are here on Gopherhole so discuss away!
First, this staff does not have coaches whose value is mostly recruiting, so the premise is basically impossible.
Second Brewster was no better recruiter here than Mase was based on the guys who actually lasted for four years, in fact he might have been worse. A lot of the highly rated guys he got did not get into or stay in school, that is why other teams would not take them. Marqueis was about the only really highly rated player he got that lasted, and he probably should have been a WR all along. He really did not have the lateral cutting ability to be a great spread option QB.

First, this staff does not have coaches whose value is mostly recruiting, so the premise is basically impossible.
Second Brewster was no better recruiter here than Mase was based on the guys who actually lasted for four years, in fact he might have been worse. A lot of the highly rated guys he got did not get into or stay in school, that is why other teams would not take them. Marqueis was about the only really highly rated player he got that lasted, and he probably should have been a WR all along. He really did not have the lateral cutting ability to be a great spread option QB.
Ra'Shede

I'd take him as our TEs coach over Reeves any day of the week. Nothing against Reeves though since he has been with Kill for over 10 years. Kill seems to be much more thorough in evaluations than Brewster and only offers players that fit our system and our high character guys. Brewster may have taken a more highly touted QB like James Morgan but Kill took the lesser rated QB that fits the system better in Croft for example.

Jerry Kill would never hire Tim Brewster for his coaching staff. Kill connects with recruits with his genuineness, Brewster has never heard of that word, he's just the complete antithesis of Kill.

Brewster was a good recruiter of "other coaches' players". Terrible judge of talent. Terrible judge of character.

The Brewster technique was to see what players other programs offered and then go after them. He would then tell his position coaches what players to go after. Subset two was to recruit that player's best friend in order to reel them both in.

The Kill technique is to have his position coaches analyze what they need, have them find players that fit that need, research that player's abilities and character, and report back to Kill. Kill and Billy Glasscock coordinate each position coach's recruits with the roster needs and scholarship numbers, and then Kill authorizes an offer.

Slightly different.

I'd take him as our TEs coach over Reeves any day of the week. Nothing against Reeves though since he has been with Kill for over 10 years. Kill seems to be much more thorough in evaluations than Brewster and only offers players that fit our system and our high character guys. Brewster may have taken a more highly touted QB like James Morgan but Kill took the lesser rated QB that fits the system better in Croft for example.
I think that makes you a group of one. Reeves is a good coach and recruits kids who can get into and stay in school. He also actually is a good recruiter.

This thread makes it official, we have hit the saturation point of dumb things to talk about and we still have almost two months until the season starts. I'm only glad that I can do my part in all of this nonsense.

Your point is correct, however, so is mine. If Brewster had not been fired during or after year four these is about a 95% chance Rashede would have been out of school, which would have been at least as big a tragedy for him as for the program.

This thread makes it official, we have hit the saturation point of dumb things to talk about and we still have almost two months until the season starts. I'm only glad that I can do my part in all of this nonsense.
The best point of this thread so far.

Just wait until next week...

In away the quick turnarounds Michael Carter and Rashede Hageman had once Kill took over could give you indicater, but at the same time it's tougher to lure top talent to Minneapolis than it is to Chapel Hill, Austin and Tallahassee

I think that makes you a group of one. Reeves is a good coach and recruits kids who can get into and stay in school. He also actually is a good recruiter.

Yes, i like Reeves a lot but lets not kid ourselves. Brewster is a good enough recruiter/coach to get a gig at FSU who just happened to win the national championship this past year and become a an NFL tight ends coach as well. If you'd take Reeves over Brewster than you would take Sherels over Miller. I don't think many would do that.

Tell us about all these 4-star recruits Brewster landed after year 1...

Tell us about all these 4-star recruits Brewster landed after year 1...

Certainly:

Hayo Carpenter
Michael Carter
Hasan Lipscomb
Jimmy Gjere
Lamonte Edwards

What else would you like to know?

Top Bottom