What I see...

... Some of the solutions are pretty simple. I don't see poor shooting, I see bad shots.
It may just be the perfect storm of both.

I see poor facilities and the need to begin the quest for a new arena. Love the Barn and raised floor but it is time for a new venue. It is in fact a poor fan experience and does not impress recruits.

This titty looking structure is home to the Baylor Bears basketball team.
Baylor-University-Ferrell-copy-710x575.jpg

Scott Drew's recruiting classes from 2016 to 2019 ranked nationally at 41, 81, 36, and 126 respectively. You may be onto something.

Athletes village is one of the best training facilities in the country, williams may be outdated but is still a good venue for college hoops
No doubt about it but athletes look at all the facilities and the campus, the environment, the climate, the coach, the tradition, the playing time, the brand. If you ever tour schools around the country you just can not believe what some of these facilities look like, plus the really great ones stay ahead of the game by always improving. their donors are more than happy to pay it off.

So you are saying the Gophers should not shoot 3s? You statement indicates you do.

I see it completely differently. They are not good at shooting contested 3s. So you need to find ways to create space. Watch the games. Most 3s we take are taken on the move or with a hand in the shooter's face. There are ways to get open 3s and we miss the open shooter a ton.

Then bench will never look great when you play them for 3 minutes and outwardly there appears to be no rhyme or reason to the sub patterns. Do the players know what to expect? I am not entirely sure.

I think part of the problem is that defenders don't have to worry about Willis or Kalschuer going to the basket, they almost always shoot the three without considering driving, if you are defending all you have to do is get up close and bother their shot.

Classy. Keep shuffling in the place then and take the perennial proposition of losing. Until the facilities are vastly improved and the commitment is made in coaching, we will see the top 10 recruits in this state go elsewhere. This program could be and certainly should be a top 20 program guaranteed every year. So much talent has not even considered the home team. Now get back to watching Hoosiers for the 100th time.
Hoosier daddy?

Athletes village is one of the best training facilities in the country, williams may be outdated but is still a good venue for college hoops
To me, I love the Barn. I'd love to see them add on to the south side to make the lobbies and concession areas cool looking- industrial. It could look terrific. Put bench seats in the first several rows for the students and pack them into the best seats. The views in the Barn are amazing, close to the action even from the upper deck. Find ways to increase the amount of parking in the area.

To me, I love the Barn. I'd love to see them add on to the south side to make the lobbies and concession areas cool looking- industrial. It could look terrific. Put bench seats in the first several rows for the students and pack them into the best seats. The views in the Barn are amazing, close to the action even from the upper deck. Find ways to increase the amount of parking in the area.
Some of the problem of the barn is that it held up against the Metrodome, the Met Center and Met Stadium. It does not hold up well against, US Bank Stadium, TCF Stadium, Allianz Stadium, the newly designed Target Center, Target Field, Xcel Arena, etc. Fan expectations have risen and the barn remains the barn.

It's like a restaurant that serves okay food, looks a little dingy and still has the same prices as nicer place next door. You either need a superior product on the court, superior ambiance or both if you want to compete.

Let's just say they do build a new basketball arena. Do you see it being built where Williams arena is now? (play off campus for a year or two while it's being built?) What about the Pav?

Just watched last night's game:

• If you are a good shooting team and you have a low shooting percentage, you are taking bad shots.
    • Watching some of these games, most of our 3s are challenged. That is not offense. You can take a contested 3 at any point in the game. The key is to find a way to get more uncontested 3s.
      • We miss the open guy a ton. We take a mildly contested 3 when one more pass is a wide open 3.
      • When the double comes, kick it
      • When I draw 3 defenders, kick it,
      • If my teammate is more open than me, kick it
      • Do the above consistently and wins will come and shooting % will rise and everyone will have more fun
  • You need to establish clear roles for players and give them some time to do their thing. Basketball is a rhythm game, tough to get in a rhythm when you don't know when you are going to play or when you play for short stretches.
    • If anything, you just disconnect players unless you are a top notch communicator and are crystal clear with your expectations and get buy in.
  • We have won some games that probably reinforced bad play.
    • Players try to do too much when their teammates do too much. If I can't trust you to pass me the ball, I better do something when I get it. Everything breaks down from there.
Some of the solutions are pretty simple. I don't see poor shooting, I see bad shots.
Disagree. We have been getting LOTS of open threes. And “mildly contested” threes are open threes. Bad shooting has been our #1, # 2, and #3 worst problem.

No doubt about it but athletes look at all the facilities and the campus, the environment, the climate, the coach, the tradition, the playing time, the brand. If you ever tour schools around the country you just can not believe what some of these facilities look like, plus the really great ones stay ahead of the game by always improving. their donors are more than happy to pay it off.

I'm thinking Minnesota money will be focused on Fleck and the Football program for the short term, and some might go towards the hockey program if Motzko pulls off some magic from here on out this season or has a great season next year. And then, either we'll stick with Pitino giving him a chance to do something with what should be a much improved roster next year if Oturu comes back, and holding off on throwing money at the bb program until Pitino either succeeds or fails, or we'll go the cheap route when we replace him at the end of this season and take a chance to find the bb version of Fleck, which would also mean we'd have 2-3 years before having to pay the new coach good money if he's quickly successful. Not sure Minnesota/UMn can handle throwing lots of money at 2 or 3 revenue sports at the same time?

Just watched last night's game:

• If you are a good shooting team and you have a low shooting percentage, you are taking bad shots.
    • Watching some of these games, most of our 3s are challenged. That is not offense. You can take a contested 3 at any point in the game. The key is to find a way to get more uncontested 3s.
      • We miss the open guy a ton. We take a mildly contested 3 when one more pass is a wide open 3.
      • When the double comes, kick it
      • When I draw 3 defenders, kick it,
      • If my teammate is more open than me, kick it
      • Do the above consistently and wins will come and shooting % will rise and everyone will have more fun
  • You need to establish clear roles for players and give them some time to do their thing. Basketball is a rhythm game, tough to get in a rhythm when you don't know when you are going to play or when you play for short stretches.
    • If anything, you just disconnect players unless you are a top notch communicator and are crystal clear with your expectations and get buy in.
  • We have won some games that probably reinforced bad play.
    • Players try to do too much when their teammates do too much. If I can't trust you to pass me the ball, I better do something when I get it. Everything breaks down from there.
Some of the solutions are pretty simple. I don't see poor shooting, I see bad shots.

Good post, you are spot on. A lot of times this team is painful to watch because of what you stated above. Could you imagine Gabe on another team? Would be hitting so many more 3s, plays ran for him etc. Our offense is so stagnant

Hey, I've enjoyed how in the past our BB Arena has been lauded as a classic Arena and one of the Top rated home arenas in the country. I remember back to the mid 70s when UMn actually led the nation in cbb attendance.

BUT...

Thing is, something happened since then, the whole Clem fiasco.

And along with that, came TIME. Lots of it. Time suffering through sanctions and recovering from our bad reputation, etc..

And times have changed, young recruits don't pine for traditional things anymore. I think we need a new Cbb Arena/Practice Facility to be our next endeavor.

So I agree, I think it's time to move on and upwards. Time to move on

Gophs have a world class practice facility in the Athletes Village for both men's and women's Bball.

Top Bottom