What happened to the progression of Andre Hollins?

No, its really not his best position....Can he play it better with hard work and by improving his left hand? Of course!

Did you see him almost decapitate EE with that pass on Sunday? Or the turnover in the paint against Iowa when he jumped and tried to dump it off to Trev? He has way too many of those kind of plays in comparison to the nice bounce pass he fed to Trev on Sunday for the dunk after he had beaten his man. Illinois has some of the worst defensive guards in the league and he struggled to get free with dribble penetration. He would be so much better at the 2 spot, with a pass first PG drawing defenses to him. Dre can really shoot but he needs to get his feet set and have a little space...Its hard to do for Point Guards who handle the ball all the time.

Look at how much better Hulls has been this year for IU now that they have Yogi running the point.

If we have guards strong enough to take the Goose's head off with a pass, we have some real neck strength issues down low.

Exactly. If we can just get to the rim, I'll be happy. If the player misses there's probably a decent chance we're getting the ball back. The first step would be to set a decent screen for once for the guy with the ball.

Agreed. I think him driving more will result in more scoring, whether he's the one doing it or if he's dishing off to someone else. Hell, even if he misses the layup there's a good chance we'll get the offensive rebound.

I would like to see him more aggressive off the dribble. No reason he can't try to take it to the rim more often. He's going to be just fine though. I'm not worried about his progression.

He was plenty aggressive earlier this year when we actually ran an offense and Tubby let them fast break. Is it that puzzling to Holers why he was successful earlier, and now isn't? Would it have anything to do with Tubby wanting him to walk the ball up the court, have no movement on offense, and wanting him to work the shot clock down to 1 before shooting?

During Tubby's tenure, there has only been one player able to effectively drive the ball from the three point line and finish in the half court and that is Chip Armelin. Chip had the quickness, strength, handle and athleticism to get to the rim against the top conference teams. The rest of Tubby's guards have not been quick or athletic enough to do this , and therefore they struggle during conference play. Teams press up on the guards and force them into contested jumpers. Tubby should have convinced Chip to stay or recruited another player with his ability.

During Tubby's tenure, there has only been one player able to effectively drive the ball from the three point line and finish in the half court and that is Chip Armelin. Chip had the quickness, strength, handle and athleticism to get to the rim against the top conference teams. The rest of Tubby's guards have not been quick or athletic enough to do this , and therefore they struggle during conference play. Teams press up on the guards and force them into contested jumpers. Tubby should have convinced Chip to stay or recruited another player with his ability.

If Chip stays there is no Mbakwe. So who would you rather have?

Dre reminds me of Devoe Joseph. Dre is a better athlete. But they both had one signature move, a step back jumper. Both were off guards trying to learn point guard. Dre needs to drive more, he is becomming one dimensional. Also the only team in the entire NIT you would call a very good defensive team was Stanford, the rest liked to run which fit us to a tee.

If Chip stays there is no Mbakwe. So who would you rather have?
There are plenty of other guys on that second unit that I would have sent packing rather than Chip. He would have invaluable in spurts when we can't seem to create offense.

PiPress: Gophers basketball: Expecting more from on-and-off Andre Hollins

"I think he's got the potential to one day be Big Ten player of the year," teammate Trevor Mbakwe said.

"He's got to do so much for us," Smith said. "He's our best shooter, even though Austin (Hollins) is a good shooter. When Andre struggles, we struggle. Just like the other day when we were up at Michigan State. When he's on, we're good. We're probably going to win.

"In the Illinois loss, if he makes a couple more jumpers or gets to the free-throw line four times, we win. But people are focusing on him. That's what they're trying to do. So we're asking him to do a lot."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22586072/gophers-basketball-expecting-more-from-and-off-andre

Go Gophers!!

An indirect way to go about pointing the finger? That's how it sounds to me.

Not a fan of this tactic (starting wiff Hoff a couple years ago). Once in awhile is understandable -- I'd say even expected -- but seeing too much of this lately.

An indirect way to go about pointing the finger? That's how it sounds to me.

Not a fan of this tactic (starting wiff Hoff a couple years ago). Once in awhile is understandable -- I'd say even expected -- but seeing too much of this lately.

Agreed.

What if one of the players said "all it would take is a reasonable substitution pattern so we avoid big runs- then we win."

Andre Hollins guaranteed a winning Big 10 season. I see it on the video board every time I go to the barn in the "Get to know your Gopher" segment.

So we've had Trevor guarantee the NCAA Tournament and Andre Hollins guarantee a winning Big 10 season. In conclusion, someone (Tubby) should tell these 24 and 19 year old kids to shut up when it comes to guarantees. In your teens and twenties, you don't have the mental toughness to say that and not have it affect the way you play.

Top Bottom