What grade would you give the Gophers coaches in the win at Iowa?

What grade would you give the Gophers coaches in the win at Iowa?

• A

Votes: 34 21.1%
  • B

Votes: 45 28.0%
  • C

Votes: 46 28.6%
  • D

Votes: 32 19.9%
  • F

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters
The defense was amazing. I thought they played great but also understand that Iowa’s offense is the worst we have seen this year by far. Offensively I was very happy with the adjustments we made at the half and started being more aggressive and throwing the ball. We just couldn’t get the ball in the end zone.

A win at Kinnick can't be anything other than an A. The only way Iowa wins is the with turnovers and big special teams play. The Gopher coaches went in with a strategy that reflected those factors and it worked out in the end.

I went B, but considering the penalties, drops and bad passes are more on execution of the players, the coaches probably more A- range.

Defensive adjustments were made each possession and by the time we got the 2nd quarter, Iowa had no chance on offense.

Remember, they scored the TD because we gave them 45 yards and new set of downs on 4 penalties. They should have punted from midfield.

The offense was hampered by injuries, a couple bad gap reads by Sean Tyler, and drops by everyone but Jackson.

Special teams, well, our return teams and coverage teams still suck.

Offense = B+
Defense = A+
Special teams = D

I went B, but considering the penalties, drops and bad passes are more on execution of the players, the coaches probably more A- range.
I do not get the people bashing the coaches. I kind of wonder if those people have ever watched Iowa play....this is the kind of game they force teams to play and they thrive in. Their defense and special teams are very good and they make you earn everything.

Outside of the slow start and the sequence before the half (which was 100% on the players) the defense played phenomenal. The offense struggled but much of that was self inflicted by players dropping passes or Athan missing some open guys.

Haven't seen it talked about much yet but that drop by BSF near the goal line could have completely shifted the game. If he catches the ball that is perfectly thrown and hits him right in the hands we have first and goal from 2 or 3 yard line.

Against Iowa you have to play it safe and avoid mistakes. For the most part we did that which is why we came out of there with the W.

I do not get the people bashing the coaches. I kind of wonder if those people have ever watched Iowa play....this is the kind of game they force teams to play and they thrive in. Their defense and special teams are very good and they make you earn everything.

Outside of the slow start and the sequence before the half (which was 100% on the players) the defense played phenomenal. The offense struggled but much of that was self inflicted by players dropping passes or Athan missing some open guys.

Haven't seen it talked about much yet but that drop by BSF near the goal line could have completely shifted the game. If he catches the ball that is perfectly thrown and hits him right in the hands we have first and goal from 2 or 3 yard line.

Against Iowa you have to play it safe and avoid mistakes. For the most part we did that which is why we came out of there with the W.
🤜🤛

Gave them a B.

A -Defense was good in the 1st Half and great in the 2nd.
C+ - Offense was awful in the 1st Half. Not good in the 2nd Half either but they outplayed the Iowa Offense in virtually ever facet of the game and did it while down to one Running Back.
C- - Special Teams were awful. Why nobody on the team can field a kick is beyond me. Though Kesich and Crawford were both very good

Not sure how to grade the Coaching, but it helped get Floyd back. Added up the above and gave them a B. Just glad they have MSU next week though not sure who's gonna run the ball for them.

Last edited:

FWIW, Barreiro devoted about half of his Sunday morning show to the game.
It was a rip-fest the whole way. Called Fleck "gutless" on several occasions. He mocked Gopher fans for celebrating the victory.

He also said Iowa should be ashamed for putting a QB on the field who has no place playing D1 football.

C for me. Offense sucked. Winning Floyd back rocked

Defense gets an A. Offense get a B. Special teams gets C-.
Offense got a B?? Did we watch the same game? The offense had numerous chances the 2nd half to put the game away and went 3 and out, how many times? I knew what the gophers were going to run when they came to the line of scrimmage...

Special Teams gets a C-?? Do you realize the only points we scored were BY the Special Teams? Yes, I realize our coverage is god awful and we can't return anything either BUT we won because of our Kicker and he's a part of the ST's.

That had to be the worst offensive game from both teams that I've ever witnessed. QB play on both sides was atrocious, luckily their side was worse than our side! Neither team deserved to win and it didn't seem like either offensive coaching staff wanted to win this game - the creativity between the 2 OC's was awesome... awesomely horrific!!

They WON!! The fact the football gods finally influenced the outcome FOR the gophers shocked and amazed me!

Last edited:

Floyd coming home = automatic A

It was a rip-fest the whole way.
As PA once told me - half the people love Dan, half the people hate Dan, everyone listens to Dan
Called Fleck "gutless" on several occasions.
Probably true. Especially first half and late.
He mocked Gopher fans for celebrating the victory.
That’s just dumb. Ugly wins count the same. Floyd is Floyd.
He also said Iowa should be ashamed for putting a QB on the field who has no place playing D1 football.
This is really why I responded to your post. I have to honestly say that he may have a point. Likely the worst I can recall.

As PA once told me - half the people love Dan, half the people hate Dan, everyone listens to Dan

Probably true. Especially first half and late.

That’s just dumb. Ugly wins count the same. Floyd is Floyd.

This is really why I responded to your post. I have to honestly say that he may have a point. Likely the worst I can recall.

Yup. Ugly wins are wins. If this was what Dan was saying, ha that's silly. If we used the same mentality in other games and sports, we can say all sorts of nonsense. If the Vikings played in the Super Bowl and their opponent lost their main QB in the previous game, should the Vikings fans not celebrate a victory should they win? If so, I have a lot previous playoff games I'd like to get a redo on because my team wasn't fully ready for whatever reason.

It was a rip-fest the whole way. Called Fleck "gutless" on several occasions. He mocked Gopher fans for celebrating the victory.

Shhhhhocking.

There is no way to give a D or F after taking home the pig…unless you’re an Iowa fan or just a troll on this board.
Out of curiosity, if that punt return stood and gophers lost what grade would you have given them? Full disclosure I gave them a C for the game.

When the Gophs brought home the Axe for the 1st time in 15 years and there was an impromptu rally, did you criticize that too?? That wasn't a beautiful game either but it was fantastic.

If so, I feel sorry for you.

You do what you do to win the game. A all the way.
A win is a win, but if you watched that game and gave an "A" grade, I feel sorry for you.

We shouldn't apologize, but beating the offense they put on the field Saturday is something we should have expected, not prayed for.

Top Bottom