What grade would you give the Gophers 2024 HS recruiting class?

What grade would you give the Gophers 2024 HS recruiting class?

• A

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • B

Votes: 84 64.1%
  • C

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • D

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This is better for us compared to our past, but doesn't it seem like other B1G schools in the lower tier with us are also getting more highly rated recruits than the past? More TV money and exposure, and being in a tougher more respected conference should give us an advantage when recruiting against other P5 schools not in the big two conferences, right? Is there an easy way to check this? It does seem like PJ is winning more battles against other P5 schools, but is that the case across the B1G? As mentioned previously, our recruiting seems to have ticked up a little, but we are still near the bottom of the B1G.
Not really. Behind WI and NE, about same as Iowa, and ahead of PU and Ill in average player rating. Iowa also had a strong in state (as in in the state of Iowa) class with 4 4 star players (more than which gives them easier guys to target to inflate that in state rating. We’re all around that 87-88 range again (there seems to be about a 1 pt variance each year but it also feels like 247 is dragging up recruits ratings overall over time)

I have no idea how to assign a grade based on potential.

On paper, the class looks positive.

but here's what hit me. this is supposedly Fleck's best class at MN. but it's still only ranked something like 36th nationally - and I think 10th out of 18 teams in the B1G.

that just shows the ongoing gap between the top 20 or 25 teams and everybody else. and in the age of NIL, closing that gap is going to be a challenge.
38th and 12th on 247. I get what you are saying about this year. On paper, 2018 might have been a bit better. I'm good with classes ranked in this area (30-40) but it all comes down to how well they are developed.

On paper, the 2021 class might have been slightly better, but a bunch of the top players eventually left (Irving, AK, Booker, Ortiz, Schuster, etc.). I'm hoping the combination of more local kids (easier to analyze locally) and transfers (real college history on tape) help keep the better classes together and results in better quality. That 2021 class should been a bigger contributor this year but left a noticeable hole.

1703190423918.png

38th and 12th on 247. I get what you are saying about this year. On paper, 2018 might have been a bit better. I'm good with classes ranked in this area (30-40) but it all comes down to how well they are developed.
At this point it is almost less about development and more about retention. The big thing for me is that our talent seems comparable to the likes of Wisconsin and Iowa. In the past that was not the case, in recent years there doesn't seem to be a talent gap at all between us and our main rivals.

I'm not worried about Wisconsin's slightly higher rated class. Fickell signed very few in-state HS kids so I'm guessing a big chunk of those kids end up transferring. The top 2 are from Maryland (overrated) and #4 from PA, all a long way from home. Bye bye to some of those.

I gave the class a C, definitely a PJ esque class. Like the qb, love Perich, but after that I notice a lack of depth and excitement. Maybe Im not looking deep enough into the rest of the class, but I think it's very mediocre, which is why I made the connection to PJ.

Looking at our rivals, Wisconsin is coming off a nice class and Fickell seems to be a better recruiter than Chryst, which leaves me a little concerned at that, but Iowa Im less scared of because it seems PJ may have finally figured out how to beat them, and they don't recruit much better than us.

How will this class stand up to the blue bloods in the conference? Not very good in my opinion, but I am just a joe shmo.

All in all, good class to compete with our rivals and beat the bottom of the b1g, but I'm still searching for hope that we can return to that upper tier we were apart of in 2019 and 2021.

Last edited:

The portal grade is the QB. Had to get that. Then look at who all is on the team.

Portal for what Gophers can afford was 100% bullseye to me. Can't have it all.

Unless you don't like the QB.

Top Bottom