What grade would you give the Gophers 2024 HS recruiting class?

• A

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • B

Votes: 84 64.1%
  • C

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • D

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

Incomplete or unknown would be the only accurate grade since we won't actually know how good the class was or wasn't for multiple years.

But I went with B. Got some nice headliners at the top, and the class is very much in line with what Wisconsin and Iowa are bringing in talent wise on paper.

I gave it a B. Good class. A would mean more so called 4 stars. Yet it could be an A depending upon on how all these guys pan out. We should do a poll of the guys who committed 4 years ago or so and see how that class panned out. Always tough to predict the future.

I have no idea how to assign a grade based on potential.

On paper, the class looks positive.

but here's what hit me. this is supposedly Fleck's best class at MN. but it's still only ranked something like 36th nationally - and I think 10th out of 18 teams in the B1G.

that just shows the ongoing gap between the top 20 or 25 teams and everybody else. and in the age of NIL, closing that gap is going to be a challenge.

I voted a B. Time will tell, but today it looks like a solid B compared to other programs. However, it’s one of our best classes ever, so an A for that.

Gave it an A when viewed against all prior Gopher classes of which I am aware. Also an A given the paucity of NIL dollars the Gophers have to throw at top recruits. PJ has snagged several guys with realistic NFL potential, and has a few more with great potential. Also, we got some true top-quality recruits out of Iowa and Wisconsin, which is a big breakthrough in my book.

Probably a solid B when compared to B1G schools generally. An A-/B+ when compared to P5 schools as a whole. All in all, I’m quite pleased.

The only thing that is a "?" In my opinion is did we get a playmaker /weapon for the offense.

T Hill on the Dolphins.
T Dell on the Texans
D Swift on the Eagles

A speedy playmaker on offense opens up everything due to the D having to pay extra attention.

When we had Bateman and Johnson, the D had to pick their poison.

The WR from MN may be that guy. We will find out.

As always, its an incomplete. The reality is we can expect close to 50% of the newbies to be gone in two to three years.

I gave it a C being ranked in BIG as #11 by 247 #13 by Rivals

It's relative. Compared to peers like Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Maryland, Mich State...

I like the o-line guys coming in. Everything starts there.

The big get was the transfer portal QB Brosmer. Quarterback is by far the most important position in football.

Gophers have a large number of guys rated 3 stars including 5 87's.

1703161551356.png

Tough to grade. Some really top-drawer guys but I wonder about the overall depth to the class. I went C, not because of the talent-level of the recruits/transfer, but because it's the closest thing the the "Incomplete" that MNVCGUY referenced. Could be some freshman contributors.

A speedy playmaker on offense opens up everything due to the D having to pay extra attention.

When we had Bateman and Johnson, the D had to pick their poison.

The WR from MN may be that guy. We will find out.
Hoskins? Or Jalen Smith from Mankato?

C

How the hell are people giving PJ an A? He’s ranked between 10th and13th in the big ten. Overall it’s not strong.

C

How the hell are people giving PJ an A? He’s ranked between 10th and13th in the big ten. Overall it’s not strong.
It's an A til it's not. How can you give a grade before they've entered school?
As Wren would say...Big Ten wins.
I'll give this class a grade in 4 years.

Hoskins? Or Jalen Smith from Mankato?

I am hoping that one of them can be that guy. Then the next question is, does our OC use him for WR screens, crossing routes against LBs, and jet sweeps and RPO's.

C

All comes down to what you are grading based on. If you are comparing our class to Ohio State then yeah an A would be foolish. If you are comparing our class to historical classes at Minnesota the rating will be much higher.

The 10th-13th part is meaningless though. There are basically 2 tiers of classes in the Big Ten. This year it looks like they will probably breakdown like this:

Tier 1 - Ohio State, Oregon, Michigan, Penn State, USC
Tier 2 - Everyone else.

I'm really torn... I'll give h.s. recruiting a b... Portal right now I'm down on... C-

Overall I'll nudge it a bit and go b- as an overall grade

It's an A til it's not. How can you give a grade before they've entered school?
As Wren would say...Big Ten wins.
I'll give this class a grade in 4 years.
That’s a totally fair way to grade them I agree

All comes down to what you are grading based on. If you are comparing our class to Ohio State then yeah an A would be foolish. If you are comparing our class to historical classes at Minnesota the rating will be much higher.

The 10th-13th part is meaningless though. There are basically 2 tiers of classes in the Big Ten. This year it looks like they will probably breakdown like this:

Tier 1 - Ohio State, Oregon, Michigan, Penn State, USC
Tier 2 - Everyone else.
Fair enough. I never said it was bad I just didn’t think it’s an A

Just grading hs given portal still very open. Went with a b given the headliners and power 5 offers but still lagging to Wisconsin and firmly below Nebraska. We won’t compete with the likes of OSU Mich OR and USC but we’re mid pack against our competition so that makes it a B

This is better for us compared to our past, but doesn't it seem like other B1G schools in the lower tier with us are also getting more highly rated recruits than the past? More TV money and exposure, and being in a tougher more respected conference should give us an advantage when recruiting against other P5 schools not in the big two conferences, right? Is there an easy way to check this? It does seem like PJ is winning more battles against other P5 schools, but is that the case across the B1G? As mentioned previously, our recruiting seems to have ticked up a little, but we are still near the bottom of the B1G.

C

I'd didn't give it an A but did give it a B. My reasoning:

- Signed the top player in the state that happened to have some very big offers.
- Signed the top rated player from two neighboring states. And they play OL and DL.
- Signed the 23rd ranked QB in the country according to 247. QB obviously also a very important position.

The rankings don't take into account what positions each guy plays. All positions are important of course but QB clearly is the most important and both sides of LOS is next IMO.

Grading potential is very difficult but I went with a B. I like the fact that PJF signed 6 kids from MN. n was able 2 hang onto Perich. Time will tell….

Top Bottom