What grade would you give Gophers coaching in BTT loss to Michigan State?

• A

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • B

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • C

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • D

Votes: 40 49.4%
  • F

Votes: 8 9.9%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

A D...and I am grading on a curve. The second half was really bad and watching MSU adjust away from what wasn't working and watch us play just some awful basketball with no real changes highlighted it. Some of it was just bad play out of guys like Payne and Garcia, but I mean the scheme never changed whether we were winning or losing. We never put pressure on the MSU defense, we never played with any speed or tenacity...we just kind of glided through the game and hoped either MSU would miss shots or we would match them. Even when we were playing 4 guards we played slow and boring.

MSU was beatable...and we let them off the hook.

Fair is fair, I gave Ben a lot of credit when the team played well and this game he has to take some heat. The second half the team looked lost and completely shaken.

I have yet to see this team string together 2 complete halves of basketball. The collapses down the stretch have had the same issues crop up over and over again. Prolonged scoring droughts, sustained defensive lapses, then panic, push and turn it over. Once it starts, it just seems to snowball out of control.

Didn't like Carrington in down the stretch because the Gophers couldn't score. But Garcia and Payne played awful down the stretch and that was the real issue IMO. Too many turnovers, missed bunnies, lack of rebounding and missed free throws.

Either someone is drunk or they don't know how the alphabet works because there is no world where the coaches should get an A even trolling. :p

Didn't like Carrington in down the stretch because the Gophers couldn't score. But Garcia and Payne played awful down the stretch and that was the real issue IMO. Too many turnovers, missed bunnies, lack of rebounding and missed free throws.

Not to mention Garcia and his stupid need to shoot 3s he can't hit with any consistency.

C. Difference was that they made shots in the second half and the Gophers didn't. Garcia played just okay and we needed more. Payne had a brutal stretch in the second half that really hurt.

C. Difference was that they made shots in the second half and the Gophers didn't. Garcia played just okay and we needed more. Payne had a brutal stretch in the second half that really hurt.

Did you watch the game? 28 of their 45 points in the 2nd half were layups/dunks. And they made 7 FT's. They made 4 jumpers all 2nd half(Hoggard's 3 was wide open). It was awful defense.

Did you watch the game? 28 of their 45 points in the 2nd half were layups/dunks. And they made 7 FT's. They made 4 jumpers all 2nd half(Hoggard's 3 was wide open). It was awful defense.

Akins, Hoggard and Holloman combined for 13/15. 4/4 from three. Game was close up until the end. A few more misses and the game comes down to the wire. Please miss me with the BS that those shots didn't matter.

Akins, Hoggard and Holloman combined for 13/15. 4/4 from three. Game was close up until the end. A few more misses and the game comes down to the wire. Please miss me with the BS that those shots didn't matter.

35 of their 45 points in the 2nd half were layups/dunks or FT's. They shot 4/10 from the field on jumpers in the 2nd half. Spare me with your BS for once. It was a bad 2nd half defensive performance.

Here derp they just made shots...nothing we could do....certainly not Coach Ben Johnson's fault....just unlucky....gotta stay with the narrative....herp derp herp derp

Here derp they just made shots...nothing we could do....certainly not Coach Ben Johnson's fault....just unlucky....gotta stay with the narrative....herp derp herp derp

Also of note for @stocker08 :

Jump shots made in the 2nd half:
Michigan State - 4
Gophers - 5

His "analysis" couldn't be more wrong.

35 of their 45 points in the 2nd half were layups/dunks or FT's. They shot 4/10 from the field on jumpers in the 2nd half. Spare me with your BS for once. It was a bad 2nd half defensive performance.

Thanks for the strawman. Never said that the Gophers played good defense in the second half. What I said was that MSU was hitting their shots and the Gophers weren't. Take a look. During that big second half run....MSU knocked down both threes. Six point matter in a game that otherwise would have been very close.

I think you know that....but have nothing better to do than nitpick.

Also of note for @stocker08 :

Jump shots made in the 2nd half:
Michigan State - 4
Gophers - 5

His "analysis" couldn't be more wrong.

Want to check out shooting percentage on those shots....or is this the extent of your "analysis".

Thanks for the strawman. Never said that the Gophers played good defense in the second half. What I said was that MSU was hitting their shots and the Gophers weren't. Take a look. During that big second half run....MSU knocked down both threes. Six point matter in a game that otherwise would have been very close.

Herp derp...

You've got to get a new bit.

Their shots were layups/dunks. They made 4 jump shots in the 2nd half. Yes, they made two 3 pointers, which if memory serves were wide open. I'm not nit picking. Your analysis of they made shots and we didn't is just awful analysis.

Their shots were layups/dunks. They made 4 jump shots in the 2nd half. Yes, they made two 3 pointers, which if memory serves were wide open. I'm not nit picking. Your analysis of they made shots and we didn't is just awful analysis.

Did they not shoot better than the Gophers? Do you need to recheck the box score and have me explain numbers and percentages to you?

Want to check out shooting percentage on those shots....or is this the extent of your "analysis".

We were 5 for 12 on jumpers. And one of them was a Fox 3 pointer. Again, your "analysis" is very wrong.

We were 5 for 12 on jumpers. And one of them was a Fox 3 pointer. Again, your "analysis" is very wrong.

Gophers shot 36% from three compared to MSU shooting 62%. Do you need help with numbers?

And yes....even layups are considered shots. How many layups/dunks did the Gophers choke on? There were at least three point blank in the second half.

Gophers shot 36% from three compared to MSU shooting 62%. Do you need help with numbers?

And yes....even layups are considered shots. How many layups/dunks did the Gophers choke on? There were at least three point blank in the second half.

Yeah, for the game they shot better from 3 than we did. However, your analysis was, "they made shots in the second half and the Gophers didn't."

That's not correct. MSU was 4/10 on jump SHOTS in the 2nd half(with 2 made 3's). We were 5/12 on jump SHOTS in the 2nd(with 3 made 3's).

MSU made layup after layup(or FT's) in the 2nd half. In fact 78% of their points in the 2nd half were layups/dunks or FT's. I attribute that to bad defense. Maybe you attribute that to MSU being elite at making layups/dunks.

Yeah, for the game they shot better from 3 than we did. However, your analysis was, "they made shots in the second half and the Gophers didn't."

That's not correct. MSU was 4/10 on jump SHOTS in the 2nd half(with 2 made 3's). We were 5/12 on jump SHOTS in the 2nd(with 3 made 3's).

MSU made layup after layup(or FT's) in the 2nd half. In fact 78% of their points in the 2nd half were layups/dunks or FT's. I attribute that to bad defense. Maybe you attribute that to MSU being elite at making layups/dunks.

Layups and dunks are both shots. While we typically consider them to be close to automatic....they aren't always. The Gophers missed several that they never should have missed while MSU converted their opportunities. Again....you are nitpicking just to be contrary for whatever reason.

Layups and dunks are both shots. While we typically consider them to be close to automatic....they aren't always. The Gophers missed several that they never should have missed while MSU converted their opportunities. Again....you are nitpicking just to be contrary for whatever reason.

Yeah, MSU missed their fair share too. I'm not nitpicking. For whatever reason you can't say the defense was bad. THAT was the difference in the 2nd half. Not MSU shooting lights out(because they didn't)

Yeah, MSU missed their fair share too. I'm not nitpicking. For whatever reason you can't say the defense was bad. THAT was the difference in the 2nd half. Not MSU shooting lights out(because they didn't)

I never said that the defense was good! In the game thread I said the Gophers didn't play well enough. I said that MSU won the hustle battles. I said that MSU made their shots and the Gophers didn't.....because during that 15-2 stretch in which MSU took control.....they were making their shots....including a couple threes.....and the Gophers missed several point blank shots that they get 95% of the time. It completely swung all momentum and the Gophers never recovered.

You are just manufacturing things to argue with me about at this point.

And you think my emojis sux?
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
🤨🤨🤨🤨🤨🤨🤨🤨🤨🤨🤨
🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐
🥸🥸🥸🥸🥸🥸🥸🥸🥸🥸🥸

Top Bottom