What grade would you give Athan Kaliakmanis in his return to his home state for the NW game?

What grade would you give Athan Kaliakmanis in his return to his home state for the NW game?

• A

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • B

Votes: 30 39.0%
  • C

Votes: 25 32.5%
  • D

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • F

Votes: 4 5.2%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

What is with Kaliakmanis lack of poise in the pocket and indecisiveness in the heat of the moment. If there was one thing I thought about him is he would remain a confident kid and not lose his S under duress. One thing that has really bothered me this season is his wildness with his feet and jumping around. You saw the NW QB set himself scan the field and use correct fundamentals with his feet. AK has had terrible feet all season and it is causing him to be late, high and fire wide because of poor fundamentals. I think even his HS coach would want to kick him in the butt for bad undusciplined feet.

He has completions
But even in his good plays he holds the ball too long

It is possible to be coached out of him. But I don’t think it is possible for him to be a good QB this year. Hoping he is or someone else is by next year.
It is possible he is a serviceable QB this year. He was in the first half last night.

Can't give a responsible grade to the student when the instructor doesn't rise even to the level of a 1st year TA. Pass on this one.
I'm in agreement with this. Something has clearly changed in coaching QB's and it is not for the betterment of the student athlete. Harbaugh needs to pull his head out of his are.

Can't give a responsible grade to the student when the instructor doesn't rise even to the level of a 1st year TA. Pass on this one.
Agreed. He did what he was asked to do basically. I'm sure he'd love to be given the opportunity to take more shots down field, but alas...........

What is with Kaliakmanis lack of poise in the pocket and indecisiveness in the heat of the moment. If there was one thing I thought about him is he would remain a confident kid and not lose his S under duress. One thing that has really bothered me this season is his wildness with his feet and jumping around. You saw the NW QB set himself scan the field and use correct fundamentals with his feet. AK has had terrible feet all season and it is causing him to be late, high and fire wide because of poor fundamentals. I think even his HS coach would want to kick him in the butt for bad undusciplined feet.
I rag on him a lot, he often looks like a deer in headlights instead of having those killer eyes and beaming confidence you want in your signal caller.
But someone made a good point to me, he missed a lot of his JR year in HS and his SR year was derailed because of covid. Came in late last year on Tanners coattails and hasn't had a full year with this offense, being HIS offense and now has TWO offensive coordinators to answer to.

If he can chill out, calm down and just ball and have fun, he'll beam with confidence real or fake and confidence is contagious.

As a general question, why is Harbaugh the qb coach? First time ever in his career he’s done so and he never played the position at a high level.

He had a decent game. But needs to learn not to fire rockets on every pass—that last OT pass to the end zone being the most costly (still should’ve caught it though).

AK was very good last night and accurate. His completion percentage was 74%. Bryant completed 67% of his passes. Both QBs gained 8 yards per ball thrown. AK had two balls dropped by receivers. Bryant may also have, don't recall.

It seems likely that if we had relied more heavily on the passing game the second half we would have made some first downs, run the clock, and won the game.

As a general question, why is Harbaugh the qb coach? First time ever in his career he’s done so and he never played the position at a high level.
Because Fleck named him that.

AK down field throwing is atrocious. He desperately needs to work with a true quarterback coach in season and out. He can make a huge leap next year. Right now he way late on his throws and his mechanics are off. He has talent, a very strong arm and that’s what’s getting him through now.

Because Fleck named him that.
Was more meaning he has literally no experience coaching QBs and then it’s a P5 job the first time.
I didn’t realize he never had before. Seems very bizarre

AK down field throwing is atrocious. He desperately needs to work with a true quarterback coach in season and out. He can make a huge leap next year. Right now he way late on his throws and his mechanics are off. He has talent, a very strong arm and that’s what’s getting him through now.
He completed 74% last night. Bryant completed 67%. Both QBs averaged 8 yards per throw.

AK was as good as the NW QB. Our coaches just didn’t use him enough and it cost them the game.

Was more meaning he has literally no experience coaching QBs and then it’s a P5 job the first time.
I didn’t realize he never had before. Seems very bizarre
Fleck has made several bizarre coaching installations.

Top Bottom