What does Coach Johnson do with the transfer portal?

There have been rumors that a couple of players could look into the portal such as Gach, Williams and a young big. They were obviously recruited by the old staff and might be concerned about transfers coming in and taking their potential playing time.
Yeah if I were Gach I would be concerned

Something about the words "unlimited range" that I like.

Yeah if I were Gach I would be concerned
Most of the potential transfers we are looking at seem to be either PG’s like El-Amin or 4’s like Race, Fox, Battle etc, not true wings.

I don’t think Gach needs to be too worried and I still think there is a decent chance he starts next year if Johnson can get his confidence back.

Most of the potential transfers we are looking at seem to be either PG’s like El-Amin or 4’s like Race, Fox, Battle etc, not true wings.

I don’t think Gach needs to be too worried and I still think there is a decent chance he starts next year if Johnson can get his confidence back.
Battle is a wing player.

The need for Fox at the moment is smaller than other positions. Until Johnson, Ihnen, and Mitchell say we're not coming back we have some bodies there. We need a ball handler and any shooters ASAP plus a potential backup big man depending on Freeman.

To turn it temporarily away from MN ties, let's see if Johnson can go get Qudus Wahab from Georgetown. Only a sophomore.

I don’t think Gach needs to be too worried

Gach got beat out by Tre Williams. That should worry anyone. Gach needs to be worried about playing better defense and shooting better (same stuff that had Utah souring on him).

To turn it temporarily away from MN ties, let's see if Johnson can go get Qudus Wahab from Georgetown. Only a sophomore.

Did he enter the portal? With him being a big man and one of the top centers of all time as the HC at Georgetown, that would be kind of surprising to see him leave.

Did he enter the portal? With him being a big man and one of the top centers of all time as the HC at Georgetown, that would be kind of surprising to see him leave.
Yes just today. I realize he'll be wanted by every Top 15+ program, but I do think Johnson will expand a lot further than many of us think. Worth a try is all I'm saying. . .

Yes just today. I realize he'll be wanted by every Top 15+ program, but I do think Johnson will expand a lot further than many of us think. Worth a try is all I'm saying. . .
I thought his whole thing was to have instant familiarity and (thus?) credibility with MN coaches and players.

Imposing player to be sure but, assuming Robbins stays, I don't think that would be a pickup in our overall best interest. Both of those players are true centers and deserve to start immediately somewhere. I can't see either of them being satisfied coming off the bench.

He would be a candidate for the league's all name team though.

Gach got beat out by Tre Williams. That should worry anyone. Gach needs to be worried about playing better defense and shooting better (same stuff that had Utah souring on him).
Not to mention being more secure with the ball. Loose handle. Plenty of ability.

The need for Fox at the moment is smaller than other positions. Until Johnson, Ihnen, and Mitchell say we're not coming back we have some bodies there. We need a ball handler and any shooters ASAP plus a potential backup big man depending on Freeman.

If the current front court players want to stay, I think they deserve a chance to see what they could do with a new coach. We also have two front court recruits coming in. I'm not a big fan of telling committed recruits to go elsewhere late in the recruiting season.

Imposing player to be sure but, assuming Robbins stays, I don't think that would be a pickup in our overall best interest. Both of those players are true centers and deserve to start immediately somewhere. I can't see either of them being satisfied coming off the bench.

He would be a candidate for the league's all name team though.
I'm sure you're right, and Wahab will have his pick of just about anywhere.

I am maybe holding out some hope though, also in response to MplsGopher, who really cares where he gets his players from. Just because he was hired based on familiarity and credibility w MN scene doesn't limit him to that, and he's shown he can recruit nationally. There are a number of quality guards in the portal. I saw Darius McNeil who started at Cal, and now is at SMU, just entered the portal. I think he shot 40% from 3. There's a bunch of them. . .

I have to say that seeing the constant updates to who is in the transfer portal is quite scary for the outlook of college basketball. I say scary for lack of a better word, and not necessarily in a bad way. It just might really change the college bball landscape in the future. Captain Obvious, I know.

I am maybe holding out some hope though, also in response to MplsGopher, who really cares where he gets his players from. Just because he was hired based on familiarity and credibility w MN scene doesn't limit him to that, and he's shown he can recruit nationally. There are a number of quality guards in the portal. I saw Darius McNeil who started at Cal, and now is at SMU, just entered the portal. I think he shot 40% from 3. There's a bunch of them. . .
I don't think anyone wants to limit him. Mplsgopher was just appealing to the main selling point on the hire, which was his renewed efforts to recruit MN.

I am maybe holding out some hope though, also in response to MplsGopher, who really cares where he gets his players from. Just because he was hired based on familiarity and credibility w MN scene doesn't limit him to that, and he's shown he can recruit nationally.
No, no, no. I don't care if we get players from out of state. I welcome it.

I'm saying the reason he was hired (supposedly) was to recruit MN players hard.

Correct, it was the first attribute for hiring Johnson, out of Coyle's mouth, which implies it was the number one thing he was hired for, apparently the reason he got the job over other more experienced options.

Correct, it was the first attribute for hiring Johnson, out of Coyle's mouth, which implies it was the number one thing he was hired for, apparently the reason he got the job over other more experienced options.
I'm with you all on this, just I'm in the camp we're past it. Now I"m looking forward like everyone else to how he constructs a roster. I'd like some local flavor, but don't care so long as the product is good. That's really all I"m saying. I just am not going to get riled up any more about why he was hired. It's a nutty time with the portal that will quickly be past 1000 entries. We know he has the energy to work it, so let's see.

You know damn well that doesn't mean he ONLY has to recruit kids with MN backgrounds in the transfer portal this year. You're just being passive-aggressive like a middle school gal. Sorry, but it's true.

No coach is going to limit the players he recruits based on where they are from - ESPECIALLY not with the transfer portal. If he can get some of the MN kids back to the U this year when he has to hit the portal heavier, that's a cherry on top. Coyle's statement was in regards to HS in-state recruiting going forward (an area that we have been hurting in for years). Sure, the goal is for Ben to have more success with Minnesota high school kids - which I (and many others) believe he will.

In the meantime, Ben is going to do what's necessary to field a competitive team for next year on very short notice.

You know damn well that doesn't mean he ONLY has to recruit kids with MN backgrounds in the transfer portal this year.
I never said that. Quit inventing things up that I didn't say, to give yourself something to attack.

I'm saying he was hired because he was better than, e.g. Smith, at recruiting MN kids.

Great! So ...... oh, nevermind! We'll just get a bunch of non-MN kids. Well, couldn't Smith have done that??

Yep, that's what we need, a few good guards, not only to cover the point guard position but also to have some competition and choices about playing time.

I mean I don’t think he needs to be worried about getting burried on the depth chart unlike say Ihnen if we bring in all these 4’s. At absolute worst he’d be the 4th wing on the team.

I personally expect him to take back his minutes from Tre next year and I think it’s more likely Gach starts over Tre.

I mean I don’t think he needs to be worried about getting burried on the depth chart unlike say Ihnen if we bring in all these 4’s. At absolute worst he’d be the 4th wing on the team.

I personally expect him to take back his minutes from Tre next year and I think it’s more likely Gach starts over Tre.
I would be surprised. His confidence was shot, he needs it back to start over Tre

I would be surprised. His confidence was shot, he needs it back to start over Tre

Remarkable how quickly that happened. He went from looking like one of Pitino's best transfers ever (over the first ten games or so) to being almost a nonentity for the last half of the season. He was reported to be playing with injuries so that could have been a significant factor. He had a pretty decent game against OSU in the final game.

Sometimes just making a change (new boss, new coach, etc.) can have a real effect on personnel psychologies. He might feel like a different person next year.

Remarkable how quickly that happened. He went from looking like one of Pitino's best transfers ever (over the first ten games or so) to being almost a nonentity for the last half of the season. He was reported to be playing with injuries so that could have been a significant factor. He had a pretty decent game against OSU in the final game.

Sometimes just making a change (new boss, new coach, etc.) can have a real effect on personnel psychologies. He might feel like a different person next year.
A system that plays to the young man's strengths might have helped too (a cutting offense; fast break opportunities etc). Ditto for Trey Williams and Ihnen. I hope this dramatically improves under Coach Johnson.

A system that plays to the young man's strengths might have helped too (a cutting offense; fast break opportunities etc). Ditto for Trey Williams and Ihnen. I hope this dramatically improves under Coach Johnson.

None of it will matter if Gach doesn't commit to being a better defender. He got beat off the dribble almost every time his was isolated and then never challenged anything around the rim in transition defense, it was a guaranteed bucket. Hopefully the new coaches will get him to play defense, which given his size and long arms, should be a lock down guy, not a liability.

Top Bottom