What do you predict for next Gophers HC - Tracy Claeys vs The Field?

What do you predict for next Gophers HC - Tracy Claeys vs The Field?

• I predict Tracy Claeys

Votes: 54 83.1%
  • I predict someone from The Field

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters

Stan

Reaction score
Who gets the job - Claeys vs The Field?

I still feel like it really hinges on who they hire for AD but if I had to go one way or the other I would go with the field under the assumption that they will hire an outside AD to run the department and he will want to bring in his own coach to run things, especially with Kill out of the picture.

Would love to see Claeys end up with it if he proves he is up to the challenge but I am guessing they will end up going a different direction.

I would love to see Claeys and the staff get a shot here - the program is moving up and needs a few more years. I think he has a lot of potential and is ready for the job - right age, too, at 47. If not, the U has plenty of time to review the field. Minnesota will be attractive to ambitious young coaches wanting to move up to the B14.

A perhaps more interesting question is how many wins in the last five will automatically earn Claeys the job?

Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin

I think three wins and it's a slam dunk. Two wins and it's likely. One win against someone other than Illinois and it's a maybe. One win against Illinois or zero wins and we've got a coaching search.

No AD will take the job at the U until the Teague and the Title 9 investigations are complete and the findings are in. I realize that the Title 9 investigation is complete, but the findings haven't been released, I have heard that it might take until March until they're ready to move on filling the AD position. The HC position has to be filled soon after the season, I don't see any coach with other options taking the job, with an interim AD and those investigations.

What?

I still feel like it really hinges on who they hire for AD but if I had to go one way or the other I would go with the field under the assumption that they will hire an outside AD to run the department and he will want to bring in his own coach to run things, especially with Kill out of the picture.

Would love to see Claeys end up with it if he proves he is up to the challenge but I am guessing they will end up going a different direction.

So, next year the players self coach themselves? Leidner coaches the offense and Poock the defense? Or, you are going to hire a coach in August? It's all silly...we have investigations to complete before we begin to hire an A.D., then we have to search for one and before he/she even knows anybody's name, you want his/her first task to be hiring a football coach? A real big maybe...it could go faster if Beth or Dan got the job...but I'm guessing they'd be leaning to Claeys...wouldn't they? The idea of talking about hiring a football coach is silly... (1) You don't tout a proven staff staying together as being the greatest strength of your organization and then fire them because the boss retires. (2) We don't have an A.D. and won't for some time...making the hiring of a football coach pretty difficult. (3) If you rush to the process of hiring an A.D. just to hire a football coach, that's even sillier.

Claeys is the coach. See what he does and then talk about it. But I don't see how any of this works without Claeys being the coach next year? You are not hiring a coach by January? Signing date is February...we presently have some great recruits and Coughlin says he committed to the staff and the University. Support what we have in place is my advice.

And the language in Kill's contract provides for him to transition to an athletic department position should this health scenario happen. So Kill is not "out of the picture" moving forward at the U of M, if he desires to be here. They have $80 million dollars to raise.

So, next year the players self coach themselves? Leidner coaches the offense and Poock the defense? Or, you are going to hire a coach in August? It's all silly...we have investigations to complete before we begin to hire an A.D., then we have to search for one and before he/she even knows anybody's name, you want his/her first task to be hiring a football coach? A real big maybe...it could go faster if Beth or Dan got the job...but I'm guessing they'd be leaning to Claeys...wouldn't they? The idea of talking about hiring a football coach is silly... (1) You don't tout a proven staff staying together as being the greatest strength of your organization and then fire them because the boss retires. (2) We don't have an A.D. and won't for some time...making the hiring of a football coach pretty difficult. (3) If you rush to the process of hiring an A.D. just to hire a football coach, that's even sillier.

Claeys is the coach. See what he does and then talk about it. But I don't see how any of this works without Claeys being the coach next year? You are not hiring a coach by January? Signing date is February...we presently have some great recruits and Coughlin says he committed to the staff and the University. Support what we have in place is my advice.

And the language in Kill's contract provides for him to transition to an athletic department position should this health scenario happen. So Kill is not "out of the picture" moving forward at the U of M, if he desires to be here. They have $80 million dollars to raise.

IMHO, keep Claeys as permanent HC ASAP. Take the time if you want to search for a permanent AD, but it is critical that we keep the football rebuilding started by Jerry Kill moving forward.

Beth Goetz or Dan O,Brien if they want the job should be given serious considerations.

If Claeys does not work out (which I see no reason why he wouldn't), the new AD can then put in his own head coach.

It appears that we've made dramatic improvements in the athletics department in general during Kill's tenure in spite of Norwood Teague. The last thing this university and athletic department need is get another mega-tongued one as AD who'll wow everyone, but turned out to be problematic.

Please don't rely exclusively on a search firm.

Does anyone know what the Board Of Regents' thinking in this matter?

My gut feeling tells me we have not seen the last of Jerry Kill. I look for him to be involved with the university in some role down the road. When is entirely up to him. There is fundraising yet to be done, etc... This town and the university needs him in some capacity.

Give Claeys a 4 year contract now. As a previous acting head coach he proved he can handle it. What more you want? Oh, yeah, finish the season by winning out! :)

Seeing that we won't have a permanent AD until spring (at the earliest), the only logical thing is to keep Claeys on as Head Coach.

I think Claeys will get the job. My only worry is that this may be Gutekunst Part Deux. Claeys is a solid football guy, as was Gutekunst. But this would be his first head coaching job at any level, so regardless of his ability, there is at least some cause for concern. Please don't paint me as anti-Claeys. I respect him as a coordinator, but the view and responsibilities are different when one is sitting in the big chair.

I've just been around so long and have watched this athletic department make so many mistakes under so many different ADs, it's almost like I have come to expect the oddest thing to happen. It seems our athletic department has been in the Bermuda Triangle for the past couple of decades. Just when it looks like things are on the upswing, the vehicle heads off the road and into the swamp.

I agree with everyone here that the AD muddle really complicates matters. Man, was Teague a total f*ck-up.

Seeing that we won't have a permanent AD until spring (at the earliest), the only logical thing is to keep Claeys on as Head Coach.

If we are actually going to have to wait until next spring to hire an AD then I would agree it would make sense to give Claeys a contract with a low buyout number for a few years. That way when the new AD does get hired they will have some flexibility to either rework the contract into something better if Claeys is working out or cut ties and bring in their own choice to run things.

If we are actually going to have to wait until next spring to hire an AD then I would agree it would make sense to give Claeys a contract with a low buyout number for a few years. That way when the new AD does get hired they will have some flexibility to either rework the contract into something better if Claeys is working out or cut ties and bring in their own choice to run things.

My guess is that is the approach that will be taken.

50/50, at this point I'm on the pro Claeys side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A perhaps more interesting question is how many wins in the last five will automatically earn Claeys the job?

Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin

I think three wins and it's a slam dunk. Two wins and it's likely. One win against someone other than Illinois and it's a maybe. One win against Illinois or zero wins and we've got a coaching search.

If this happens their is no reason whatsoever to not give him the job.

Good chance he gets it, from my perspective. With that being said....

Win the Axe this year and it's his. Tracy is potentially playing for a handful of million dollars with that game. Win and he gets a 4 year contract, lose and nothing is guaranteed. What a fascinating position to be in.

Went with the field. I am not of the group that Claeys should just be handed the job no matter what happens the rest of this season. Hiring the football coach just might be the most important hire an AD makes at a P5 school. Keeping the interim tag on Claeys certainly won't help recruiting through next season but that seems the way this is heading unless Goetz or O'Brien are hired sooner rather than later.

I think the only way Claeys gets the HC job is if President Kaler does the hiring. No way do I see them letting an interim AD make the hire. This is not like a Harbaugh at Michigan type of deal.

Went with the field. I am not of the group that Claeys should just be handed the job no matter what happens the rest of this season. Hiring the football coach just might be the most important hire an AD makes at a P5 school. Keeping the interim tag on Claeys certainly won't help recruiting through next season but that seems the way this is heading unless Goetz or O'Brien are hired sooner rather than later.

I think the only way Claeys gets the HC job is if President Kaler does the hiring. No way do I see them letting an interim AD make the hire. This is not like a Harbaugh at Michigan type of deal.

Keeping the interim tag would be disastrous, it's really not that complicated, give Claeys a four year deal, his salary will be fairly cheap, if it's not working in two or three years then the AD will have the opportunity to put their stamp on the program. Were a mess right now, but one thing this school can do to calm the storm is keep the staff intact and bring some sort of stability to this Athletic Department.

So, under your scenario, are we hiring a new coach over the summer? That seems pretty unlikely. Kaler has said a permanent AD won't be in place until the spring at the earliest. The U is in a pretty tough spot here.

I have always thought there was a good chance that someday Claeys would replace Kill as HC but just not this soon. One reason some have argued for retaining Claeys is that he would keep the staff together. Obviously most of Kill's staff have been very loyal to him. However I'm wondering if there would continue to be this same level of loyalty under Claeys' leadership? I'm guessing initially most of the staff would stay on given the promotional opportunities and the U's policy that pays assistants competitive salaries in the B1G. But there is a lot more to it than pay and does Claeys or anyone else have Kill's ability to keep staff on over the long haul? Assuming staff retention is truly important, I think this notion Claeys will keep everyone long term needs to be thought through before making decision. Thoughts?

So, under your scenario, are we hiring a new coach over the summer? That seems pretty unlikely. Kaler has said a permanent AD won't be in place until the spring at the earliest. The U is in a pretty tough spot here.

Agree a hire in the summer is unlikely. It seems at least to me the interim tag may stay on Claeys through next season. Certainly not ideal but this "give him a 4 year deal" it will be cheap and see where we are at in 2 years doesn't seem like the best course either but they may be the only way out.

You're correct - the U is in a pretty tough spot.

Agree a hire in the summer is unlikely. It seems at least to me the interim tag may stay on Claeys through next season. Certainly not ideal but this "give him a 4 year deal" it will be cheap and see where we are at in 2 years doesn't seem like the best course either but they may be the only way out.

I don't think they can drag the interim thing out beyond the end of this season. They either need to hire Claeys or find someone else because you would kill recruiting to keep the interim label on there. How hard are the coaches going to want to work at recruiting if they don't know what their future at the school looks like? How do you sell a recruit on your vision if that recruit has no clue if you are going to even be the head coach when they get to campus?

One way or another you have to commit to a direction. It isn't fair to anyone involved to string things out.

I don't think they can drag the interim thing out beyond the end of this season. They either need to hire Claeys or find someone else because you would kill recruiting to keep the interim label on there. How hard are the coaches going to want to work at recruiting if they don't know what their future at the school looks like? How do you sell a recruit on your vision if that recruit has no clue if you are going to even be the head coach when they get to campus?

One way or another you have to commit to a direction. It isn't fair to anyone involved to string things out.

I am not suggesting they should drag the interim coach thing out. The thought of hiring Claeys and reevaluate in a couple years won't help recruiting either.

If you hire Claeys he needs the security of a 5 year deal not a 3 year deal.

there is no chance this is correct. Claeys will be hired. It's the only choice to make, barring something really bad happening in November. The fans and the admin are happy with this staff and the progress we have made. firing the whole staff seems incredibly unlikely, when there really isn't any better option any where else, and there is a ton of competition for coaching at some big time programs.

An interim label through multiple seasons? Has that ever happened before at any other school? Claeys wouldn't even accept that.

The thought of hiring Claeys and reevaluate in a couple years won't help recruiting either.

If you hire Claeys he needs the security of a 5 year deal not a 3 year deal.

This makes no sense. You hire Claeys now, you keep this class together, and the work they've done on the '17 class as well. That helps recruiting.
It doesn't really matter if he has a 4 or 5 year deal. If he doesn't keep the momentum of the team going, he's probably on a shorter leash than a new coach would have. Length of deal isn't going to matter, buyout is what would matter.

there is no chance this is correct. Claeys will be hired. It's the only choice to make, barring something really bad happening in November. The fans and the admin are happy with this staff and the progress we have made. firing the whole staff seems incredibly unlikely, when there really isn't any better option any where else, and there is a ton of competition for coaching at some big time programs.

An interim label through multiple seasons? Has that ever happened before at any other school? Claeys wouldn't even accept that.

It is highly unlikely an interim label will go through multiple seasons. I understand that. There are other alternatives the U can pursue before making a decision. What doesn't make sense is saying hiring Tracy Claeys is the only choice.

Both the AD we need and the head coach we need are already in place. Just need to remove the interim tag from their job descriptions.

It is highly unlikely an interim label will go through multiple seasons. I understand that. There are other alternatives the U can pursue before making a decision. What doesn't make sense is saying hiring Tracy Claeys is the only choice.

It is the only choice unless you have a boatload of money and a home run hire waiting in the wings. We don't. We are an unstable situation with no AD. There isn't going to be a home run hire. There is only one choice.

Good points - the administration has dragged its feet on the AD job and now makes this very questionable statement that they have to have an AD before they can hire a coach, thus crashing into all kinds od deadlines. Not a smooth operation over there.

This makes no sense. You hire Claeys now, you keep this class together, and the work they've done on the '17 class as well. That helps recruiting.
It doesn't really matter if he has a 4 or 5 year deal. If he doesn't keep the momentum of the team going, he's probably on a shorter leash than a new coach would have. Length of deal isn't going to matter, buyout is what would matter.

Yes it does, because recruits are here 4-5 years and want to play for the coaches that recruited them.

Top Bottom