What did they do at Kentucky to get Tubby to curl up into the fetal position?

death threats. multiple death threats.

and if that doesn't work we can poop on his doorstep.

P.S. I'm kidding, and for all you PC folk who are offended. I'm not sorry.

Hahahaha.

In all seriousness, he must have detected a lack of patience from the Kentucky AD and other higher ups.

MN has had 6 years of patience. IIRC, JJ was one of the "all hail tubby" guys.

IDK....? Lose to a below .500 Vanderbilt team to knock them out of the NCAA tournament?

MN has had 6 years of patience. IIRC, JJ was one of the "all hail tubby" guys.

Your damn right I was. You go from the Dan Monson situation, which was even more dire then we are at now, to a well known coach with a solid track record. Then when Tubby gets here, he goes to the tourney his first two years with Monson's recruits leading the way. The next thought, is "just wait until he gets his own recruits in here." Which he has, and its been nice to see that the Gophers haven't been competing with the Western Michigan's of the world for recruits. We've been recruiting against other major conference schools, and Tubby has brought in some nice recruits. However, he has not had the success with those higher rated (his) recruits.

When the UK fans were trolling our board, I wasn't responding to their posts, because they had just experienced Tubby for 10 years and probably knew more than we did. My thought process was that Tubby might not be the best coach for Kentucky anymore, but its better than we could have hoped for, and he was a solid choice for coach.

Now I'm not certain that Tubby's either lost his edge due to getting old and having a coaching position where he could retire at, or he's recruited a bunch of nice kids that do not respond to his coaching style, but its not working, and it feels like its going to continue to get worse.

What's concerning to me BarnBurner, is your ability to remember other posters opinions that well. I don't consider myself a frequent poster, and for you to remember my thoughts on Tubby is disturbing. And I know from your posts on the OT board, you're all about picking sides. Who's right and who's wrong. I know you don't get this, but when new information is gathered, it is okay to change your mind and be on the other side of the opinion. But you don't seem to get that. This is probably due to your lack of critical thinking ability, which is evident in your lack of knowledge in economics. In fact, you should probably keep your focus on the OT board. I think they have a little more "patience" for someone like you who can't think on their own.

What's concerning to me BarnBurner, is your ability to remember other posters opinions that well. I don't consider myself a frequent poster, and for you to remember my thoughts on Tubby is disturbing. And I know from your posts on the OT board, you're all about picking sides. Who's right and who's wrong. I know you don't get this, but when new information is gathered, it is okay to change your mind and be on the other side of the opinion. But you don't seem to get that. This is probably due to your lack of critical thinking ability, which is evident in your lack of knowledge in economics. In fact, you should probably keep your focus on the OT board. I think they have a little more "patience" for someone like you who can't think on their own.

Boom roasted

Your damn right I was. You go from the Dan Monson situation, which was even more dire then we are at now, to a well known coach with a solid track record. Then when Tubby gets here, he goes to the tourney his first two years with Monson's recruits leading the way. The next thought, is "just wait until he gets his own recruits in here." Which he has, and its been nice to see that the Gophers haven't been competing with the Western Michigan's of the world for recruits. We've been recruiting against other major conference schools, and Tubby has brought in some nice recruits. However, he has not had the success with those higher rated (his) recruits.

When the UK fans were trolling our board, I wasn't responding to their posts, because they had just experienced Tubby for 10 years and probably knew more than we did. My thought process was that Tubby might not be the best coach for Kentucky anymore, but its better than we could have hoped for, and he was a solid choice for coach.

Now I'm not certain that Tubby's either lost his edge due to getting old and having a coaching position where he could retire at, or he's recruited a bunch of nice kids that do not respond to his coaching style, but its not working, and it feels like its going to continue to get worse.

Dont let it concern you JJ. My skills are many, and my memory allows recollection of a-holes easily.

I dont pick sides. I state what I state. You dont like it. Tough.

Your ego lets you slam others for critical thinking, after admitting you were a big fan of tubby being hired. Some of us were critical thinkers 6 years ago, JJ, and saw the writing on the wall at that time.

Stay on the BB board, so you can participate in threads about coaches. Coaches that confound your wonderful skills in critical thinking.

I don't want to quote the post, since it is a bit of a slam on a poster, but JJ made a couple of good points:

1.) At least a couple or more (and I will not go as far as to guessing which ones) of our starters do not respond well to Tubby's style. And this, for whatever reason, has caught on with the rest of the team. Maybe Tubby's style no longer works, or maybe it is a mix of the personalities, or maybe it is on a couple of individuals, but whatever the case it has not been working the last few months.

2.) Everyone ought to be able to change their minds when presented with new facts, without having their previously held beliefs thrown in their face. To bring the OT board/politics here - I hate the criticism of "flip flopping" on issues. If you indepently think, you can, and should change your mind.

Separate from that, we can still win games. Our team is talented, and will face beatable teams in the first two rounds. Heck, we can beat anybody. No one is happy about how we got here, but we are still in this. We can win. Let's hope for the best, and see how everything shakes out from there. We sometimes label this team as soft, and I will not argue it has appeared that way at times. Let's remember all the games they have battled back from when facing large deficits. Let's remember when we all wrote them off before the Indiana game. This team has shown the ability to be incredibly tough in the face of adversity. Let's enjoy March Madness.

I don't want to quote the post, since it is a bit of a slam on a poster, but JJ made a couple of good points:

1.) At least a couple or more (and I will not go as far as to guessing which ones) of our starters do not respond well to Tubby's style. And this, for whatever reason, has caught on with the rest of the team. Maybe Tubby's style no longer works, or maybe it is a mix of the personalities, or maybe it is on a couple of individuals, but whatever the case it has not been working the last few months.

2.) Everyone ought to be able to change their minds when presented with new facts, without having their previously held beliefs thrown in their face. To bring the OT board/politics here - I hate the criticism of "flip flopping" on issues. If you indepently think, you can, and should change your mind.

Separate from that, we can still win games. Our team is talented, and will face beatable teams in the first two rounds. Heck, we can beat anybody. No one is happy about how we got here, but we are still in this. We can win. Let's hope for the best, and see how everything shakes out from there. We sometimes label this team as soft, and I will not argue it has appeared that way at times. Let's remember all the games they have battled back from when facing large deficits. Let's remember when we all wrote them off before the Indiana game. This team has shown the ability to be incredibly tough in the face of adversity. Let's enjoy March Madness.

Agree.

Agree. I think Don Lucia makes a good example of this. We missed the tournament three years ago with the hockey team. I was ready to cut bait. He didn't seem willing to change to a world where more players were leaving college early to the pros. He kept recruiting those 1 or 2 year stars and losing them to NHL clubs, and we suffered from years with no veteran leadership. He also would recruit an entire depth chart full of forwards who were goal scorers and had no role players.

Now, a few years later, he has managed to change his ways, despite having won national championships with his old ways, and he has us with back to back conference titles (one of them shared).

Point is, Tubby and Don make for a good comparison. They were both successful with the way the game used to be and won national titles, their games both changed, and they both wet the bed enough for me to want them fired. However, the Don changed and now I am having a great time in games at Mariucci. I am certainly more pleased that Lucia changed and started winning that I would have been if he had been fired when I wanted. What I really want is for Tubby to change his game to make me want him to stay, and I am more than ready to change my mind if Tubby can present me with new facts about his performance here.

Lucia also replaced bad staff(Hill) with one who never should have been allowed to leave(Guentzel).

If some of Tubby's staff is as bad as some GHers claim it'll be interesting to see if he makes changes if he stays on after this season.

Agree. I think Don Lucia makes a good example of this. We missed the tournament three years ago with the hockey team. I was ready to cut bait. He didn't seem willing to change to a world where more players were leaving college early to the pros. He kept recruiting those 1 or 2 year stars and losing them to NHL clubs, and we suffered from years with no veteran leadership. He also would recruit an entire depth chart full of forwards who were goal scorers and had no role players.

Now, a few years later, he has managed to change his ways, despite having won national championships with his old ways, and he has us with back to back conference titles (one of them shared).

Point is, Tubby and Don make for a good comparison. They were both successful with the way the game used to be and won national titles, their games both changed, and they both wet the bed enough for me to want them fired. However, the Don changed and now I am having a great time in games at Mariucci. I am certainly more pleased that Lucia changed and started winning that I would have been if he had been fired when I wanted. What I really want is for Tubby to change his game to make me want him to stay, and I am more than ready to change my mind if Tubby can present me with new facts about his performance here.

Very well stated.

Yes, time to stop wailing, gnashing of teeth and hand-wringing. It's time to enjoy March Madness. It would be a shame if we ended up enjoying March Madness in a year the Gophers are IN less than we would enjoy it if the Gophers were OUT. When you think of it like that, it doesn't make sense. Just be glad for the time being that it's the most wonderful time of the year.

Minnesota hockey is also like Texas football, the Don changed his ways, but unlike Tubby the Don has the best recruiting pool in his backyard

What exactly is your agenda?

He is telling the truth. What is your agenda?

Are you going to say that he is Tubby's son or one of the assistant coaches. You so-called-fans got what you wanted so stop attaching people who do not agree with your points.

Go Gophers

Minnesota hockey is also like Texas football, the Don changed his ways, but unlike Tubby the Don has the best recruiting pool in his backyard

That's a fair point. But I'm not expecting Tubby to start contending for national titles overnight, I just expect him to adapt to the changing game.

Dont let it concern you JJ. My skills are many, and my memory allows recollection of a-holes easily.

I dont pick sides. I state what I state. You dont like it. Tough.

Your ego lets you slam others for critical thinking, after admitting you were a big fan of tubby being hired. Some of us were critical thinkers 6 years ago, JJ, and saw the writing on the wall at that time.

Stay on the BB board, so you can participate in threads about coaches. Coaches that confound your wonderful skills in critical thinking.

If you actually did not think Tubby Smith was a great hire for our absolute, sh!tshow mess of a program, at the time I don't even know what to say to you. Has it worked out? At this point, almost everyone would say no. But it's basically an objective fact that we hired well above the (then) level of our program back in 2007.

What exactly is your agenda?

I have an agenda? I stated a fact how is that having an agenda? Isn't it good to be a lock for a tournament for the first time in a decade? No, its not good enough for people like you.

I have an agenda? I stated a fact how is that having an agenda? Isn't it good to be a lock for a tournament for the first time in a decade? No, its not good enough for people like you.

I agree it is good. However, good enough is subjective. Would like to win some games.

Lucia also replaced bad staff(Hill) with one who never should have been allowed to leave(Guentzel).

If some of Tubby's staff is as bad as some GHers claim it'll be interesting to see if he makes changes if he stays on after this season.

The secret of the turnaround.

What does Tubby not going to the NIT at Kentucky have to do with us? Are you Tubby's agent?

We should all feel privileged to have someone here whose primary objective is to collect his retirement annuity....

What does Tubby not going to the NIT at Kentucky have to do with us? Are you Tubby's agent?

We should all feel privileged to have someone here whose primary objective is to collect his retirement annuity....
Yes I am Tubby Smith's agent.

OP asked: " What did they do at Kentucky to get Tubby to curl up into the fetal position?"

Every fan turned into a moses87?

If you actually did not think Tubby Smith was a great hire for our absolute, sh!tshow mess of a program, at the time I don't even know what to say to you. Has it worked out? At this point, almost everyone would say no. But it's basically an objective fact that we hired well above the (then) level of our program back in 2007.

Obviously not the right hire. Correct? Nor a great hire based on results. Correct?

^^^ obviously not a firm grasp on the meaning of the phrase "at the time". Correct?

Top Bottom