What Coach Could Automatically Make Minnesota B-Ball Elite?

When you had an AD who fired without a plan, you get your 8th or 9th choice. Bo was in Wisconsin’s radar for awhile. Gard came with Ryan. It’s very hard to pull that off like you said. Easier to

Yes, other than someone like John Wooden, Bo Ryan had to be one of the best hires in the history of college basketball. Not only did he have an unprecedented career at Wisconsin but he left a personally groomed successor who has been pretty solid so far despite one bad year. Gard has been good but it's tough to match a predecessor who had 14 straight NCAA tournament appearances.

I moved to Philadelphia for more money - Obviously, I will do anything for more money.

W.C. Fields would have appreciated that remark. But, from what I've read from you around here, you're no sweetheart either so I would guess you give as well as you take in Philly. By the way, I'm a native Pennsylvanian. Where do you live in the Philly area?

W.C. Fields would have appreciated that remark. But, from what I've read from you around here, you're no sweetheart either so I would guess you give as well as you take in Philly. By the way, I'm a native Pennsylvanian. Where do you live in the Philly area?
Not sure what I ever said that was unsweetheartlike but I live in Bryn Mawr

Well, recall that Richard wasn't cheap to fire for some time because of the extension the idiot former AD gave him during his second season. If he had been cheap to fire I expect he likely would have been fired after his historically awful 3rd season. He wasn't cheap to fire until about his 5th or 6th season and by that point he was managing to do enough (barely) just to stay around another year. He was cheap to fire after last season but COVID stepped in and made the status quo the preference for most teams.
Very true. In retrospect they should have played more hardball with Richard when it came to the extension. Locking in like that on the basis of only spotty success was not wise. Pitino has done just enough (like beat St. Louis) to keep hope going that he's finally turned the corner.

Gophers get pounded by Illinois!

Fire Pitino!

Gophers beat St. Louis!

Love Pitino!

The cycle will continue with the next game.

I disagree with this premise, you need to convince an excellent recruiting base to stay home vs. heading to Spokane. This isn't convincing kids from Florida or California to come to Minnesota.

I didn't say recruiting isn't important. But building a culture, a program, a toughness is more important. Knowing that even without talent your teams will fight hard every game, not give up, take care of the basketball, set good screen, take good shots, box out every shot, etc.

Yes, it would be nice to get some of these studs to stay home, but the fact of the matter is, we are not going to get extremely highly ranked recruiting classes until this program can show itself to be a consistent winner. That is built IMO, on process, program, etc more than it is on players.

Top Bottom