What Better Way To Spice Up A Rivalry Than 6 T's In One Game?

GopherRock

GopherHole Straw Boss
Reaction score
A friend of mine attended last night's Crosstown Shootout between Cincinnati and Xavier at Fifth Third Arena at UC. Here are some of the observations I was able to piece together from a myriad of sources.

-He is a Xavier alum with Muskie season tickets. I went to a game down at the Cintas Center last year as part of my Super-Sized Barnyard Road Trip that included the Gopher game at Michigan. I can put the recap for that up here too.

-Since the students were "gone" at UC, two sections that are normally all students were sold to the general public, much like last year's Gopher game at Iowa State. The Xavier faithful were tipped off and promptly bought up the tickets. If you can imagine the Barnyard being subbed out for the Grateful Red, that's how the lower bowl at Fifth Third apprently was. My friend was in the middle of the deep blue sea.

-It was a very chippy game, as neighborhood rivalry games are want to be. Six technicals were dished out over the course of the evening, and by all accounts they wasn't an undeserved one in the lot. The Muskies won to set up a massive tilt with Duke on Saturday at the Meadowlands of New Jersey.

-When the teams were coming out of the locker room after halftime, the Xavier Musketeer mascot was jumped by the Cincinnati Bearcat. The Musketeer was carrying a large flag with the blue "X" on it, and the Bearcat did his damndest to steal the flag. Two things happened in the ensuing scrap: 1) Both mascots tried to tear the other's head off, and 2) The pole carrying the flag was broken in half. Considering that their X flag is as big as the large "M" flag Goldy uses at football games, that's no small feat to break the flagpole. I'm looking for more footage of this scrap, and will bring it to you as soon as it comes to light.

Apparently this series had lost some of it's zest before last night, but six technicals is a good way to amp it back up.

Yes it was an ugly game, but just goes to show what rivalries are all about. Can you imagine all this stuff happening at a gopher-badger/hawkeye game?

A friend of mine attended last night's Crosstown Shootout between Cincinnati and Xavier at Fifth Third Arena at UC. Here are some of the observations I was able to piece together from a myriad of sources.

-He is a Xavier alum with Muskie season tickets. I went to a game down at the Cintas Center last year as part of my Super-Sized Barnyard Road Trip that included the Gopher game at Michigan. I can put the recap for that up here too.

-Since the students were "gone" at UC, two sections that are normally all students were sold to the general public, much like last year's Gopher game at Iowa State. The Xavier faithful were tipped off and promptly bought up the tickets. If you can imagine the Barnyard being subbed out for the Grateful Red, that's how the lower bowl at Fifth Third apprently was. My friend was in the middle of the deep blue sea.

-It was a very chippy game, as neighborhood rivalry games are want to be. Six technicals were dished out over the course of the evening, and by all accounts they wasn't an undeserved one in the lot. The Muskies won to set up a massive tilt with Duke on Saturday at the Meadowlands of New Jersey.

-When the teams were coming out of the locker room after halftime, the Xavier Musketeer mascot was jumped by the Cincinnati Bearcat. The Musketeer was carrying a large flag with the blue "X" on it, and the Bearcat did his damndest to steal the flag. Two things happened in the ensuing scrap: 1) Both mascots tried to tear the other's head off, and 2) The pole carrying the flag was broken in half. Considering that their X flag is as big as the large "M" flag Goldy uses at football games, that's no small feat to break the flagpole. I'm looking for more footage of this scrap, and will bring it to you as soon as it comes to light.

Apparently this series had lost some of it's zest before last night, but six technicals is a good way to amp it back up.

There have been worse incidents. One I recall from the late 1960's was a UC player attacking an X player with a crutch during the game.

Top Bottom