What are realistic expectations for gopher basketball

Honestly I think Pitino has been able to get some talent here, it’s just abundantly clear he is a terrible in game coach. If the talent level stays the same and we get a coach who can teach a coherent offense there is no reason why we can’t make the tournament 4 out of 5 years and have a top 4 big ten finish and high tournament seed at least one of those years.
I'm with you here. I really like the roster that Pitino has put together this year. I understand we've played poorly and that reflects on the players, but absolutely moreso on the coach. I think a competent coach that starts the year with this group of guys has this group meshing and playing at a high level (Top 15-20) consistently.

National title every year or fire the coach...

Signed
Most

I expect Pitino will make back to back tourney's, this year and then next year with everyone but Carr back.

An overall record above .500 in conference play. There will be good years and bad years at most schools, but if you're above .500 for your career some good things will happen. After 4 or 5 years, I want that record above .500 or strong signs that it will be there soon.

The nice thing is that there is no ceiling. Wiconsin went 20 years without a single winning conference season in the B1G. Baylor had arguably the ugliest scandal in the history of college basketball, never won much before, and still can't draw a crowd. Virginia went through a long drought. You've got Texas Tech, Auburn, UConn...I could keep going. Michigan went 9 years with 1 winning B1G season and not a single NCAA tournament berth prior to hiring John Beilein. The right coach can make realistic expectations contending for National Championships. Minnesota is in a bad place right now, but there's no reason it needs to stay there.

Top Bottom