What about the Bell!

Law_Abiding_Gopher

10th Year Senior
Reaction score
Since the huge "rivalry" we share with Penn State for the "trophy" The Governor's Victory Bell will not be held "yearly" due to Big 10 realignment, does this mean the winner holds on to the bell indefinitely?

If so, we must win. I already have my Governor's Victory Bell costume prepared for the game.

:clap:

One holds any given trophy until the opposite team beats them.

Unless you are wisconsin, and decide to steal the damn thing like a bunch of clepto-bitc#es.

Since the huge "rivalry" we share with Penn State for the "trophy" The Governor's Victory Bell will not be held "yearly" due to Big 10 realignment, does this mean the winner holds on to the bell indefinitely?

Yes, just like Michigan has kept the Jug after we didn't bother showing up to the 2008 game.

It would be nice to have something in our trophy case for a change, and the luxury of keeping the Bell indefinitely is an added bonus.

If so, we must win. I already have my Governor's Victory Bell costume prepared for the game.

Where is the picture of this??? does it look something like this.

3245539617_62ffe27e34.jpg

JoePa can keep that lame-azzed trophy, which is a monument to the concept that you can't manufacture a rivalry. Some marketing yuk thought that abortion of a trophy up when PSU joined the conference, and then had his kid slap something together in his HS woodshop class.

I've seen better looking hardware in an after work bowling league. Once we go to the new conference format that sucker should be burned.

JoePa can keep that lame-azzed trophy, which is a monument to the concept that you can't manufacture a rivalry. Some marketing yuk thought that abortion of a trophy up when PSU joined the conference, and then had his kid slap something together in his HS woodshop class.

I've seen better looking hardware in an after work bowling league. Once we go to the new conference format that sucker should be burned.

True. Too bad this game is at home, because I would like nothing better than for the Gophers to win 'The Bell' at Penn State, run across the field to grab it...

...and then promptly throw it into the PSU student section.

Wouldn't it be awesome if the guy who helped get Brewster fired, in the very next game, goes on to do something that Brewster never could?

This is probably the last game of the year in which we have a chance to be competitive. I like Paterno but I hope he loses.

I think the trophy is a monument to the fact that conferences (the BigTen in this instance) got too big when that era of expansion happened.

If the two state schools don't have any football history to draw upon for trophy ideas, one automatically looks to the history of those states. They couldn't find any meaningful shared history between the two states? Really?? If that is the case, your conference is either too big, or too stretched out. And you certainly don't have a 'rivalry'.

If the two state schools don't have any football history to draw upon for trophy ideas, one automatically looks to the history of those states. They couldn't find any meaningful shared history between the two states? Really?? If that is the case, your conference is either too big, or too stretched out. And you certainly don't have a 'rivalry'.

The Governor's Victory Bell wasn't an attempt to generate a rivalry between the teams. Nobody expected that to happen. It was to celebrate Penn State's admission to the conference. We were their opponent in their first ever Big Ten game. If they had played someone else, we wouldn't have had a trophy with them.

The Governor's Victory Bell wasn't an attempt to generate a rivalry between the teams. Nobody expected that to happen. It was to celebrate Penn State's admission to the conference. We were their opponent in their first ever Big Ten game. If they had played someone else, we wouldn't have had a trophy with them.

So what sort of ludicrous trophy does wisky get for playing Nebraska first?

So what sort of ludicrous trophy does wisky get for playing Nebraska first?

The Battle for the bleeding red tampon! We will inevitably start to hate Nebraska as much as becky or thepigeyes or dickrod!

If you want to celebrate an event, you give them a plaque. The Bell is a rivalry trophy, and no such rivalry had existed prior to this game, this was our first game against them. It was an attempt to create a rivalry. The rivalries with Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa existed well before the trophies. Beating Penn State is enjoyable, because it is beating a good team. The Bell itself means little. Sure, I'll take the Bell. We don't have a rivalry or trophy with Ohio State, but when we do beat them, it's a major thing to celebrate.

Our other trophies are things that are meaningful to both states. The jug was made and sold in Minnesota, and purchased by Michigan. Paul Bunyan is a major part of Minnesota and Michigan folklore. The Pig was an Iowa pig, won by Minnesota and named for Minnesota's governor and the Iowa farm the pig was from.

The Bell? Just a generic trophy with the Liberty Bell. Sure, the Liberty Bell is an important icon to Americans, but it is especially associated with Pennsylvania, there is nothing there to give it an equal link to Minnesota.

Yes, they created the trophy because it was their first Big Ten game. The Big Ten could have arranged the schedule so that their first game could have been an opponent who had more of a claim to an existing rivalry.

The problem is that PSU went shopping in the trophy clearance isle. If they were smart they would have created a trophy that combined the two states' identity. For example they should have made a huge bell using minnesota tachinite forged in a PA steel mill. Then each fan base can look at it as part or their culture and become attached to it, over time at least.

Top Bottom