What about Sam "I am" Cassell for Gopher Basketball Coach?

Otis

Reaction score
Talk about a guy who knows how to play basketball the right way! I would be totally down with this.

He is currently an assistant for Doc Rivers in Philadelphia.

I bet he would make a damn good college coach.

He could certainly teach the Gophers the value of passing up the 3 ball for a nice stop and pop jump shot or an assist.

He also would bring that NBA link to the position to help with recruiting.

I'm warming up to this idea.

and in case you have forgotten:

Sure. Cassell with Spree and KG as assistants. The only non-vacated good basketball team I can remember in this state in my lifetime.

Talk about a guy who knows how to play basketball the right way! I would be totally down with this.

He could certainly teach the Gophers the value of passing up the 3 ball for a nice stop and pop jump shot or an assist.

Is there any indication that he is even interested? He certainly would generate some buzz if he chose to come here. He definitely was an inspiring player and probably would be as a coach.

Is there any indication that he is even interested? He certainly would generate some buzz if he chose to come here. He definitely was an inspiring player and probably would be as a coach.
No idea.

If I was AD, and I'm not, I would give his agent a call.

Sure. Cassell with Spree and KG as assistants. The only non-vacated good basketball team I can remember in this state in my lifetime.
KG said he would never coach. But OMG, would he be the "Home Run Hire!"

Does the sun come up in your world every day?

I ask seriously because your comments are pretty much always severely dark. Whether it be football, basketball - even hockey - I can't recall seeing you say anything resembling anything you have enjoyed or feel optimistic about. Just an observation.

BTW, the "only non-vacated" comment is totally unnecessary - unless you just love the darkness. With the way the NCAA has handled programs who have done far worse since 1999, it's time we just call our Final Four team what it was: a damn great team. We enjoyed the hell out of that experience and it was something that we'll always remember. Silly, IMHO, to cloud it with some stupid sanction by the NCAA when teams like UNC, Michigan and Kansas are still celebrating their titles.

Coaching in college vs the NBA is so different though. There is recruiting, making sure kids go to class and get good enough grades, parents to deal with, etc. Not saying it isn't possible but there are probably hundreds of ex NBA players who are coaching in some capacity...so what?

Besides, what ties does Sam have to MN besides a few years in the NBA here?

Does the sun come up in your world every day?

I ask seriously because your comments are pretty much always severely dark. Whether it be football, basketball - even hockey - I can't recall seeing you say anything resembling anything you have enjoyed or feel optimistic about. Just an observation.

BTW, the "only non-vacated" comment is totally unnecessary - unless you just love the darkness. With the way the NCAA has handled programs who have done far worse since 1999, it's time we just call our Final Four team what it was: a damn great team. We enjoyed the hell out of that experience and it was something that we'll always remember. Silly, IMHO, to cloud it with some stupid sanction by the NCAA when teams like UNC, Michigan and Kansas are still celebrating their titles.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'd hire Clem Haskins and do it all over again 100 times over.

After watching the trajectory MI has taken since Howard went from the NBA asst coaching ranks to head coach at Ol blue, I was thinking of any gopher alum that has done well in the NBA in the last 20 years (as that would be relevant to at least some recruits I imagine).

BOBBY JACKSON

Maybe we could get Rick Rickert to coach! at the very least, he was punched in the face by an NBA MVP.

Kris Humphries? The bonus is he can teach you how to bang and then ditch a Kardashian

Besides, what ties does Sam have to MN besides a few years in the NBA here?

Why does that matter? For some strange reason that linkage always seems to be a prerequisite for Gopher fans with their coaches.

Why does that matter? For some strange reason that linkage always seems to be a prerequisite for Gopher fans with their coaches.

Because not many former NBAers go coach a college team they have no ties too. Especially when they are currently NBA assistants.

Like Howard has a tie to Michigan. Penny to Memphis. Ewing to Gtown. Drexler to Houston. Hoiberg to ISU.Mullin to St. John’s. Some big bane guys who coached their alma maters

With the way the NCAA has handled programs who have done far worse since 1999, it's time we just call our Final Four team what it was: a damn great team. We enjoyed the hell out of that experience and it was something that we'll always remember. Silly, IMHO, to cloud it with some stupid sanction by the NCAA when teams like UNC, Michigan and Kansas are still celebrating their titles.
This.

It's like a 1950s movie that was flagged by the MPAA for showing a married couple sleeping in the same bed. Fast forward a decade or two, and that would be laughable. No reason for that film to still be considered flagged.

Not a reason as to why we should want him but a reason as to why he'd want the job.

Like I said before, if we're thinking Sam Cassell because he played here like 2 years why not just call every former ex NBA player who is still living and ask them too?

He'd be great for the media to cover. One of my favorite all time quotes-

1614377532926.png

Not a reason as to why we should want him but a reason as to why he'd want the job.

Like I said before, if we're thinking Sam Cassell because he played here like 2 years why not just call every former ex NBA player who is still living and ask them too?
Michael Jordan had some excellent games at Target Center. He's basically one of us! Think of the recruiting!

Top Bottom