What a game from our Gophers!

EG#9

Reaction score
I was extremely impressed with the Gophers today, especially defensively in the 2nd half. This Gophers not only forced a lot of turnovers with excellent defense and tremendous hustle, but also made those turnovers count by finding the open guy.

I thought Iverson struggled a little bit in the first half, but was excellent in the 2nd half. Damian was huge all day and I see Blake already has his own thread.

In my opinion, the team deserved for the fans to blow the roof off of Williams Arena at times during that big second half run. I hope Tubby, can continue to bring in more guys to press and play an uptempo style because it is a ton of fun to watch.

It was a great day at The Barn today...the second half was fantastic and the crowd was incredible in the second half.

Tubby showed a lot of emotion on the sideline today which was great. OSU came out and pushed us around in the first half and I was proud that we pushed back in the second. Our defensive pressure was fantastic and we fought on the boards all day long.

I was very surprised to see Thad Matta only shake Tubby's hand afterwards and then left the court without shaking our assistants or players' hands and of course wasn't on the court when the scuffle happened.

Today was an old fashioned Big Ten battle at the Barn!

Go Gophers!!

Agreed on all accounts. I'm sure Tubby raised his voice just a bit at halftime. Thank God we have a leader who can motivate and make strategy changes when needed.

It was huge. It might have been tough to avoid the NIT if we came out flat in the 2nd half. This game could go down as the most pivotal of the season. 8-6 is much less daunting that 9-5 the rest of the way. I feel good about our defensive effort being able to produce a 5-2 record at home for the balance of the season, which should be enough to vault us into the tourney.

See, this is why fans and coaches never look at things the same way. Some of you are already conceding a certain number of defeats. Instead of looking at 3-1 in conference and trying to figure out how to go 4-1 you're already at the end of the season worried about the tournament.

It was a great day at The Barn today...the second half was fantastic and the crowd was incredible in the second half.

Tubby showed a lot of emotion on the sideline today which was great. OSU came out and pushed us around in the first half and I was proud that we pushed back in the second. Our defensive pressure was fantastic and we fought on the boards all day long.

I was very surprised to see Thad Matta only shake Tubby's hand afterwards and then left the court without shaking our assistants or players' hands and of course wasn't on the court when the scuffle happened.

Today was an old fashioned Big Ten battle at the Barn!

Go Gophers!!

Thad Matta's an @ss IMO. By far my least favorite coach in the Big 10. Bo irrates the hell out of me with all ref whining the calls he gets, but I can respect that he's a hell of a coach. He'd never do what Matta did either. Matta's a great recruiter, but a first class jerk and not that great a game-day coach IMO.

Not to be overlooked; when things started getting bad for Ohio State early in the second half, Turner (among others) were visibly frustrated and played poorly as a result. Comes from a complete lack of discipline that can be traced back to Thad. I can't think of a time where I've seen any Gopher player (or group of players--Westbrook has his moments once in a blue moon) as frustrated (visibly) as I saw Turner and co. today. Yet another reason to love Tubby.

That being said, I think Turner is a thug. Saw him shoot a look to the student section and mouth "b****". Not to mention him whining about every little call, while Devoe and Nolen were getting whistled for ticky-tack contact on him.

Not to be overlooked; when things started getting bad for Ohio State early in the second half, Turner (among others) were visibly frustrated and played poorly as a result. Comes from a complete lack of discipline that can be traced back to Thad. I can't think of a time where I've seen any Gopher player (or group of players--Westbrook has his moments once in a blue moon) as frustrated (visibly) as I saw Turner and co. today. Yet another reason to love Tubby.

That being said, I think Turner is a thug. Saw him shoot a look to the student section and mouth "b****". Not to mention him whining about every little call, while Devoe and Nolen were getting whistled for ticky-tack contact on him.

Very excellent post - that's what it appeared like on TV... without seeing all of the 'looks' to the crowd as you described. After one basket in the second half, the BTN did show a brief look to the crown from Evan Turner, but nothing was said by the announcers....

Turner was whining the whole day toward the refs, his teammates and the Gophers. He is an excellent player, but I thought he was a classy guy, too, but he proved me wrong today. Some in the student section were hollering some really nasty stuff to him about the injury, although I could not imagine he could hear it from the place the isolated inappropriate comments were coming from.

OSU's coaching staff are bigger whiners than Ryan. If they did more coaching and less complaining, maybe their team would not become so unglued when it wasn't going their way.

By the way, I did not notice the scuffle after the game. It could not be too significant.

If they could teach their guys to rotate after a skip pass they wouldn't need to whine, but I guess whining is easier.

If they could teach their guys to rotate after a skip pass they wouldn't need to whine, but I guess whining is easier.

No kidding. Horrible rotation. We got so many open looks at 3s.

I'm not sure about the rest of that (I didn't see too many unfair fouls called on the Gophers this game), but certainly Turner got away with carrying every time he dribbled, and travelling much of the time when he drove. But, he's an NBA-type "superstar", just like Hummel. They get away with stuff no one else does...at least you don't see Hummel crying about it when he doesn't get every call.

Wasn't Turner the jerk-off last year who made some comment to Tubby after their game, too?

Top Bottom