What a bone head call by Brewster

Bayfieldgopher

Reaction score
Refuse a holding call and create a 4th & 1, Walla TD NU.

That could take easily the air out the boys. This one is on you Brewster

Then if he accepts and forces it 3rd & 11 and Kafka completes a 12 yard pass this thread would still exist...

Bayfield--have you been watching this game? 3 and 11 is the same as 3 an 1 against our D. Brewster made the right call--Royston makes a play and it works. He has to have SOME faith in the players doing their jobs.

Refuse a holding call and create a 4th & 1, Walla TD NU.

That could take easily the air out the boys. This one is on you Brewster

They have converted almost every single 3rd-and-long anyway. I agree with Brewster, give them 1 play to beat you instead of 2. We're a better D on short yardage. Our D is too slow to react to any short passing game, so we give up pass after pass.

I thought Mason was gone. Why do we play the same stupid defense?

It was the right call, and it's not "walla" it's "voila".

I had no issues with putting them at 4th and 2. They had been dicing us with the pass all game, put their back against the wall on 4th down.

Look closely at the replay. When he finally had full possession, both feet were off the ground. His hand hit out of bounds before any other part of the body touched the ground. Therefore, incomplete pass.

Yeah, when I first looked at it, I thought his knees hit the ground before his hand but I was wrong.

Apparently the officials don't have HD for reviews. The NW TD catch and the 'incomplete' pass to Decker were obvious missed calls.

Look closely at the replay. When he finally had full possession, both feet were off the ground. His hand hit out of bounds before any other part of the body touched the ground. Therefore, incomplete pass.

I thought the same thing, his feet were in the air and the hand hit out of bounds by the time he controlled the ball

Respectfully have to disagree...if have any faith in your defense, you make it 3rd & 11...percent chance of converting a 4th & 1 has to be high.

Respectfully have to disagree...if have any faith in your defense, you make it 3rd & 11...percent chance of converting a 4th & 1 has to be high.

What makes you think the defense deserved to have "faith in it" at that point of the game?

At no point during the second half did I have faith in our D, that's how poorly they were playing until the two forced fumbles the last two plays.

Apparently the officials don't have HD for reviews. The NW TD catch and the 'incomplete' pass to Decker were obvious missed calls.

Well, at least in this case the outcome of the game was not determined by those calls.

Brewster was probably thinking NU would try the field goal on 4th down and a short 2. But once NU decided to go for it of course he couldn't change his mind and accept the penalty.

If it was a situation where there was no question NU would go for it on 4th down I really think Brew would have backed them up to the 3rd and 12.

At that point he wanted to hold NU to a field goal and get his D off the field, and keep the lead. I like the decision.

What makes you think the defense deserved to have "faith in it" at that point of the game?

At no point during the second half did I have faith in our D, that's how poorly they were playing until the two forced fumbles the last two plays.

We had no faith because of Cosgrove's strategy, way too much cushion given to WRs, odd blitzes, and lack there of, most of afternoon...still fall back on success of 1st 3-games...giving them a 4th & 1 just never made sense to me when you're up 4 w/ seconds to go in 3rd qtr.

The better choice is always in hindsight! I think the choice of having them in 4th down play was the motivating factor. Either position gave NW a field goal, but at least having them at 4th down, they were more likely to try the field goal rather then a shot at a td. Personally I think he made the right call, it just did not work. Some plays are like that. The right call, just doesn't work according to script.

We had no faith because of Cosgrove's strategy, way too much cushion given to WRs, odd blitzes, and lack there of, most of afternoon...still fall back on success of 1st 3-games...

Doogie - I agree completely with your first statement there. I was posting that during the game, it felt so Mason-esque.

4th and a yard and a half or third and 11 1/2? 90% of coaches force the 4th down play.

It was the wrong call since it wasn't based on whether or not we stop them on 4th and 1. It was the wrong call because Brew thought they would settle for the field goal and he was wrong. I can't prove it of course--it's just my gut feeling.

Refusing the penalty and forcing the 4th down was the correct call there. We are terrible at defending third and long. I liked our chances better at 4th and short. It didn't work but I would make the same call again. No regrets from where I'm sitting.

Refusing the penalty and forcing the 4th down was the correct call there. We are terrible at defending third and long. I liked our chances better at 4th and short. It didn't work but I would make the same call again. No regrets from where I'm sitting.

Agreed. NW had been converting 3rd and long all day. More importantly, the receiver on that TD pass was out of bounds. If the refs had their heads out of the asses and made the right call the Gophers would have gotten the ball back on downs. In which case, Brewster looks like a genius.

It's not like the ball was at the 1 yd line. If they run a standard sneak it's at the 12 and they still need to get it into the end zone. We force their hand, they either take the 3 or risk turning it over. Frankly, if I were Fitz, at home, in the 3rd, I'd have taken the sure pts. I think a lot of you are letting the results cloud your judgment. The guy made a circus catch, I doubt that's what NW drew up.

We had no faith because of Cosgrove's strategy, way too much cushion given to WRs, odd blitzes, and lack there of, most of afternoon...still fall back on success of 1st 3-games...giving them a 4th & 1 just never made sense to me when you're up 4 w/ seconds to go in 3rd qtr.

You guys have to be comfortable with giving NW cushions. With 4-5 WR sets, all sorts of misdirection and routes, running a tight man coverage will blow up on us a few times over the course of a game. Their longest play was the 24 yd td, that is success. We're not going to get in any 4th and 10 situations with them, you have to play for 4th and 2s by keeping them in front of us, getting a key incompletion and a turnover here and there. Make them get 6 first downs to get a td.

I thought it was always customary to take it to 4th down? I didn't even know that was a debate. I do think the percentages say 4th and 2 or whatever, is more likely than 3rd and 11, FOR THAT PLAY. But you are also giving them two chances to get that first now. In declining, you either end up giving up a FG, or you only give them one chance to convert instead of two. I could be wrong, but I thought taking the 4th down was the usual strategy. Not that Brewster necessarily has to always do what is usually done, but I don't think he was doing anything out of the ordinary there.

It may or may not have been the wrong call. But anyone on here claiming it was OBVIOUSLY the wrong call is an idiot...except for doogie. He's a genius.

Do you really think that?

Why give them two shots? A flag, a drop, a sack, an Int, an out an out stop....You sometimes just have to make a stand. You just told your defense you believed in them. Did it work no, but it made an impression on your whole team. They completed the play, got a TD and still lost. The D got pushed around for most of the game, then rose up and made the play of the game, on the strip and recovery at the 4. I think the game was coached very well today.

Section2 -- Hard to sense sarcasm on a message board, but will take guess that tongue was firmly planted in cheek...obviously, it's subjective, but in that circumstance, seconds left in the 3rd, up 4, I make it 3rd-and-11 from the 23...felt at the time, and still feel, would've had a better chance at limiting them to a FG attempt...and maybe a 39-yard FG attempt, which for their kicker would've been no give-me.

Top Bottom