Whaley Released

Gold Rush

Reaction score
Whaley was officially released from his scholarship. Looks like we need one more running back. Hate to lose the guy - I liked him

I wonder if Brewster suggested Whaley ask for his release? This is truly sad.

Well this kind of sets the RB situation for the start of the year at least. Bennett is the clear #1 with Eskridge backing him up. There is something to be said for having one main guy.

What does Brew do for the third back, he likes to have three. Salamon? or does he continue over to the defense as some have thought. Do we leave the third spot for the new guys to allow them a chance to gain more playing time and develop?

I wonder if Brewster suggested Whaley ask for his release? This is truly sad.

I wouldn't exactly say it's sad. KW has nobody to blame but himself. I have zero sympathy for him.

Well, I am glad he is off the team. It is exactly what Kevin Whaley deserved, but I still feel a little bad for a kid that has the world in his hands and is too stupid and immature to not blow it for himself.

Oh well, he certainly had his chances here and hopefully this will be the wake up call the young man needs to get his life in order (I doubt it, but I hope).

That said, I think our running back situation will be...
Eskridge #1
Bennett as the third down guy
hopefully Wright can step up and take some carries as well

One of the newcomers should be the feature back. If Eskridge is our feature back, we are in big trouble.

I wouldn't exactly say it's sad. KW has nobody to blame but himself. I have zero sympathy for him.

I second that! It's almost a mirror image of what happened last year. What happens next time? I hope he gets his life together.

One of the newcomers should be the feature back. If Eskridge is our feature back, we are in big trouble.

Yeah, I hear your concerns, I just think Eskridge is probably the safe bet. He reads his blocks fairly well and he will be experienced. He does completely lack the explosiveness you'd want in a featured back and I hope Wright can come in and give that to us.

This might seem way out there, but does anyone think there is any chance Stoudermire takes some snaps at RB this season? He's built like a small RB (5'10" 183), is better with the ball in his hands than he is at catching the ball and took some snaps in the Wildcat. He also plays a position where I'm not sure he seperates himself too much from Allen.

We always have to remember that no matter how good you are there is a learning curve. If one of the new kids plays he won't start off as a featured back. He may earn it relatively quickly, but very unlikely. It's just not how Brew rolls.

Lamonte Edwards, come on down!:clap:

I'd be more surprised if Lamonte Edwards doesn't play LB than I would if Seantrel Henderson plays for the Gophers (and that would shock me).

We better pray to whatever/whomever you believe in that one of the new guys is good because last years guys were not.

Running Back is one position where a newcomer can take over immediately. The door is wide open for Edwards, Kirwood or Wright. Hopefully, we can add one more back such as Lipscomb to the mix to replace Whaley's spot.

You, know they might not have been as bad as you think. Our total run offense numbers sucked sure, but our guys don't rate so poorly in ypc. Between the three of them they averaged four yards per carry, not stellar but not anything like the 2.9 team average. Given our line, maybe it's not the RB's.

It really seems that the sum of the parts was greater than the whole. It should be opposite. This year we can blame it on the scheme change. Next year not so much.

The running backs were too slow, not shifty enough, not big enough and not nearly good enough though I would agree the offensive line was terrible as well.

I'd be more surprised if Lamonte Edwards doesn't play LB than I would if Seantrel Henderson plays for the Gophers (and that would shock me).

Prepare to be shocked. I like Edwards at LB but there is a much better chance of him at RB than Henderson at Minnesota.

Strike two as I see it. But two is enough. He had his chance and he blew it. Good riddance.

I count strike one as the gun shot wound he suffered outside a night club back home the summer before his true freshman year in college that required him to red shirt.

I think the running backs have been and will continue to be one of the biggest weakness of the Brewster era. Below average as a group. None of them are proficient at breaking arm tackles, none seem to have exceptional vision, and only Whaley had decent speed. Does seem to me that Eskridge showed a bit of an edge in the bowl game - hopefully he'll progress. I'm afraid if one of the newcomers doesn't step in immediately, this could prove to be a primary reason for the ultimate downfall of Tim Brewster. I sure hope not.

I wonder if Mr. Huff might see an even better opportunity here, now?

He's already flip-flopped like a handful of times, so it wouldn't be unheard of...

Just a thought...

Please come back KW - You forgot to take Brewster and Maturi with you...

SouthMetro

+1. Whaley was the only guy on the roster with the explosiveness to potentially be a quality starting Big Ten RB. Neither Bennett or Eskridge has the required explosiveness for the job.

Devon Wright or one of those other new guys is gonna have to be the man. Any more word on the odds of seeing Hasan Lipscomb in maroon and gold come fall? Maybe Josh Huff comes back to the fold as well.

Where do you see Kevin Whaley 10 years from now? If he doesn't turn around his life, I fear it won't be in a good place.

Where do you see Kevin Whaley 10 years from now? If he doesn't turn around his life, I fear it won't be in a good place.

mmm...prison or dead. I really hope the best for him though. Maybe he can go back home go to juco and start over...idk

Top Bottom