Western Michigan transfer LB Ryan Selig commits to Gophers

Our coaches kept going after these underwhelming medium sized fishes in a small pond! Just like their HS recruiting patterns….3⭐️s seem to be their sweet spot. 🤦🏻‍♂️

And we sit here and wonder why we don’t and can’t beat the ILL, Purdue, Iowa, and PSU? And why we couldn’t get to a B1G championship this year with the easiest schedule probably in the next 10 years?

We suck at recruiting! UMN ain’t got it. Fleck can’t attract top tier HS or portal players! Why did I graduate from the U 🤦🏻‍♂️
Let me guess you would rather have a backup that didn't see the field at a big school vs. a proven player that earned All-Conference at a smaller school?

3 Star is naturally the sweet spot... there are only 34 5 star football recruits, there are about 250 4 star football recruits, about 500 3 star recruits.

Meh. Was hoping for better.

Let me guess you would rather have a backup that didn't see the field at a big school vs. a proven player that earned All-Conference at a smaller school?

3 Star is naturally the sweet spot... there are only 34 5 star football recruits, there are about 250 4 star football recruits, about 500 3 star recruits.
There absolutely are posters who put way more stock in what a kid was rated out of high school and where he went to college over how that kid has played since he arrived in college.

For example I guarantee there are fans who were more excited about Markus Allen than Corey Crooms because Allen was higher rated and played at Wisconsin, even though when you look at their production at the college level it isn't even close who has had more on the field success.

People bitching about Fleck taking guys who have been multiple year starters and proven themselves over 4-5* guys who have never seen the field takes the cake.

People forget how much Fleck has won with kids that he had committed to WMU.

Chris Autman-Bell
Jacob Paulson
Tanner Morgan
John Michael-Schmitz
Mohamed Ibrahim
Ezezi Otomewo- After taking MN job

Our coaches kept going after these underwhelming medium sized fishes in a small pond! Just like their HS recruiting patterns….3⭐️s seem to be their sweet spot. 🤦🏻‍♂️

And we sit here and wonder why we don’t and can’t beat the ILL, Purdue, Iowa, and PSU? And why we couldn’t get to a B1G championship this year with the easiest schedule probably in the next 10 years?

We suck at recruiting! UMN ain’t got it. Fleck can’t attract top tier HS or portal players! Why did I graduate from the U 🤦🏻‍♂️

There is no way the U admitted you. The General College ended years ago.

People bitching about Fleck taking guys who have been multiple year starters and proven themselves over 4-5* guys who have never seen the field takes the cake.

Chris Autman-Bell
Jacob Paulson
Tanner Morgan
John Michael-Schmitz
Mohamed Ibrahim
Or the more recent examples of guys like Gibbens and Trickett who came in and were very good players for us.

It's always an expectation issue with administration and fans. Some are satisfied by having a "clean" program that builds young men and is competitive (Northwestern, Vanderbilt). Some are driven by winning and creating a legitimate chance at a national championship (Boise State, Cincinnati, UCF). Not to hurt any feelings, but I would put Coyle and Fleck in the first category.
So with the rarely seen in my lifetime (54) winning, and the firing of coordinators and coaches, Coyle and Fleck are satisfied with competitive?

Yah-E is either a Wiscy or Iowa troll or Pat Reusse's side hobby.

Some have already addressed this but I’ll reiterate. Jack Gibbens from Abilene Christian was excellent for us and just got activated to the towns 53 man roster. Selig was a two year starter and good player at WMU and had offers from ISU, IU, Wake Forrest and heavy interest from Iowa. Crooms was second team all Mac and very good.

Both guys like are day 1, instant impact starters that immediately make us better. Crooms especially is a big time get who had offers from Iowa, Wisconsin and MSU.

Some have already addressed this but I’ll reiterate. Jack Gibbens from Abilene Christian was excellent for us and just got activated to the towns 53 man roster. Selig was a two year starter and good player at WMU and had offers from ISU, IU, Wake Forrest and heavy interest from Iowa. Crooms was second team all Mac and very good.

Both guys like are day 1, instant impact starters that immediately make us better. Crooms especially is a big time get who had offers from Iowa, Wisconsin and MSU.
Big whoop😉

Forgot to add Kyler Baugh, he was very good for us this year from Houston Baptist.

Chris Autman-Bell
Jacob Paulson
Tanner Morgan
John Michael-Schmitz
Mohamed Ibrahim
Had Fleck stayed at WMU and kept all these guys, they would have been terrifying at the MAC level.

First of all, I put Yah-E on ignore a long time ago and would suggest others do the same. I don't mind engaging with rational people who disagree with me, but there's a few on here to whom the term doesn't apply.

Second, the best predictor of the future is past success, and so far PJ's record with transfers from ANY level is pretty outstanding. I expect both these guys will make a big impact next year.

Had Fleck stayed at WMU and kept all these guys, they would have been terrifying at the MAC level.
It also shows how slim the talent margin can be and how much coaching/development is a factor.

It's always an expectation issue with administration and fans. Some are satisfied by having a "clean" program that builds young men and is competitive (Northwestern, Vanderbilt). Some are driven by winning and creating a legitimate chance at a national championship (Boise State, Cincinnati, UCF). Not to hurt any feelings, but I would put Coyle and Fleck in the first category.
I would put Fleck and Coyle "in between." They want to run a clean program with true civic-minded student athletes who want to be here at the school. I think our program doesn't have the emotional resources to deal with entitled, prima donna athletes who believe that college is simply a task to endure until they qualify for the NFL draft. But PJ and Coyle also want very badly to win. But their desire to win is tempered by the first category. I'm good with that. In fact, I'm damn proud of it.

There's probably 1,500 or even 2000 3 star recruits actually

I have two words for the people who are bitching about the lower level transfers.

Jack Gibbons-B1G all conference selection!

So with the rarely seen in my lifetime (54) winning, and the firing of coordinators and coaches, Coyle and Fleck are satisfied with competitive?
Competitive is way, way better than losing. Especially when the odds aren't in your favor because of a school's location, lack of NIL dollars, etc.

mngolf, I've got a question for you: Let's say that a golfer for years has had a 20 handicap but got his act together, got in better shape, worked really hard on developing his game, took lessons, and gradually moved his handicap down to 10. And he continues to work on his game, hoping for further improvement. I personally would applaud the golfer for his competitiveness and desire to improve. You apparently would ridicule him because competitiveness isn't a good enough. If he isn't "scratch" yet, he's failing in his efforts to improve. How can anybody be satisfied with mere competitive, right?

How I partied in the first two years there where my BAC was higher than my GPA, I often ask the same & still shocked that the U gave me a diploma! 😆🍻
Surprised you didn't spell it "dyeploma."

Reactions to Jack Gibbens being added.
What ever happened to John Galt? I kinda miss him!
not-really-nope.gif

Top Bottom