Westbrook

didn't I infact say he is a great shooter? Yes I did! Other than shoot threes he doesn't do much, sure he can make a nice pass, get a loose ball, or a decent rebound, occasionally but aren't ALL D1 players supposed to be able to do that? Yes!!!! if you can't it's sad!!!!!

He is a great 3 point shooter and yes he is in a bad slump but when you are in a slump you don't get out of it by taking bad contested threes. You put the ball on the deck and go to the hoop tryin to get fouled.

If anyone thinks he is in the top five MVP on this team it is sad and you are a huge homer.

Please respond and tell me what he does that makes him more valuable than any regular player on this team.

Other than shoot threes he does not bring anything else to the table. Horrible defender, not quick or fast enough to be a guard, cannot drive, isnt tough, and he can't rebound in traffic.

He makes threes and has two huge shots in his career which is good but he isnt a consintant force at all and probably never will be.
Wow. Such an asinine post I feel that much dumber for reading it.

I think you should take it up with Tubby for playing him too much then because Tubby must not know what he's doing to be playing him the 3rd most minutes on the team. Or Louisville, Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, etc. for offering such a terrible player a scholarship. It's not like he was the driving force in any major games for us over the past 2 years (PSU last year, Indiana in Big 10 tourney, Northwestern last year, CSU game this year, etc.)

Please respond and tell me what he does that makes him more valuable than any regular player on this team.
Nevermind being the 3rd leading scorer on our team, 2nd out of all the guards in rebounding (ahead of 8 other players on the team, including a nearly identical average rebounding to both RSIII and Iverson at 3.4 rebs per game vs 3.8, despite being 6 inches shorter), 3rd on the team in steals, or already ranked one of the best 3-point shooters in Gopher history.

You say in your previous post, "Yes he's a great shooter." Well son, there aren't that many "great" shooters in basketball. The fact that he is "great" already puts him heads and shoulders above 95% of the rest of D1 players, and makes defenses have to cover him that much tighter, opening it up for the rest of our team to penetrate or go 1 on 1 in the post.

The kid must be garbage...I'm sure our team would be much better if we followed your advice over of Tubby's, Rick Pitino's, and Mike Brey's.

Edit: I just realized you are only in high school (as you noted in an earlier post). I didn't mean to pick on a young man...just thought I should show you why your assumptions/opinions are factually inaccurate.

You might want to look at his big ten stats. He's been pretty bad, anyone could get decent stats against bad competition, like our NC schedule. He got all of his stats padded than.

Sounds like some of us aren't accustomed to this role as frontrunner and winner. (I'm sure not.) We've been the whipping boy for so long that our natural reflex is to rationalize and defend ourselves.

After Hoffarber's shot at the Big Ten tournament last year I looked around, scanned the arena and was in a state of shock. I waited for someone to come over the PA system and announce that we had, in fact, lost the game somehow. It took me quite some time to register what I was feeling. It was, simply stated, confused joy that I felt.

Each of these wins melts something inside of me and chips away at that nauseating and persistent question; Why can't WE be the winners sometimes? We've been the also-ran for so many years. Maybe I'll never be comfortable as the guy whose team is THE BEST. But I'd sure like to give it a try.

You might want to look at his big ten stats. He's been pretty bad, anyone could get decent stats against bad competition, like our NC schedule. He got all of his stats padded than.
Oh, the other 11 guys on our team must have not played in those NC games to "help" their averages then...I forgot Hoff played those teams by himself.

He must have stole your girlfriend and then had sex with her right in front of you! You have some serious hatred towards him. He's played his ass off. He got in foul trouble in the Louisville game because he wanted to do too much in front of his family and friends from home. He's been the spark that we need in games and was CLUTCH at the end of the game and in OT. Who would you prefer take in minutes anyways?

Lawrence, keep up the good work! Gopher nation thanks you for beating becky and everything you've done for the program.

Its weaker competition and those games were where he got the higher averages. It's a fact not an opinion.

When you take/took tests in school. Did you do better on the easy tests (weaker competition) or the hard tests (better competition)? He and everyone SHOULD do better against bad teams!

Last I checked, becky is a good team (i vomited a little saying that) and he put up a monster game.

Westbrook is a tough son of a gun He adds a lot to this team and plays hard all game long. His desire to take the big shot is what this team needs. His ability to knock down free throws is what this team needs. Just a solid solid player.

I think the posters on here who have been ripping him are way off base. He is emerging as a team leader as well as scoring threat and we really needed that bigtime!!

When you take/took tests in school. Did you do better on the easy tests (weaker competition) or the hard tests (better competition)? He and everyone SHOULD do better against bad teams!

Last I checked, becky is a good team (i vomited a little saying that) and he put up a monster game.

Are you honestly telling me Hoffarber had a monsterous game? 0 points, 2 boards, and 1 assist. That's a complete joke!

I believe you two are talking about two different people, where as biggie is talking about Westbrook because a lot of people have knocked him, as you are knocking Hoffarber. Hoffarber provides some things to this team that don't show up in the box score (leadership).

Are you honestly telling me Hoffarber had a monsterous game? 0 points, 2 boards, and 1 assist. That's a complete joke!
I can't believe I'm responding to a high-schooler who obviously hasn't watched many games.

No one is saying that Hoff had a great game. You said that "he shouldn't play over anyone on the team," and "should be sitting next to Kevin Payton." You asked what proof there is that he should be playing. I responded with his significance in every single statistical category compared to everyone else and how he's a huge asset to this team.

There is no longer anything else to argue about. You are simply ignoring the statistical reality of what he adds to this team that others players do not. He continues to receive the 3rd most playing time on the team for his ability to contribute when he is on the floor. I will continue to trust Tubby's judgment over yours, no offense.

However, if you want to give Tubby a 17 year-old's opinion of who should be playing and who should not, I suggest giving him a call.

Westbrook... If you were talking about Hoff, my bad. My point is still valid. You should do better against bad opponents than better ones. Simple logic.

What is fun to see is LW and Johnson playing so well. Just a short time ago there were so many doubters of these two guys.

Nice to see them mature on the court and prove that they belong.
Yes, it is nice to see both mature and improve vastly upon their first year as players.

What's particularly nice about this team is the improvement of the older players and the immediate contributions of the freshmen. I remember when when some people claimed that we could never compete for the better players due to an uneven "playing field" in terms of academic standards, weather, etc. Turns out that having an extremely capable coach will help level that playing field ... who would have known, eh? ;)

Top Bottom