Well, I finally joined Dinkytown Athletes - whose with me, and whose already here?

I certainly understand where you're coming from.

I paid most of my own way through college with little outside help, and part of me is, F that. But I do contribute to help the team I root for.

Better than buying Green Bay Packer stock and calling yourself an owner
I'll buy Duck Duck Beer! but that will be the extent of it for now...until I hit the lottery.

We gave $29k to the U last year—three more years of future contributions. This year, we started contributing to an MIAC school...and in a few years, it will be some other lucky college. There's no chance I'm paying for someone else’s kid, who already receives a free ride, to play sports.

Your money, you do what you want. No judging.

When you say $29k, I assume you are referencing the cost of attendance for undergrad tuition.

Isn't the rub that NIL can not be funded by a school? I want a competitive program, and if I had it my way the athletic department would be able to use a portion of it's revenue to fund NIL.

Regarding a "free ride," - I didn't think all football players got a full ride - is that true?

Things are going to get really interesting as the push for free college becomes the reality as younger people who have been pinched the hardest by the cost of college age and make change (8+ previous years experience in collegiate financial aid). Not trying to politicize this, frankly I believe both our comical two parties are to blame for the bloat of post secondary ed.

Fans pay for tickets, merch, parking, tv/streaming subscriptions, etc. Now in order to compete fans have to pay the players too. What an effing joke. Losing interest by the second.
Agreed. Those of you who supported NIL because you think players "should receive money for the sales of their jerseys!" were so shortsighted that you didn't see this mess that you helped create...God help you. If fans literally paying college football players to play the game is the world we have now, it's beyond disgusting.

Agreed. Those of you who supported NIL because you think players "should receive money for the sales of their jerseys!" were so shortsighted that you didn't see this mess that you helped create...God help you. If fans literally paying college football players to play the game is the world we have now, it's beyond disgusting.
People knew, but what is right is right.

No reason to tell people they can’t make money from their efforts.

People knew, but what is right is right.

No reason to tell people they can’t make money from their efforts.
When I played in college, my football scholarship was the financial reward for my efforts. This insane sports world now created...quick, tell me the difference between college sports and professional sports!

When I played in college, my football scholarship was the financial reward for my efforts. This insane sports world now created...quick, tell me the difference between college sports and professional sports!
Not much difference.

It’s all the same entertainment $.

I'll give some. It's a simple choice really. We either bite the bullet on NIL or we don't field winning teams. End of story. I don't like it either but I will do it. That's the situation we're in. And yeah... I will be proud of doing my part.

I cant see this ending well for college athletics. it will be an arms race and if you dont have some huge donors, you will be left behind. If someone give $500,000 to DTA, it could be used up on one player, not sure where that will get you. I had hockey season tix for 21 years and have had football since the opening of the new stadium, the NIL, free transfer, etc, has really made me question if I want to support this any longer. If I won a lottery I would give some $, but otherwise I will not.

I also feel this is just the tip of the issues, could see schools dropping out of D1 all together. wonder how everyone will feel about this in 10 years.

not putting anyone down who gives to them, but just not my thing. Will always support the Gophers

Yes. Pitched in modest amounts for football and softball. Joined last year. The NIL funds need some whales, though, or hundreds/thousands like me.

Same. AA level. Joined last year, and I have to say that it does feel appreciated so I'll keep doing it. There may be a point where I feel those funds are better diverted but not yet. My reasoning; I know all too well what it's like to be a broke as f'k student athlete. It's not a lot, but it's something.

I’ll join at a decent level next year; just have some very large expenses soaking up the vast majority of my disposable income this year.

Super happy to see the deals with Parlour and Duck Duck beer, I believe the only way to get corporate sponsorship is to buy from these companies and make it impact their bottom line. I’ve spent probably $150 at Parlour the last 2 home games, so trying to do my part! 😂😂

What I’d REALLY like to see is the university give more game used jerseys to players, so that the players can either keep or sell. I’d gladly pay $2k for a Darius Taylor, AK8, or Tyler Nubin game used jersey. I’m not saying that’s enough money to fend off some of the money being thrown around college football, but if Taylor got 5 jerseys a year and chose to sell them… that would be $10k in his pocket and I’d have perceived value for my hard earned money.

What I’d REALLY like to see is the university give more game used jerseys to players, so that the players can either keep or sell. I’d gladly pay $2k for a Darius Taylor, AK8, or Tyler Nubin game used jersey. I’m not saying that’s enough money to fend off some of the money being thrown around college football, but if Taylor got 5 jerseys a year and chose to sell them… that would be $10k in his pocket and I’d have perceived value for my hard earned money.
Is this permissible? Seems right up the alley of what NIL should be to me. I'd rather have a helmet, but your point stands.

Is this permissible? Seems right up the alley of what NIL should be to me. I'd rather have a helmet, but your point stands.
As it stands, the equipment doesn't belong to the players because the schools supply it. I think that what you propose would be permissible as long as the school required the player to buy the jersey for fair market price and then the player re-sold it.

I agree it's insanity - but I think the part that is "insane" isn't that players are now getting paid.

The part that's insane is that schools make hundreds of millions of dollars off of athletes, and expected to continue to do so forever.

This isn't the 1940s - collegiate football has made billions of dollars off the backs of unpaid players.

This doesn't negate my frustrations with how much the NIL is going to perpetuation (and likely worsen) parity in college football.

I'm fine with paying players, but I do want regulation to help put some guardrails on parity.

I have absolutely no problem with NIL — in the original spirit it was intended: a student athlete in some sport signs an agreement to film four 30sec promos for “Gopher Sandwich Shop” and make 10 social media posts through the year promoting them, for $2000.

That was the original spirit and intention of it.

Collectives are barely quasi-legal. More like, no one has the balls to rule them against the rules yet.

It’s literally just a formal organization of when boosters used to tuck an envelope filled with cash in a kid’s jacket with a pat on the back.

Zero actual NIL is involved in the transaction.

They just (literally) funnel small donations from many fans into “legal” contracts with players. The players don’t “do” jack squat for the money. It’s a no-show job. Or if they do, it’s the minimal possible thing they can get away with: maybe one social media post saying thanks to DA.

This is just paying players. It’s literally just that.

So … make the schools pay the players out of their revenues.

Don't lie to yourselves and think that college extracurricular activities are not about money because they are. From lectures given by visiting dignitaries to fraternities and sororities, both social and professional, to theater performances to art exhibitions to archeological displays to athletic competitions to robotics competitions, and anything else not classroom related, all these extracurricular activities are sponsored by the University to appeal to the larger community for support. That support has to translate to funding for the University.

Over one hundred years ago, one of the things that the University decided was worthy of their sponsorship to was athletics. One of the athletic endeavors they sponsored was a team in the new sport called football. Over ninety years ago, the football team won it's first national championship. This brought notoriety to the school and funding along with it. Six more national championships in football followed and the University of Minnesota found itself flourishing because of the money that notoriety brought with it.

This high of athletic and academic success dud not go unnoticed. Infighting began for more: more control, more dollars, more more. This is where the fallacy that all the money in any extracurricular program came from the University because it sponsored those programs. Booster programs outside the University were confused with actual university funding. Just as quickly as the money came in, so did it dwindle to a trickle.

The more polarized each side became the tighter the budgets became. The tighter the budgets became, the less success each aspect of the University had, Scholarly or Athletic.

You can't replicate what happened, but to get up off the bottom, both sides have to recognize their connection and how that connection can pump up each other.

Here ends today's pontificating. 😉

I have absolutely no problem with NIL — in the original spirit it was intended: a student athlete in some sport signs an agreement to film four 30sec promos for “Gopher Sandwich Shop” and make 10 social media posts through the year promoting them, for $2000.

That was the original spirit and intention of it.

Collectives are barely quasi-legal. More like, no one has the balls to rule them against the rules yet.

It’s literally just a formal organization of when boosters used to tuck an envelope filled with cash in a kid’s jacket with a pat on the back.

Zero actual NIL is involved in the transaction.

They just (literally) funnel small donations from many fans into “legal” contracts with players. The players don’t “do” jack squat for the money. It’s a no-show job. Or if they do, it’s the minimal possible thing they can get away with: maybe one social media post saying thanks to DA.

This is just paying players. It’s literally just that.

So … make the schools pay the players out of their revenues.
Even if the collectives are just a way for people to voluntarily give their money to other people who voluntarily accept it with no other expectations, why would that be "barely quasi-legal?" The NCAA had rules against this activity for decades. The courts have indicated that such limitations are not permissible.

I have a dumb question... I think we can all agree what NIL is supposed to represent is 100% different than what it actually is, but what would my donation go to? Does it just go into a big bank that gets drawn from? Who decides who gets the money and how much?

I get the spirit of the rule is Athan Kalikmanis can sell 8x10s of himself and autograph them and make a few dollars all the way up to Caleb Williams signing a deal with Wendy's, but they are 'working' for their money.

Don't take this the wrong way, I am not against Dinkytown Athletes and what they are doing. I am guessing all of us on GopherHole are known as the "Gopher Guy" in their social circle and I had a friend ask me last weekend how it works... does he just write a check to Dinkytown Athletes and it goes to Darius Taylor. It made me realize I had no idea how the process works.

Even if the collectives are just a way for people to voluntarily give their money to other people who voluntarily accept it with no other expectations, why would that be "barely quasi-legal?" The NCAA had rules against this activity for decades. The courts have indicated that such limitations are not permissible.

My understanding is the O’Bannon appeals and other more recent follow on rulings only applied to NCAA limitations on “education-related costs”. Then, the NCAA punted in 2019/2020 rather than fight CA, FL and a handful of others on NIL legislation and the dominoes fell. Correct me if I’m wrong. Have the courts specifically addressed NIL? My take was the NCAA saw it had lost in the court of public opinion but maybe it was a losing hand in real court.

My understanding is the O’Bannon appeals and other more recent follow on rulings only applied to NCAA limitations on “education-related costs”. Then, the NCAA punted in 2019/2020 rather than fight CA, FL and a handful of others on NIL legislation and the dominoes fell. Correct me if I’m wrong. Have the courts specifically addressed NIL? My take was the NCAA saw it had lost in the court of public opinion but maybe it was a losing hand in real court.
The Supreme Court's decision was limited to the issues presented in the case before it, but the Kavanaugh concurring opinion was much broader and signaled serious concerns with the legitimacy of the whole NCAA framework. That opinion put the NCAA on notice that it's "unusual" treatment of student-athletes and arbitrary limitations on their activity would receive careful scrutiny in future challenges. The NCAA has mostly turtled since then.

Top Bottom