Welcome new GopherHole Members!!

I attended the U from 2012-2017, and was in the Marching band from 2013-2017. I believe I joined Gopher Hole during the summer of 2014 after lurking for a few months. Don't have season tickets to anything right now because I live in WA at the moment.

I was noticing during the heady days of a week ago that the Rose Bowl Parade is 5 and a half miles over 2 and half hours. With your band experience, what do you think of marching and playing over that distance? Did you do anything like that?

I was noticing during the heady days of a week ago that the Rose Bowl Parade is 5 and a half miles over 2 and half hours. With your band experience, what do you think of marching and playing over that distance? Did you do anything like that?

Longest parade I was in during my time in band was down in Orlando for the citrus bowl.

With a parade that long it the non-TV areas will be more relaxed in terms of step hieght and whatnot so that everyone can look really good during the TV areas. I'm sure most bands do something similar unless they are used to long parades.

I grew up a Gopher fan and have been following this site for news on a near daily basis since 2009. I graduated in 2013 and had season tickets for football and basketball while I attended the U. There were some dark days but I attended every game over that span; also had season tickets for 2 years after I graduated. Over the years I’ve attended the Texas, Citrus, and Holiday Bowls.

Now that I live in Texas, I root from afar and travel to at least one game a year. I’ve missed one Axe game in the last decade, you’ll never guess which one.

Row the boat!

I grew up a Gopher fan and have been following this site for news on a near daily basis since 2009. I graduated in 2013 and had season tickets for football and basketball while I attended the U. There were some dark days but I attended every game over that span; also had season tickets for 2 years after I graduated. Over the years I’ve attended the Texas, Citrus, and Holiday Bowls.

Now that I live in Texas, I root from afar and travel to at least one game a year. I’ve missed one Axe game in the last decade, you’ll never guess which one.

Row the boat!
I missed that one and the 2017 shutout...otherwise been to everyone for almost the past 30 years.

I've been a guest for a while but the main reason I joined now is because one of my sons teammates just committed as a PWO and felt this would be one way to help support him and his new team.
I am a football fan period. I enjoy high school first (have two sons that played) but college football is a close second.
Thank you for having me.

I've been a guest for a while but the main reason I joined now is because one of my sons teammates just committed as a PWO and felt this would be one way to help support him and his new team.
I am a football fan period. I enjoy high school first (have two sons that played) but college football is a close second.
Thank you for having me.

Welcome! Here's hoping your sons teammates has a great experience and career at the U!

Hola everyone!! Newbie here but I have been a Gopher fan since I can remember. I remember when I was about 10 and Raking leaves in the yard on a Saturday and pull out a radio to listen to the wonderful Ray Christensen. I live in Hawkeye country now, and no longer in the St. Croix Valley but they can try to take the Gopher out of me but never will. Ski-U-Mah #RTB Go Gophers!!

For so long it has been agony rather than ecstasy for Gopher fans (I was at the 1952 game when John Cappelletti, in a trick play, tossed the winning TD pass to Paul Giel, who was the passer on the team). But later attended the 2003 Michigan 4th quarter disaster and all the other disasters and close calls. The PJ success this year seems unreal, and sometimes I think the TV football pundits are talking about another team, in a parallel universe. But I guess it's true. Finally, some ecstasy! Welcome aboard all those new to the site - we appreciate your participation and your comments.
I'm sure that would be "Gino" Cappeletti that you recall for the Gophers. John Cappelletti was a Heisman winner at Penn State in the 1970's. Gino was ahead of my time with the Gophers, but I remember him when he was a big star in the AFL during the 1960's. He played for the Patriots.

Hi everybody. Been reading Gopherhole for at least 5 years. I really enjoy reading all the posts. Living in Arizona there’s no coverage down here. This season has been so unreal for me. Im very excited for the future of this program. The Fresno State game I attended was one of the best games I’ve seen, couldn’t really get crazy since my wife and I were surrounded by Fresno fans but they were pretty cool. Looking forward to more games in the future, hopefully out west. The USC game was a great experience. Tailgating for them is starting at 5 in the morning. My buddies mom and dad are season ticket holders for 25 years. They bring everything but the kitchen sink to the tailgate. Lots of gopher fans that day though. Thanks everyone for your posts. You guys are truly my source of gophers news and entertainment. Ski-U-Mah

Hi everybody. Been reading Gopherhole for at least 5 years. I really enjoy reading all the posts. Living in Arizona there’s no coverage down here. This season has been so unreal for me. Im very excited for the future of this program. The Fresno State game I attended was one of the best games I’ve seen, couldn’t really get crazy since my wife and I were surrounded by Fresno fans but they were pretty cool. Looking forward to more games in the future, hopefully out west. The USC game was a great experience. Tailgating for them is starting at 5 in the morning. My buddies mom and dad are season ticket holders for 25 years. They bring everything but the kitchen sink to the tailgate. Lots of gopher fans that day though. Thanks everyone for your posts. You guys are truly my source of gophers news and entertainment. Ski-U-Mah

welcome!!

I had football season tickets for 22 years, until family obligations, made me miss games, so I gave them up. I was at the Metrodome during all of our meltdowns vs Michigan, Northwestern, Wisconsin, etc and it is so nice to see the Gophers have a really good team again. Go Gophers!!

Mid-30s current Chicagoan here. I grew up in the Twin Cities area, and started young! My great Aunt used to get me Gophers football season tickets for Christmas every year, starting around age 5 (so late 80s/early 90s). I was there for lots of big metrodome Ls during the Wacker years. Somehow been a big follower ever since...

I didn't go to the U, but both my parents & my sister did.

Been in Chicago now for 10+ years, but get back for as many games as I can; usually 1-2 a year.

Longtime lurker on GH. Glad to be aboard!

28 year old South Saint Paul resident and die hard Gopher fan. Dad raised me as a Gopher fan, he was a supporter since he was old enough to watch back in the late 60’s. I’ve been to almost every home game since I was 6 back in the Metrodome under Glen Mason, I think I’ve missed probably 4 total in 22 years. I went and got a SKI U MAH tattoo over the summer if that’s any indication of how much I live for Gopher football (and Gopher sports in general). My wife loves Gopher football, didn’t start going to games until she started dating me 10 years ago though. When my Dad passed away, my Mom let me put two of the 4 season tickets he had into my name. So I’m now a 2nd year season ticket holder. My entire family is made up of die hard Gopher fans: my Grandparents, uncle, Mom, 2 sisters, all of my cousins, my mother-in-law, and brother-in-law. The last three years we made it a goal to make it to one road Big Ten game a year, and we decided we’re going to make the trip if it’s for a cool road game during the non-conference as well (Colorado coming up or North Carolina for example). Our family made the trip to the Citrus bowl a few years ago. Wanted to go to the Outback this year, but money was an issue. Plan on saving for the Rose Bowl, because I think we’re going to it in the next couple years. Didn’t know about GopherHole’s existence until a couple years ago, and didn’t start giving my 2 cents on here until preseason this year.

28 year old South Saint Paul resident and die hard Gopher fan. Dad raised me as a Gopher fan, he was a supporter since he was old enough to watch back in the late 60’s. I’ve been to almost every home game since I was 6 back in the Metrodome under Glen Mason, I think I’ve missed probably 4 total in 22 years. I went and got a SKI U MAH tattoo over the summer if that’s any indication of how much I live for Gopher football (and Gopher sports in general). My wife loves Gopher football, didn’t start going to games until she started dating me 10 years ago though. When my Dad passed away, my Mom let me put two of the 4 season tickets he had into my name. So I’m now a 2nd year season ticket holder. My entire family is made up of die hard Gopher fans: my Grandparents, uncle, Mom, 2 sisters, all of my cousins, my mother-in-law, and brother-in-law. The last three years we made it a goal to make it to one road Big Ten game a year, and we decided we’re going to make the trip if it’s for a cool road game during the non-conference as well (Colorado coming up or North Carolina for example). Our family made the trip to the Citrus bowl a few years ago. Wanted to go to the Outback this year, but money was an issue. Plan on saving for the Rose Bowl, because I think we’re going to it in the next couple years. Didn’t know about GopherHole’s existence until a couple years ago, and didn’t start giving my 2 cents on here until preseason this year.

Love the family tradition and glad you started posting this season.

I was nine years old in 1949 when I first became interested in Gopher football. I listened faithfully to the broadcasts of their games on WCCO radio in hopes that we would go to the Rose Bowl. Our family had plans to spend the holidays with relatives in the Los Angeles area, and I wanted to be there. Every time iconic sportscaster Halsey Hall shouted, “Holy Cow”, my hopes soared; but, alas, we got edged out by Ohio State, who we had beaten 27-0 in Columbus. With a roster including the likes of All-Americans Leo Nomellini and Clayton Tonnemaker, we finished the season with a 7-2 record.

It was six years later, when I was fifteen before I attended my first game. My father took me to Homecoming against USC. The game was played on a cold, snowy day, in late October. It was an off-year for the Gophers who entered the game with a 1-4 record, facing the 5-1 Trojans. Despite the apparent mismatch, with the help of the weather, we got the upset 25-19.

Three years later, I was a freshman at the University and watched the Gophers go from worst to best in the Big Ten over the next four years. We went to the Rose Bowl (1961 -62) my Junior and Senior years and were declared National Champions after the 1960 season. It was exhilarating!!! I finally achieved my 1949 Rose Bowl goal twice. On my first trip to Pasadena, we spent a chilly night on Colorado Boulevard to get a front-row view of the Rose Bowl Parade. The next year, we were less willing to suffer, but manage to get a good vantage point for the parade.

I joined the Gopherhole twelve years ago. I love the Gophers and am excited about the future. Row the Boat and Ski-U-Mah. Welcome to all the newbies.

Not a U alum, but a Gopher fan for over 60 years. Been following the Gopherhole for at least the last 10. Saw my first Gopher football game in 1962, a 7-6 win over Purdue. At one time had season tickets for 4 different Gopher squads - football, men's basketball (39 Years), women's basketball, and volleyball. Currently have season tickets for the two women teams. It's been a fun but bumpy ride.

Top Bottom