Week 4: Nektons of the Week Announced: Daniel Jackson, Darnell Jefferies and Greg Johnson receive weekly honor

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the U:

University of Minnesota football coach P.J. Fleck announced the team's Nektons of the Week today. The Gophers just completed their fourth week of offseason workouts and Daniel Jackson (offensive), Darnell Jefferies (defensive) and Greg Johnson (newcomer) received the weekly honors.

Jackson competed in 11 games last year and led the team in receiving yards (557), receiving touchdowns (5) and was second in receptions (37). The two-time Academic All-Big Ten selection has 74 career catches for 991 yards and six touchdowns.

Jefferies transferred to Minnesota and spending four seasons at Clemson. He has one season of playing eligibility left with the Gophers. In his first year in Maroon and Gold, he saw action in all 13 games and made six tackles. The defensive lineman played in 29 career games at Clemson and had 22 tackles, one tackle loss and half of a sack.

Johnson, a true freshman, enrolled at Minnesota in January after a standout career at Prior Lake High School in Savage, Minn. He was a team captain and led the way for a Prior Lake rushing attack that averaged 239.3 yards per game, including 30 rushing touchdowns. Johnson was selected to the Minnesota Associated Press All-State football team and was a Star Tribune All-Metro Offense first-team selection. The four-star recruit was ranked as the No. 20 offensive lineman in the nation and as the No. 2 prospect in Minnesota.

Week 1 Nektons of the Week
Quinn Carroll (offensive)
Kyler Baugh (defensive)
Chris Collins (newcomer)

Week 2 Nektons of the Week
Jordan Nubin (offensive)
Rhyland Kelly (defensive)
Jack Henderson (newcomer)

Week 3 Nektons of the Week
Ashton Beers (offensive)
Justin Walley (defensive)
Sean Tyler (newcomer)

Go Gophers!!

Good to see a weekly list of those likely to be big positive impacts in 23-24. I suspect all 4 newcomers will start at some point this season. Yes, including Greg Johnson.

(Johnson) The four-star recruit was ranked as the No. 20 offensive lineman in the nation and as the No. 2 prospect in Minnesota

Huh?

Anybody have a link to the past weekly winners of all time?
Curious if these awards are any type of predictor to on field game success?

In the search bar at the top, search for the word "Nekton" in "Titles only" and you will find a lot of them.

Generally, yeah, the seem to be a decent indicator. I think some of them were clearly given to players who are working the hardest (unlikely to see much PT) like Preston Jelen, Bailey Schoefenhour (I just didn't want to google it), etc.

I was wondering this same thing when I first read this post. Would be cool to see someone break down last years and how it projected to last season.

(Johnson) The four-star recruit was ranked as the No. 20 offensive lineman in the nation and as the No. 2 prospect in Minnesota

Huh?
What part don't you get? There were 19 other offensive lineman in the country that were ranked ahead of him, and there was 1 player in Minnesota (Jaxon Howard) ranked ahead of him.

On the Air Force entry exam, are questions like "2 + 2 = ?" multiple choice or something? ; - )

Top Bottom