Week 4 Big Ten Power Rankings Thread

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Wolverines Wire first out of the gate:

9. Minnesota

Well, the good news is Minnesota beat Nebraska to start the season. The bad news is it just lost to Northwestern on the road.

While the Gophers would probably beat the Wildcats eight or nine times out of 10, it’s a very bad look, and it appears that Minnesota has taken a full step back this year.

Go Gophers!!

Buckeyes Wire chimes in:

9. Minnesota

Why the Ranking​

It’s becoming increasingly difficult to begin to understand the bottom of this league. Once these bottom teams begin playing each other, I would stay far, far away from trying to sprinkle any money on these matchups. What’s clear is that P.J. Fleck’s boat has run aground while rowing this season after a loss to Northwestern. Minnesota’s offense might make Iowa’s look like a polished operation this year … Nah, but you get the idea.

Last Week’s Power Ranking | 8 (⇓ down 1 spot)
Last Result | Lost at Northwestern 37-34 (OT)

Next Up … vs. Louisiana​

Go Gophers!!

Nittany Lions Wire chimes in:

8. Minnesota

Last game: Lost at Northwestern, 37-34 (OT)

The Gophers are trending in the wrong direction and making me regret my previous rankings of them this season. Minnesota’s offense has been stale all season and it just failed to close out a 21-point lead on the road against Northwestern before losing in overtime. That is an inexcusable loss for Minnesota and they deserve to be hammered for it.

Previous ranking: 6

Next up for Minnesota: vs. Louisiana

Go Gophers!!

Badgers Wire chimes in:

14. Minnesota

Week 4 Result: 37-34 (OT) loss to Northwestern
Previous Rank: 7 (down 7 spots)

Before you counter this with facts: no, I do not think Minnesota is the worst team in the Big Ten. But a Power Ranking list must have rules. If you as a team lose to Northwestern, you will find yourself at No. 14 for a week.

An absolutely inexcusable loss for P.J. Fleck’s team, who year after year talks like a Big Ten West contender yet never backs it up on the field.

The vaunted Golden Gopher defense allowed Northwestern to rack up 492 total yards, as QB Ben Bryant threw for 396 yards and 4 touchdowns. There aren’t enough words to explain how bad of a loss this was.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom