Thursday, December 30
ESPN, 3:00 pm
Nissan Stadium, Nashville, TN
Bowl Tie-Ins: Big Ten vs. SEC
Bowl Projection: Minnesota vs Tennessee
Last Year: Canceled

Go Gophers!!

Two things I don't want:
  • Music City Bowl vs. Tennessee (99.9% Vols fans)
  • Any bowl vs. Miss St (incessant "highlights" of the '06 meltdown vs Texas Tech)

Music city would be fun, hopefully a solid SEC win again like Auburn.

Music city bowl was a great time. Las Vegas bowl will render most with liver and brain damage.

Why not incessant highlights of the Holiday Bowl vs WSU?
Good point! I had totally forgotten about Leach being on the other side of that, so kudos. Still, knowing our luck the production crew would totally forget about that too lol...

Iowa loses to Nebraska and we beat Wisky, this changes

Iowa would have to lose against both Illinois and Nebraska and we would have to win our final two games for us to finish ahead of them. They have two conference losses and we have three. If they lost just one game and we won both of ours, we would each have three losses but they win the tie by winning the game against us.

Two things I don't want:
  • Music City Bowl vs. Tennessee (99.9% Vols fans)
  • Any bowl vs. Miss St (incessant "highlights" of the '06 meltdown vs Texas Tech)

If we finish 7-5, I don't think we go there. We're likely in the Pinstripe against an ACC team or, possibly worse, the Guaranteed Rate Bowl.

The only good thing about the latter one is that it would be the first time in awhile that a Big Ten and Big 12 team met in a bowl assigned to conferences. For some reason, there have been no matchups between those two conferences in conference assigned bowls since Kansas State beat Michigan in the 2013 Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl. Michigan State beat Baylor by a point in the 2014 Cotton Bowl but that was an at-large New Years Day bowl. No Big Ten team has played a Big 12 team in a bowl since.

Sporting News has us meeting Clemson in Duke's Mayo Bowl.

That's in Charlotte, NC and the weather would be cooler; a good thing for us I think.

I also think that's a good psychological matchup for us. The Gophers should be enthusiastic about meeting Clemson, even in a down year, whereas Clemson players might see that as a real letdown. I think we had a similar situation a few years ago with Georgia Tech where they viewed that game as a disappointment but we were happy because we didn't expect to be bowl eligible until the surprising rout of Wisconsin.

Iowa would have to lose against both Illinois and Nebraska and we would have to win our final two games for us to finish ahead of them. They have two conference losses and we have three. If they lost just one game and we won both of ours, we would each have three losses but they win the tie by winning the game against us.
If we win out and Iowa loses to Nebraska, then Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota all have three losses. And Purdue could end up with three losses, too. All teams would have wins and losses against each other, so other tiebreakers would come into play. Not that I'm expecting it.

CBS is first out of the gate:

Dec. 29Pinstripeteam logo
Virginia Tech
vs.
team logo
Minnesota
ACC vs. Big Ten2:15 PMNew York, N.Y

Go Gophers!!
Honest to High Heaven, if the Gophers end up in this worthless bowl, they should just say no and go home. I can hardly think of anything less thrilling than playing in late December in Yankee Stadium.

Sporting News has us meeting Clemson in Duke's Mayo Bowl.

That's in Charlotte, NC and the weather would be cooler; a good thing for us I think.

I also think that's a good psychological matchup for us. The Gophers should be enthusiastic about meeting Clemson, even in a down year, whereas Clemson players might see that as a real letdown. I think we had a similar situation a few years ago with Georgia Tech where they viewed that game as a disappointment but we were happy because we didn't expect to be bowl eligible until the surprising rout of Wisconsin.
Big Ten only has the Mayo Bowl in 2020, 22, and 24

ESPN chimes in:

TransPerfect Music City Bowl
Nissan Stadium (Nashville, Tennessee)
3 p.m. on ESPN and the ESPN App

Bonagura: Arkansas vs. Penn State
Schlabach: Mississippi State vs. Minnesota

SRS Distribution Las Vegas Bowl
Allegiant Stadium (Las Vegas)
10:30 p.m. on ESPN and the ESPN App

Bonagura: Minnesota vs. UCLA
Schlabach: Purdue vs. UCLA

Go Gophers!!
Those would be the best locations!

Music city bowl was a great time. Las Vegas bowl will render most with liver and brain damage.
Nashville has just as much drinking as Vegas from what I've seen.

Honest to High Heaven, if the Gophers end up in this worthless bowl, they should just say no and go home. I can hardly think of anything less thrilling than playing in late December in Yankee Stadium.
Agree. I said a week or so ago that playing a 6-6 ACC in NYC was horrible.

It could actually be worse because if there aren't enough bowl eligible teams, minimum 6-6, we could potentially get a 5-7 ACC team.

Yeah!

Agree. I said a week or so ago that playing a 6-6 ACC in NYC was horrible.

It could actually be worse because if there aren't enough bowl eligible teams, minimum 6-6, we could potentially get a 5-7 ACC team.

Yeah!
If there aren’t enough 6-6 teams to fill the slot, I’m 80% sure conference affiliation is out the window

Music City or Las Vegas would be good at this point.

Music City or Las Vegas would be good at this point.
Re Nashville, a great party town with good restaurants, it also has a perfect replica of the Parthenon in a park near downtown. Inside and out, it is an exact replica of the original, even down to position toward the sun. The inside has the giant statue of Athena and other restored items, including the roof that is missing in Greece now because either the Turks or Venetians, in a 1600s war, stored ammunition in it and the whole place blew up, roof and all. The Parthenon is really a modern ruin, not an ancient one. A once-in-a-lifetime chance, in Nashville, to see the original restored in every detail. They charge a fee, but only about six bucks. Open every day.

I love NYC. It's one of the coolest places in the world. But in late December in the South Bronx - not so much.

I love NYC. It's one of the coolest places in the world. But in late December in the South Bronx - not so much.
Never been. Never care to go. Upstate New York, yep. A sardine can of people, no thanks. The Bronx, just... no.

Big Ten only has the Mayo Bowl in 2020, 22, and 24

I didn't think that the Big Ten had the Mayo Bowl this year but, after seeing that prediction, thought the bowl may have had the option of picking a Big Ten team. Now I think it was just a faulty prediction.

Top Bottom