Weber starts next year guaranteed

Weber tends to stare down the primary reciever and starts aiming it after a reciever drops a couple trying to be to perfect. He has been good at times, he has been terrible at times. Decker made him better but also made him more confident which made him better. Stoudermire dropped a couple and looked bad doing it. I am just not sure he has the hands to be a Big Ten receiver. He has great speed and physical ability but I just don't know about being a receiver.

Let's not forget McKnight only picked up football as a junior in HS. He's a basketball player learning how to play reciever. If you look at just his performance and consider nothing else you'd be rightfully scratching your head. But if you consider the learning curve, and allow for mistakes and view the talent that's emerging you'd be freaking out about his potential. I know I am. He's Wheelwright II with more talent and only a soph.

Gray

Everyone (me included) usually roots for the backup quarterback when the starter is struggling. However, Gray's interception during the Iowa game was not because of an overthrow due to rust, nor was it for reading a different coverage and throwing to the wrong spot. He never saw the linebacker that was 10 yards directly in front of him. That is not the sign of a QB that is ready for a starting role. Yes it is only one throw, and yes it isn't fare since Gray hasn't had more than a play here and there. However Brewster's comments on the radio Sunday about Gray getting more time at WR during the bowl practices indicates Weber is the man. Maybe Allipate is ready for the backup role, based on his practice time this year - Who knows. Lastly Weber improved a lot from his first year in the spread to the second when he and the coaching staff sat down and reviewed every play on film in the off season. I suspect that will hapen again and he will play better next year.

Everyone (me included) usually roots for the backup quarterback when the starter is struggling. However, Gray's interception during the Iowa game was not because of an overthrow due to rust, nor was it for reading a different coverage and throwing to the wrong spot. He never saw the linebacker that was 10 yards directly in front of him. That is not the sign of a QB that is ready for a starting role. Yes it is only one throw, and yes it isn't fare since Gray hasn't had more than a play here and there. However Brewster's comments on the radio Sunday about Gray getting more time at WR during the bowl practices indicates Weber is the man. Maybe Allipate is ready for the backup role, based on his practice time this year - Who knows. Lastly Weber improved a lot from his first year in the spread to the second when he and the coaching staff sat down and reviewed every play on film in the off season. I suspect that will hapen again and he will play better next year.

Speaking of that play, please tell me a receiver ran the wrong route. If not, that was a poorly designed play where no receivers were sent deep on that side to take some of the d-backs with them and they were all able to cluster right there.

Speaking of that play, please tell me a receiver ran the wrong route. If not, that was a poorly designed play where no receivers were sent deep on that side to take some of the d-backs with them and they were all able to cluster right there.

I really think a serious problem has been receivers route running. I'm really not suprised at the ineffectiveness of the passing game due to the fact we have young receivers reading a coverage on the fly, while the QB is also reading the coverages on the fly while under duress. Nobody is on the same page, that's why Weber and Decker were so hot early in the year and why it seemed Weber would lock onto Decker. They were both reading the coverages the same way and had chemistry when it came to touch passes.

A route isn't a single route in this offense, it's a read, if the CB is cheating inside, there is a route to run outside, and vice versa, and a blitz read and probably a scramble read. I would bet there are 2-4 combinations for every pass.

The MSU game by all accounts was preceded by an amazing week of preparation, presumably by all those young receivers eager to get a crack with Decker out. It sure seems like there have been more execution issues since then.

The play where Mcknight and Stoudemire collided was a obvious blown read by Mcknight. He was supposed to run a corner away to pull the safety up from Stoudemire's crossing route.
There were others where passes were thrown outside or away and the receiver ran inside. The incomplete chemistry Weber has with the young guys showed up on a few big plays, namely the Mcknight deep ball thrown just off the fingers of Mcknight, the Stoudemire fade, and the Allen seam pass where the kid cut the route short.

There were some bad throws, but overall the frustration I think everyone saw by Weber on the sidelines late was probably due to not being on the same page with any receivers combined with the voracious pass rush all game.

This is getting absolutely absurd. Not just this thread, but the whole Weber debate in general. I've been in the stands having meltdowns about terrible throws and choices made by Weber. I'm not here to be a Weber apologist and have never been. I think he left a ton of plays on the field this year, at least several each game. I also think poor offensive line play, an anemic running game and dropped passes left plays on the field as well at time. The offense, as a unit, was often inept. As the quarterback, Weber is a major part of this, but is hardly deserving of the amount of blame heaped on him. To be frank, if I had to blame a single individual for the problems the offense had this season, it would probably be Jedd Fisch, but that's another tangent for another time.

Coach Brewster understands that he will be measured by winning. If Gray, at any point this year, gave the Gophers the best chance to win, he would have been playing significantly more. There's no way Coach Brewster left wins on the table out of some loyalty to Weber, a young man he didn't even recruit. By all accounts, the team is still solidly behind Weber. If they felt that there was someone else on the team that was more qualified and gave them a better chance to win, there would be significant problems within the team. That is not happening, because the coaches and the players all understand that Weber is giving them their best chance to win. Make jokes all you want, but that's where the program is right now. It's may not be ideal, it may not make you happy, you may be in denial and not want to admit it, but over the course of the entire season - not just one drive or one quarter - Weber was the best the program had to put under center.

If Gray, Alipate, Lueck, etc. give the Gophers the best chance to win going into 2010, they will play and Weber will sit. If the coaches know it, the players know it, there will be no options but to make the switch. Everyone in Maroon and Gold wants to win as many games as possible, and whatever lineup makes that possible will take the field.

Anyone who says they will stop attending games, chant "Fire Brewster," stop watching games or anything like this if Adam Weber is the QB next year is delusional. The only way saying this makes any sense is if you attend practices, meetings, workouts and see - from the perspective of the staff, the players and those who are with these guys all the time - that there is a clear alternative that would be an improvement.

Short story long, I know, but here's the one-line recap: Adam Weber will be the starter until there is someone who can do a better job.

If Gray, at any point this year, gave the Gophers the best chance to win, he would have been playing significantly more.

Great. Here we go again with this.

You're right. Coaches never make mistakes. Every decision they make is above reproach. Both of these conditions work in tandem to ensure their nonpareil job security.

Oh, the irony.

You're right. Coaches never make mistakes. Every decision they make is above reproach. Both of these conditions work in tandem to ensure their nonpareil job security.

I never said any of that. As a matter of fact, I believe I said I blame Jedd Fisch more than anyone for the offensive problems. He's still a coach, isn't he?

Gray is a Brewster recruit. Weber is not. If Coach Brewster felt that Gray could even deliver what Weber is delivering, not anything more, Gray would be on the field. Nothing would make Coach Brewster look better than for Gray to be succeeding. It would almost assure his own job security as it would give him the chance to say "Hey, look at this kid I brought into the fold, and he's just getting started. He's only going to get better!" If you don't think Coach Brewster has hoped for Gray to emerge as a clear number one, I think you're kidding yourself.

As I've said in other threads on this topic, there were points this season where offensive players were drawing out plays on their hands in the huddle during practice to make sure Gray knew what to do. Gray also had turnover problems on par with those of Weber. I understand the argument that Gray also adds the possibility of the big play, but for how many snaps he actually took this year, how many turnovers was he responsible for? I bet his "per snap" turnover rate was significantly worse than Weber's was, and this is further amplified by mistakes made with ball security in practice, of which there were plenty.

You can try to be as curt or acerbic as you want about it, but if the staff and the players - and I think the players are the really important part many people are overlooking - feel like the best chance to win comes with Adam Weber. If you want to complain that there's no one better on the roster, that's a valid complaint. To think that there is someone better on the roster and that this person is somehow not getting the chance due to ineptitude of talent evaluation or an unwillingness on the staff's behalf to put him in for some unknown reason, I think that's ridiculous.

I just dont understand this reasoning about gray, I like the change of pace and using gray everywhere, gray was 0-2 with a pick that was thrown right to the guy in the iowa game, if weber would have done that everyone would have his head on a stick

I just dont understand this reasoning about gray, I like the change of pace and using gray everywhere, gray was 0-2 with a pick that was thrown right to the guy in the iowa game, if weber would have done that everyone would have his head on a stick

Actually Weber has done it several times this year, including two returned for touchdowns in back to back weeks. I think the feeling from many is that Weber has had his opportunities to show what he can do and he couldn't deliver. It might be time to give someone else an opportunity because at this point it cannot get much worse.

Why do you talk down to everyone on this board?

I never said any of that. As a matter of fact, I believe I said I blame Jedd Fisch more than anyone for the offensive problems. He's still a coach, isn't he?

Gray is a Brewster recruit. Weber is not. If Coach Brewster felt that Gray could even deliver what Weber is delivering, not anything more, Gray would be on the field. Nothing would make Coach Brewster look better than for Gray to be succeeding. It would almost assure his own job security as it would give him the chance to say "Hey, look at this kid I brought into the fold, and he's just getting started. He's only going to get better!" If you don't think Coach Brewster has hoped for Gray to emerge as a clear number one, I think you're kidding yourself.

As I've said in other threads on this topic, there were points this season where offensive players were drawing out plays on their hands in the huddle during practice to make sure Gray knew what to do. Gray also had turnover problems on par with those of Weber. I understand the argument that Gray also adds the possibility of the big play, but for how many snaps he actually took this year, how many turnovers was he responsible for? I bet his "per snap" turnover rate was significantly worse than Weber's was, and this is further amplified by mistakes made with ball security in practice, of which there were plenty.

You can try to be as curt or acerbic as you want about it, but if the staff and the players - and I think the players are the really important part many people are overlooking - feel like the best chance to win comes with Adam Weber. If you want to complain that there's no one better on the roster, that's a valid complaint. To think that there is someone better on the roster and that this person is somehow not getting the chance due to ineptitude of talent evaluation or an unwillingness on the staff's behalf to put him in for some unknown reason, I think that's ridiculous.

You implied in the first part of your post that coaches do indeed make mistakes.

You then proceed throughout the rest of your post to explain how Gray would be starting if he were better. In other words, you leave no room for the possibility that the coaches could be wrong, and they're not giving Gray the chance to show that he is better than Weber.

So which one is it? It can't be both, because they are inherently contradictory points.

Why do you talk down to everyone on this board?

I don't talk down to anyone. The whole "the coaches can do no wrong" argument gets espoused so often on this board, and I simply cannot believe anyone smart enough to start up a computer, open a browser, type in the URL, pull up this thread, etc....truly thinks that way. I get tired of having to rebut this argument every time it is brought up. It has no basis in fact, and yet people build entire theories up around it.

Doll - dude, I'm telling you, as of six weeks ago (so maybe this has changed, and I'll concede the point if it has), guys were drawing plays on their palms like they were calling out routes in a pick up game just so Gray knew where to go and where receivers would be. That's not a matter of thinking the coaches can't make mistakes, it's a matter of knowing the coaches are seeing this and don't trust Gray to know all the play calls necessary to get through 60 minutes.

But that's it. I've spent a couple thousand words making my opinion known and I'm not going to get tugged into a never-ending back and forth with you. I've seen how long and drawn out those can get with other posters and would rather just hang up and listen at this point.

Doll - dude, I'm telling you, as of six weeks ago (so maybe this has changed, and I'll concede the point if it has), guys were drawing plays on their palms like they were calling out routes in a pick up game just so Gray knew where to go and where receivers would be. That's not a matter of thinking the coaches can't make mistakes, it's a matter of knowing the coaches are seeing this and don't trust Gray to know all the play calls necessary to get through 60 minutes.

But that's it. I've spent a couple thousand words making my opinion known and I'm not going to get tugged into a never-ending back and forth with you. I've seen how long and drawn out those can get with other posters and would rather just hang up and listen at this point.

See, that's much better. "Coaches don't trust Gray," while I don't know if it is true, is at least verifiable and can be proven or disproven. "If Gray were better, he would be out there," is not verifiable or provable. It is a flawed premise.

Thank you for clarifying your point.

So we all pretty much agree that both Gray isn't "smart enough" to remember Fisch complex playbook yet Weber & the rest of the Offense still looks confused out there somewhat as well? How about the coaches aren't smart enough to dumb down the playbook? Could that be a fair argument? Remember how Withers Defense always looked confused trying to run his schemes? I guess those were dumb kids too huh?

smh.......

DPDOLL, thank you for confirming why I rarely visit this board anymore. The stupidest voices always seem to talk the loudest. I seriously hope no recruits, players or family's are reading your delusional, uninformed, OCD rants.

Mods how do we block a poster? I seriously can't visit a site that had a d-bag like this kid posting 10-12 times per thread drowning out all reasonable voices. He has become this boards Loon/Wren. Carbon copy, all that's missing is "PREXY B!!!!". He's making your forum a joke, get rid of him.

DPDOLL, thank you for confirming why I rarely visit this board anymore. The stupidest voices always seem to talk the loudest. I seriously hope no recruits, players or family's are reading your delusional, uninformed, OCD rants.

Mods how do we block a poster? I seriously can't visit a site that had a d-bag like this kid posting 10-12 times per thread drowning out all reasonable voices. He has become this boards Loon/Wren. Carbon copy, all that's missing is "PREXY B!!!!". He's making your forum a joke, get rid of him.

Oh great, self-proclaimed MVP, please enlighten me as to how my opinions are delusional, uninformed, and/or OCD. Also, please highlight how they're "stupid." Thanks in advance!

I do not post 10-12 times per thread. But thank you for the exaggeration.

I am also not a kid. I've been going to Gopher games for over 10 years. But since my opinions are apparently different from yours, that makes them, what was it again? Ah yes, "delusional, uninformed, OCD, and stupid." Well played.

My advice, find the longest and ugliest thread and set aside an hour and block the idiots. It makes a world of difference. You wouldn't believe how different. And you miss virtually nothing. I didn't realize how useless they were.

My advice, find the longest and ugliest thread and set aside an hour and block the idiots. It makes a world of difference. You wouldn't believe how different. And you miss virtually nothing. I didn't realize how useless they were.

I'm guessing that you won't see this because I'm certain you have me blocked, but your continued pomposity astounds me.

Your implication in this post that your contributions are somehow more "something" and "useful" than others is simply hilarious. Thanks for my evening laugh.

Also, thanks to both you and the wannabe gangster for actually discussing the topic at hand.

I'm guessing that you won't see this because I'm certain you have me blocked, but your continued pomposity astounds me.

Your implication in this post that your contributions are somehow more "something" and "useful" than others is simply hilarious. Thanks for my evening laugh.

Also, thanks to both you and the wannabe gangster for actually discussing the topic at hand.

winkie-eye emoticon

Pompous?? Really. Just because I'm extremely beautiful and superbly intelligent you call me pompous?

The nerve.

Thus the problem with people on ignore. Other people quoting them. But it's always a good laugh to see Dpod calling other people pompous. Even if it is true.

Pompous?? Really. Just because I'm extremely beautiful and superbly intelligent you call me pompous?

The nerve.

Thus the problem with people on ignore. Other people quoting them. But it's always a good laugh to see Dpod calling other people pompous. Even if it is true.

I don't even understand the point of using the "ignore" function. It's so juvenile. It's the equivalent of the kid in 3rd grade sticking his fingers in his ears going "la la la la I can't hear yoouuuuu."

I hope when I get to 5,000 posts my contributions will be so much more valuable than everyone else's.

By the way, what made you change your mind? A few months ago you said you didn't have me on ignore. Considering your attitude, I take it as a compliment.

"My advice, find the longest and ugliest thread and set aside an hour and block the idiots."

How? Where is the block button?

i guess i dont understand why its all on weber? our wr's and oline have not been outstanding or even average! the guy i have been most disappointed in this season is mcknight. if he could catch we would have beaten illinois and iowa. we also would have looked better against sdsu! he has 5 td drops this season and they were well thrown balls. maybe hayo should have gotten off his ass and made it up here earlier!

This is a great point. McKnight dropped key first half TD passes against both Iowa and Illinois. The Gophers would have almost surely beat Illinois had he managed to catch the ball in the endzone. Had he caught the TD against Iowa there is a very good chance the Gophers could have won on the strength of an early lead and a superior defensive performance.

I don't understand why it is hard to catch the ball. In high school ball the WRs are less athletic but they generally have good hands. A good college WR should be able to catch every ball he gets both hands on. McKnight has cost us big.

"My advice, find the longest and ugliest thread and set aside an hour and block the idiots."

How? Where is the block button?

It's not as quick and tidy as it could be, but there is a discription on the first thread on top of the football forum on putting people on ignore. It really is nice. It's surprising at how few you need to add to ignore to make a substantial difference.

Personally I don't put other team trolls on ignore like GVBadger, and schlong, and really absurd types like my good buddy G4, they're fun too. But that's just me.

This is getting absolutely absurd. Not just this thread, but the whole Weber debate in general. I've been in the stands having meltdowns about terrible throws and choices made by Weber. I'm not here to be a Weber apologist and have never been. I think he left a ton of plays on the field this year, at least several each game. I also think poor offensive line play, an anemic running game and dropped passes left plays on the field as well at time. The offense, as a unit, was often inept. As the quarterback, Weber is a major part of this, but is hardly deserving of the amount of blame heaped on him. To be frank, if I had to blame a single individual for the problems the offense had this season, it would probably be Jedd Fisch, but that's another tangent for another time.

Coach Brewster understands that he will be measured by winning. If Gray, at any point this year, gave the Gophers the best chance to win, he would have been playing significantly more. There's no way Coach Brewster left wins on the table out of some loyalty to Weber, a young man he didn't even recruit. By all accounts, the team is still solidly behind Weber. If they felt that there was someone else on the team that was more qualified and gave them a better chance to win, there would be significant problems within the team. That is not happening, because the coaches and the players all understand that Weber is giving them their best chance to win. Make jokes all you want, but that's where the program is right now. It's may not be ideal, it may not make you happy, you may be in denial and not want to admit it, but over the course of the entire season - not just one drive or one quarter - Weber was the best the program had to put under center.

If Gray, Alipate, Lueck, etc. give the Gophers the best chance to win going into 2010, they will play and Weber will sit. If the coaches know it, the players know it, there will be no options but to make the switch. Everyone in Maroon and Gold wants to win as many games as possible, and whatever lineup makes that possible will take the field.

Anyone who says they will stop attending games, chant "Fire Brewster," stop watching games or anything like this if Adam Weber is the QB next year is delusional. The only way saying this makes any sense is if you attend practices, meetings, workouts and see - from the perspective of the staff, the players and those who are with these guys all the time - that there is a clear alternative that would be an improvement.

Short story long, I know, but here's the one-line recap: Adam Weber will be the starter until there is someone who can do a better job.

This is the best post on here about the current state of the Gopher Offense. Let's get excited about the bowl game and hope there is some obvious signs of improvement on the offensive side of the ball that gives us something to be optimistic about for 2010!!!

Top Bottom