Weber needs to be replaced

IMO, Weber is an average QB right now. Nothing more, nothing less. He makes some nice throws, but makes more bad decisions than he should and misses the occasional easy throw. But for those of you calling for a change, why?

- We are 3-1 and our only loss is a game we were supposed to lose.
- The offense has scored at least 20 in every game, despite the fact we had no running game for the first 3 games.
- Who is going to replace him? MarQueis gray, who has probably taken 1 snap from under center in his life?

Look, there is no question Gray is the future at QB, but it's not going to be this year. He is probably not even close to be ready to be a starter, considering we're trying to put in a pro style offense. The coaches are doing the right thing by bringing Gray in slowly and putting him in positions where he can succeed. Next year if Gray keeps progressing, then there may be more of a controversy. But for now it's not even close.

This is a fan forum, obviously people are going to have opinions on who should be playing and who shouldn't. Telling people that they should get hired as coordinators makes as much sense as the person telling someone to go on the field and show them how to play.

Someone left their sarcasm detector at home...

I think Weber's an above average college quarterback. I think he was better when he was able to run more, though. To top it off, he's learning a new offense. Who's to say Gray would do well as a passer in this offense (as a freshman)? Hopefully the running attack can repeat today's performance on a more consistent basis and that will open things up for Weber.

It's hard for people on these Gopher Sites(GH or GI) to just be Gopher Supporters. Instead, people think their opinions have meaning. When we lose, it is next to impossible to check out these boards because your feeling bad about a loss and then you have to read everyones doom and gloom. But even if we win, people think they know 1000 times more than they do and it brings gloom to an otherwise enoyable day. Take it one game at a time and enoy the ride.

This is a fan forum, obviously people are going to have opinions on who should be playing and who shouldn't. Telling people that they should get hired as coordinators makes as much sense as the person telling someone to go on the field and show them how to play.

Regarding Weber, what is frustrating is the lack of development/improvement since he came on the scene as a freshman. As a freshman he looked pretty good. Sadly, he seems to be close to that same player. I'd also like to see Gray worked in more and more.

You thought he looked better during the 1 win season than in the 7 win season? I'll give you that the end of last year wasn't pretty but give him some credit for winning 6 more games last year.

I'm fine with Gray being "worked in" as many have stated but as I haven't been to practice every day like many people on this board, about all I have to go on was that he was a good player in HS and he had a big fumble in the home opener. (And I guess he can catch the ball).

Absolutely not!!!

Weber needs to be replaced

You've got to be kidding me:banghead:

1. New offense

2. Bad offensive line, bad running game, not a lot of time.

3. Undisputed leader on this team.

3. Gray has never taken snaps under center.

4. Gray's strength is his ability to run, not his accuracy.

5. If you've watched practices it's clear who the better passer is and it's not even close right now.

The absolute worst thing this coaching staff could do, and this is theoretical cause it ain't gonna happen, is pull Weber. Gray needs to learn how to pass accurately. He needs time to learn this offense up and down. The last thing you want is a freshman learning on the fly, make a ton of mistakes, and lose his confidence. Gray has the opportunity to be a star if he works on his passing accuracy and touch. He has the arm strength and the speed to be elite.

The concern I had today was the pick and another dropped pick in the 2nd half were both on play action plays that he just didn't get the ball off fast enough. Especially on the dropped INT, our guy (I forget who) was open on the 10 yd out and the CB jumped the route because Webber waited for him to make his cut instead of throwing it to a spot and letting his receiver go get it. Gotta get that ball out, o-line held fairly well today. He can make the reads, just has to trust it more

I wondered

How long it would be for someone to start a thread like this. I'm fine with Weber, and then using Gray for a change of pace.

This just in, Weber is not perfect. We MUST have a perfect QB on the bench just wasting away that could come in and display his perfectness.

This is a ridiculous argument. Weber is not perfect, but he's one of the best QBs in the B10. Remember, he has a rough OLine and a patchwork group of runners behind him. Better believe the cowfeckers to the east would take him.

The better argument is that Gray looks an absolute hoss. What an athlete, deserves more snaps.

This thread is absurd. Weber is the man. Gray will have his time and I like mixing him in, but Weber is the best QB I have ever seen play for the Gophers by a mile. Good leader, good player who is doing well without much of a running game usually...he has played in multiple offenses, he is what, 2, 3 time captain??

How can you think about replacing him??? Ridiculous. Yeah, Gray looks nice in there and gives us something different, I like Gray a lot and I like Weber a lot. Good problem to have. IMO I would like us to use Weber/Gray like Florida did with Leak/Tebow. 85% Weber, 15% Gray, especially on the short yardage stuff and for designed runs.

How long it would be for someone to start a thread like this. I'm fine with Weber, and then using Gray for a change of pace.

Guarenteed if Weber either throws a pick, gets sacked or makes even the tiniest mistake in the game, its gonna happen. I'm hoesntly surprised it took until after the game this week. I think it will be up by the end of the game next week should Weber heaven forbid throw a pick.... we all know good quarterbacks never throw interceptions....

Whats up, is this the 1st and only QB you have seen????? We have to accept that Weber will be the QB this yr and he probably should be, because Fr. are not ready for the BT. That being said I like the way they are bringing Grey along. I agree that Weber is overrated as a QB. He eye-balls 90% of the time, he is late on most of his throws, and can't seem to throw on time,probably because he locks on so much, if the receiver he is on is not open, he's in trouble. He hit Brandon Green over the middle today way late, it was completed, but was very late. He has not improved in this area in 3 yrs., so I think what we see is what we get for now. The kid is a leader, so I hope this will help makeup for the technical faults.

These threads are both agravating and hilarious. You people need to take a dose of reality and look what the other big tens are using. They show a flash here and there but then somehow mysteriously weber ends up with better stats then most. The bottome line is we are damn lucky to have a quarterback as good as Weber. And no he is not perfect, but every time I watch other teams play I always come away thinking we're pretty lucky he's ours.

I love it when people who simply watch a game have such definite opinions about whom the coaches should or shouldn't play. Sitting in front of a TV set or in the stands for several hours a week certainly makes one more qualified than a coach who probably puts in a 10 hour day. Do you know what Gray does in practice? Do you know how much of the game plan Gray is ready to handle? Do you know when Weber looks bad if it was entirely his fault or if someone else missed his assignment?

It's an opinion board but I think I'll assume that some guy who has made it to this level as a coach knows more about his job than I do. Gray looks like a stud, but the coaching staff obviously doesn't feel like he's ready to do more at the moment. I don't think they need to see him throw one pass in a game to see how he'll do; and I suspect they've got some plans for him.

we're lucky Decker is ours. We have other good receivers that very seldom get the ball. I would trade for Kafka!

Kafka did look good. I think he might be my new #1 B10 QB. Having a tough time from there, use to be Williams but the guy plays like he's on ludes.

Kafka did look good. I think he might be my new #1 B10 QB. Having a tough time from there, use to be Williams but the guy plays like he's on ludes.

Kafka is solid but it has a lot to do with the offensive system he is in.

And to the Weber hater...I am in my mid-20's so please name a QB from the 90s to now that we have had that is better than Weber? Cockerham? Asad? Travis Cole? Sauter? Am I missing anyone?

Top Bottom