Weber lost this one... ALONE

Handsome Pete

Wartime Hero Fool
Reaction score
The O-line was fantastic in pass protection today and I mean fantastic. Weber's performance in the first half today lost this game singlehandedly. Anyone on this board could have made 1/2 the throws he completely bungled. Anyone also could have thrown the ball away on any of the "sacks" we suffered because of his inability to read a defense or execute any type of offense. There is clearly something wrong with his mind or he's hiding an injury that prevents him from executing at any level. His play today was a total slap in the face to his teammates, coaches, and Gophers fans.

If Gray does not start the next game, it is clear Brewster is continuing to hold him out only for his "better days to come" jive and to keep his own job.

PS- This one is NOT on Brewster. And, again, I commend the O-line for continuing to develop into a fine unit.

Fantastic? They gave up 4-7 sacks IMO. Three were on Weber and 4 on the line.

Pass in the flat to bennett

is a routine and "safe" pass for QB's Weber threw it 5 yards short. I agree there is something wrong maybe an injury, I think he has lost confidence in his O-line to protect him.
There were countless other throws today that were not even catchable. I hope he can get his mind straight again soon.

I disagree. First, Weber did not drop two interceptions. Weber did not give up 9 of 17 third downs. Weber did not give up 28 points and 350 yards to a team playing without their starting QB for most of the game. Weber did not miss a tackle late in the game that allowed Illinois a 42-yard gain, which would lead to the game-clinching TD. So yeah, while Weber was bad, our defense was just as bad and was equally to blame for this loss.

Also, in Weber's defense the Gophers had a bad game plan today. It was basically the Michigan State gameplan reused, where we tried to chuck the ball downfield every play. while it worked last week, Illinois just spent a week watching that film and was ready for it. We should have come out and tried to run the football today, because Illinois has the worst rushing defense in the Big Ten (and they're actually ok against the pass). Weber never got into a rhythm, so it's hard to put all the blame on him for the bad passes in the first half. Notice in the second half how Weber improved when after the commitment to the run and more short passes. He built up his confidence and was much better for the rest of the game. Our team would have been much better off had those adjustments been made earlier. Again, not saying Weber didn't play a horrible game, but it was in no way all his fault.

think its tought to put the blame

only on Weber, I for one don't, but you have to admit that there has to be some real concern with his play right now, whether its the game plan, WR dropping the ball, o-line not giving him enough protection. He had a great game last week, you would think his confidence is extremely high after that game he's big ten player of the week, was last week really a product of the correct game plan then or was Webers great play. I don't know, when Weber plays poorly the blame gets placed everywhere wlse by some posters and when he plays well he gets all the credit. Either way, next week we should only need a mediocre game from him to win. Maybe they will run 40 times and still win!

I disagree. First, Weber did not drop two interceptions. Weber did not give up 9 of 17 third downs. Weber did not give up 28 points and 350 yards to a team playing without their starting QB for most of the game. Weber did not miss a tackle late in the game that allowed Illinois a 42-yard gain, which would lead to the game-clinching TD. So yeah, while Weber was bad, our defense was just as bad and was equally to blame for this loss.

Also, in Weber's defense the Gophers had a bad game plan today. It was basically the Michigan State gameplan reused, where we tried to chuck the ball downfield every play. while it worked last week, Illinois just spent a week watching that film and was ready for it. We should have come out and tried to run the football today, because Illinois has the worst rushing defense in the Big Ten (and they're actually ok against the pass). Weber never got into a rhythm, so it's hard to put all the blame on him for the bad passes in the first half. Notice in the second half how Weber improved when after the commitment to the run and more short passes. He built up his confidence and was much better for the rest of the game. Our team would have been much better off had those adjustments been made earlier. Again, not saying Weber didn't play a horrible game, but it was in no way all his fault.

Totally, absolutely agree. You can add Weber didn't kickoff out of bounds twice, and he didn't have a horrible punt. I think Illinois scored on the short field after all three kicks. Weber didn't contribute to a pass rush that basically can't get to the QB. Weber didn't continuously leave the area between the LB's and the Safeties a No Defense Zone. I'm not sure but I don't think Weber made the call to try to pass on their 1 yard line instead of sending the FB into the line. He was horrible, but Weber also didn't drop the ball in the end zone.

His first half was awful. Was it all on him, no, but he does need to get rid of the ball quicker and hit the receiver.

Weber was 14/31 (45%) for 222 yds, a TD, and an INT

That's not acceptable for a starting Big Ten QB, and that's pretty much his norm.

If he didn't blow the game, would an average... AVERAGE Big Ten QB lead the Gophers to a win today?

Exactly.

The O-line was fantastic in pass protection today and I mean fantastic. Weber's performance in the first half today lost this game singlehandedly. Anyone on this board could have made 1/2 the throws he completely bungled. Anyone also could have thrown the ball away on any of the "sacks" we suffered because of his inability to read a defense or execute any type of offense. There is clearly something wrong with his mind or he's hiding an injury that prevents him from executing at any level. His play today was a total slap in the face to his teammates, coaches, and Gophers fans.

If Gray does not start the next game, it is clear Brewster is continuing to hold him out only for his "better days to come" jive and to keep his own job.

PS- This one is NOT on Brewster. And, again, I commend the O-line for continuing to develop into a fine unit.

didn't mcknight drop 2 td's? 2 well thrown balls that should have been caught. as for gray...what a pass-missed a wide open reciever about 5 yards short...booooooooooooo

gray will be the starter next season. he will look good and you will sit on the couch in your basement telling your mom you knew gray was better and we would have probably won the big ten if we would have started him earlier!

defense was bad today-mcknight killed us, oline play very inconsistant, and the coaching sucked in the first half. but we battled back, never gave up, and to me that's a positive change! a mason team would have quit in the 2nd quarter and we wouldn't have crawled back into the game

I thought the Oline was decent today. Not great, but not terrible. Weber on the other hand, was terrible. You will not win games with a quarterback who is as inaccurate as he was today. But we put Gray in and they call a 25 yard out pattern, which was wide open, and he underthrows it also. He fumbled as did Weber. So what's Brewster to do? He wants to run a pro style offense with QBs that cannot execute pro style offense. They were emotionally flat today. Not ready to play. Period. Bottom line, this loss was on Brewster - not Fisch, not Cosgrove.

My reaction to this: Hahahaha

You've got to be kidding right?

Weber didnt have a great game, but recievers dropped passes, kickoffs went out of bounds, the defense missed some key tackles down the stretch.

This was a whole team loss, and I put more blame on the special teams play than anything else

I think its funny that a Mason recruit(Weber) might cost Brewster his job. Mason has to be smiling right now. I think the O line play relatively well. Weber holds the ball too long. Weber is a third year starter, he needs to be smarter. I think everyone in the stadium saw the pick six coming, except him. he also didn't make his long throws easy to catch.

We could sit at our computers all night and pick apart every little detail of what we did and didn't do that caused the gophs to come up short. Its alot easier to state the facts:

we are rebuilding this team with a brand new offensive scheme in the Pro

We have first year off. and def coord.'s

We are a team made up of average talent at best in our junior and senior classes with more talented younger kids on their way up.

Weber does look good at times, but if he was always as good as he is in his best games he probably wouldn't be playing for the Gophers, right? Weber is just the way he is, he can make good throws but he has horrible pocket presence and has trouble going through his progressions, throw that in with weak protection at times and you get what you saw today and throughout the season.

More time with the new offense, give Jedd some time as this is his rookie year, boot Cosgrove, and let Brewster work his recruiting magic and we will continue to improve.

didn't mcknight drop 2 td's? 2 well thrown balls that should have been caught. as for gray...what a pass-missed a wide open reciever about 5 yards short...booooooooooooo

I dont understand how they use Gray. His only pass today is designed to roll right throwback left. His only pass attempt is 30 yards across the field, 30 yards down field? I dont get it.

this defense is wacker like

illinios kept dropping passes themselves

illinois is wondering how it didnt get 50 today

I think its funny that a Mason recruit(Weber) might cost Brewster his job. Mason has to be smiling right now. I think the O line play relatively well. Weber holds the ball too long. Weber is a third year starter, he needs to be smarter. I think everyone in the stadium saw the pick six coming, except him. he also didn't make his long throws easy to catch.

No...Brewster will cost Brewster his job by being loyal to Weber.......

Plenty of blame to spread around

Blame the coach's play calling, the offensive line, the defensive secondary, receivers and yes the QBs. And, oh yes, it would be nice if the student section would show up!

My reaction to this: Hahahaha

You've got to be kidding right?

Weber didnt have a great game, but recievers dropped passes, kickoffs went out of bounds, the defense missed some key tackles down the stretch.

This was a whole team loss, and I put more blame on the special teams play than anything else

Were you at the game today? Or did you watch it on TV?

Of course I was at the game. Have been for 25 years. Can you defend Fisch's play calling and he needs some protection?

Its not all on Weber. No he didn't play even close to last week's effort, but this was not all on him. I thought it was more on the receivers - they just could not get open, not sure if you could tell that from the tv or not. A number of times Weber would throw one obviously wide and it would go out of bounds and the crowd would get all over him, but sometimes he HAD to throw it there because there was no receiver open. Again, I'm not saying he played great or even good, but his receivers and his line didn't help him out. Neither did the play calling.

I think he tried to go for the big plays too much rather than just getting 5-7 yards..

I also feel that his accuracy on "caught" balls could have been better...we had too many players breaking their stride and/or twisting and turning to catch the ball...

I know you cant be perfect...

Its not all on Weber. No he didn't play even close to last week's effort, but this was not all on him. I thought it was more on the receivers - they just could not get open, not sure if you could tell that from the tv or not. A number of times Weber would throw one obviously wide and it would go out of bounds and the crowd would get all over him, but sometimes he HAD to throw it there because there was no receiver open. Again, I'm not saying he played great or even good, but his receivers and his line didn't help him out. Neither did the play calling.

If you were in the stands you would have seen the entire field and that Weber had at least 15 seconds on every single play to find a receiver, including a wide open RB or Tow-Arnett up the middle. On every play, he stood there like a dumbsh*t with no clue what to do. So he would float the ball to whatever WR he could find and it would either sail over the WR's head or far to either side of him. The OL was fantastic today. Weber cannot read an offense any more.

People can say what they want about the defense, but we gave up the same yards and points we have to almost everyone else all season. The BOOOOS were completely justified. Weber played a pathetic game. He might rebound but the question will always be, "who will we get today." If that's the way you like your home team football played, buona fortuna.

He threw late again today. If he would throw before or even as they break he would have time and the rec. are open, but if you wait until they are open they will be covered by the time the ball gets there most of the time today he waited until they had made their break and def. already recovered and wondered way they were covered.

Weber was 14/31 (45%) for 222 yds, a TD, and an INT

That's not acceptable for a starting Big Ten QB, and that's pretty much his norm.

If he didn't blow the game, would an average... AVERAGE Big Ten QB lead the Gophers to a win today?

Exactly.

Make that 2 TDs....one to us and one to them! :(

Top Bottom