We need to overseell the Student section

25mkg

Reaction score
By about 400-500 tickets. If they can't find room squeezed in, then they can stand on the upper concourse.

Yes. I think maybe there should be that amount available starting three hours before the game for students with id's (who dont already have tickets, obviously).

I know a few people who didn't have tickets simply because they could only make it to half the games (work, etc.). This also could contribute to an earlier-arriving crowd.

I agree. I think a good portion of those upper corners of the student section that are empty or loosely filled in are the result of students cramming more people per bleacher than official number of seats per bleacher .... especially nearer the field.

Many people are already watching the games from the upper and lower concourses. The concourses provide a great view of the game and you can follow the teams up and down the field.

I also think they should sell 1-2000 standing room only tickets on game day. there are wonderful spots on the plaza and concourses and up on top to stand and watch the game... Why not? Is there a fire code rule or something??

I had a similar thought when I looked up when we tied the game (when you'd think it'd be 100% full) and there were some spotty sections in the corners. Just sell 10,500 or 11,000 tickets...You're always going to have a few stragglers who are too hung over or busy or out of town to come to the game. Can't hurt.

I also think they should sell 1-2000 standing room only tickets on game day. there are wonderful spots on the plaza and concourses and up on top to stand and watch the game... Why not? Is there a fire code rule or something??

No. And ill tell you why:

We do not need to give people wearing red any more reason to show up hoping to get in.

This is why walk-up tickets need to be only for students with IDs.

No. And ill tell you why:

We do not need to give people wearing red any more reason to show up hoping to get in.

This is why walk-up tickets need to be only for students with IDs.

OK I'll give you that, so what about standing room only SEASON tickets???

whoever said the students are cramming in are absolutley right...both gamesthere have been people around me who have no where to sit

whoever said the students are cramming in are absolutley right...both gamesthere have been people around me who have no where to sit

Did anyone else notice that nearly all of those "empty" seats were full at the end of the Third Quarter and beginning of the Fourth? We decided that being crammed together with coeds would have been a great idea. It appeared though, that after a couple of hours of that combined with a 81 degree day many of those students decided to moving back to their seats and some "breathing room" was a better idea. :eek:

Cold days will probably negate any idea of keeping them "in their seats". I'm a lot more worried about dropped interceptions and bad blocking then the student section.

Grow up people. The entire reason there is Gophers football is because of the students. Knock it off with the criticizing of them.

If you don't want the upper corners empty, assign the student tickets specific seats.

Grow up people. The entire reason there is Gophers football is because of the students. Knock it off with the criticizing of them.

Did you read the thread, who's criticizing the students? They are saying that the students are packing in the lower level, so we can afford to sell the extra space on top to more students.

I don't think it has anything to do with specific seats. Made the "size" of a bleacher seat big enough to be made into regular seat in the future. Students stand and move close together. Therefore a little room in the upper corners. Seems like a good idea to sell another 500-1000 tickets to students with ID's.

I know football is not for everyone but this is not your parents metrodome! TCF Bank Stadium rocks!

Did you read the thread, who's criticizing the students? They are saying that the students are packing in the lower level, so we can afford to sell the extra space on top to more students.
That would be illegal.

So your answer is no, you didn't read the thread. How would it be illegal? Reduce the bench seat width, increase capacity, sell more tickets.
Because the students have already purchased their tickets. Those tickets entitle you to a seat of a certain size, you can't just decide mid-season that you're going to decrease the size of a space which has already been purchased because "students like to stand."

I was assuming that it was veiled criticism of the students - and not a serious idea -because it's so damn stupid. I guess I was unfortunately wrong.

I don't think anyone was necessarily saying that it was going to happen this year. Either way, I highly doubt that is illegal, or that any students would care except for the 500 more students that got tickets. They paid for a general admission seat, that's it.

I don't think anyone was necessarily saying that it was going to happen this year. Either way, I highly doubt that is illegal, or that any students would care except for the 500 more students that got tickets. They paid for a general admission seat, that's it.
Would you care if someone cut off the arm to one of your seats? How about an extra two feet?

Would you care if someone cut off the arm to one of your seats? How about an extra two feet?

Obviously the students don't care, as they have the opportunity to sit where they want, and they cram in the lower deck. Your solution is to leave the corners empty every game in case someone would look to stretch out over 10-15 rows?
Wait, I thought we were talking about how we are criticizing the students.

Obviously the students don't care, as they have the opportunity to sit where they want, and they cram in the lower deck. Your solution is to leave the corners empty every game in case someone would look to stretch out over 10-15 rows?
Wait, I thought we were talking about how we are criticizing the students.
Some students actually do care. I sit in the student section, it isn't nearly as crammed as some people have been suggesting it is, I think a fair amount of students simply didn't show up.

On another note though, why exactly is any of this a big deal? I've yet to hear one reason why it matters if there are empty seats other than "it looks bad." To whom exactly? How about we worry about winning games and not spend so much time bitching and criticizing the fan base, food concessions, and any other ridiculous thing that people find to complain about on here.

Some students actually do care. I sit in the student section, it isn't nearly as crammed as some people have been suggesting it is, I think a fair amount of students simply didn't show up.

On another note though, why exactly is any of this a big deal? I've yet to hear one reason why it matters if there are empty seats other than "it looks bad." To whom exactly? How about we worry about winning games and not spend so much time bitching and criticizing the fan base, food concessions, and any other ridiculous thing that people find to complain about on here.

Why dont you stop complaining about the complaining???

You are a f'n turd. If there are 10 more rows of seats available because of students cramming, why not sell more tix?? I would give students who missed out on tickets the first time a chance to get involved and go to the games. It wouldn't hurt anybody.

Why dont you stop complaining about the complaining???

You are a f'n turd. If there are 10 more rows of seats available because of students cramming, why not sell more tix?? I would give students who missed out on tickets the first time a chance to get involved and go to the games. It wouldn't hurt anybody.
Because there aren't more tickets. Those tickets were already sold. If people choose to not sit in them, that's their fucking right.

Imagine if we applied this rule to all sporting events. "Sorry, you didn't sit in your seat the entire game, we're going to have to sell the rest of your tickets that you've already paid for."

It's asinine. Use your brains people.

Are any of the folks suggesting these radical student section changes actually, ya know, students?

And "it looks bad" really is a piss poor critique when the students are the true consistent source of energy and spirit in the stadium.

The student section is not crowded (it is way less crowded than basketball), some students just aren't showing up, end of story. There is a good percentage of the student fan base that had no idea Cal was ranked, they had no idea who Jahvid Best was and they just won't give the extra effort to show up unless you win football games and generate buzz.

I think the culture is changing/improving though.

I actually think "it looks bad" IS a good enough reason to do something.

The wide stadium view angle that the TV cameras show during time outs, before commercials, etc. is right at the top of the aisle that separates the student and non-student sections below the auxilary scoreboard. The rows right in front of the cameras on national TV were empty. In a brand new stadium that is the second smallest in the conference and said to be "sold out". While we know the reason for this, the national TV audience, recruits, and our rivals fans wouldn't know this.

Everything about this stadium was done to make the program look good and to appeal to recruits and those that are currently not the "die hards". Having such a basic problem broadcast nationally many times during the game is a glaring problem that needs to be solved ASAP.

There are students that didn't get tickets. Not all students can or do show up to every game. Those that do don't need as much room as they were assigned as general admission. There is room for more students. The U needs money. These things seem to work together to point to a solution. The solution is the title of this thread. Let's get it done!!!

The seats were empty because they were standing in the concession line...that's all....

Top Bottom