We need a Stockman and Stull thread!!!

As someone who was openly skeptical that Matz could play in this league, I've been very impressed with his play and am so glad that he competed for the Gophers. I should have heeded my own words: size and skill are enough to get it done in high-level basketball.

As someone who was openly skeptical that Matz could play in this league, I've been very impressed with his play and am so glad that he competed for the Gophers. I should have heeded my own words: size and skill are enough to get it done in high-level basketball.

As I recall, you said he was too thin. He certainly is too thin to have been a dominant player, but skilled enough to be a solid contributor in certain situations. I saw him at the scrimmage in his transfer year, and it was obvious that he was more skilled than Gaston or Bakary would ever be. In a guard dominated game, the value of big men is being downplayed. I think fans and coaches in big conferences do that at their own peril. Maybe because I am short, I appreciate what a tall guy can bring to the game.

Re: Stockman - I remember an offseason thread where posters were proclaiming that there was no way Pitino would have Stockman sit for a year just to play him sparingly this year. There were even predictions that he would start and play 23 mpg. It was silly then and even sillier now (he averaged 10.2 mpg, still easily a career high), but it's nonetheless important to remember key contributions he made to valuable wins this year - A&M, Washington, Ok St, Nebraska, and of course Purdue.

As I recall, you said he was too thin. He certainly is too thin to have been a dominant player, but skilled enough to be a solid contributor in certain situations. I saw him at the scrimmage in his transfer year, and it was obvious that he was more skilled than Gaston or Bakary would ever be. In a guard dominated game, the value of big men is being downplayed. I think fans and coaches in big conferences do that at their own peril. Maybe because I am short, I appreciate what a tall guy can bring to the game.

You and me both, Padre!

Top Bottom