We have seen some leave, who will be the first one joining?

007gopherfan

Reaction score
Assuming Christie, Garcia, Hawkins, Mitchell, Betts, Keinys stay,

My top 5 would be:

1) Cade Tyson - SF - Belmont
2) Brandon Garrison - C Oklahoma St (coach was let go)
3) Jevon Porter - C - Pepperdine
4) Makaih Williams - PG - UT-Arlington (45% 3's as freshman) Make good pair with Asuma to backup Hawkins
5) Andrew Morgan would then be nice depth to add

Should realistically have a chance at all of them, maybe not Brandon Garrison.

Depth Chart then be
C- Garrison, Porter, Morgan
PF - Garcia, Porter, Grove, Morgan
SF- (Fox?),Tyson, Betts, Keiny's, Reader
SG- Christie, Mitchell
PG - Hawkins, Williams, Asuma, Purcell

Be a strong and more deep team. Cmon coach! Lets land a Gopher!

Serious question: If you are the AD...if it is true they just had their team meeting last night and four guys are already in the portal...are you letting Ben promise scholarships to any incoming transfers?

In other words, until I am very confident that Christie, Hawkins and Garcia are staying...three years in, we would be pretty close to completely starting over once again and I can't sign off on that as AD and let Ben do a do over...can I?

Last edited:

My top 5 would be:

4) Makaih Williams - PG - UT-Arlington (45% 3's as freshman) Make good pair with Asuma to backup Hawkins

Depth Chart then be
SG- Christie, Mitchell

Getting Garrison or Porter might be tough but we could at least make contact. Mitchell might be able to talk with Porter. They did play together for one year. We probably could get by with splitting the center job between Morgan and another big man.

Serious question: If you are the AD...if it is true they just had their team meeting last night and four guys are already in the portal...are you letting Ben promise scholarships to any incoming transfers?

I don’t think the players leaving dictates that, unless it was a wholesale mutiny, especially as arguably your team MVP emphatically stated he was returning.

If Ben was going to be fired it would likely have happened already. You can’t handcuff him.

I don’t think the players leaving dictates that, unless it was a wholesale mutiny, especially as arguably your team MVP emphatically stated he was returning.

If Ben was going to be fired it would likely have happened already. You can’t handcuff him.
An excited Hawkins was two weeks ago...kids change their minds....nobody had left. I'm just saying as AD I need to know where those three are at post four guys in the portal...plus one contemplating retirement.
That'd be five guys to replace.

Doesn't the buyout actually drop on April 1st though? (I'm not saying he will be fired)

Also can someone please layout what Ben's contract looks like with buyout included?

Doesn't the buyout actually drop on April 1st though? (I'm not saying he will be fired)

I don’t know 🤷

You’d have to have someone lined up to come immediately as well. I don’t see that after the improvement made this season; also most posters are far more impatient than ADs

Last edited:

In other words, until I am very confident that Christie, Hawkins and Garcia are staying...three years in, we would be pretty close to completely starting over once again and I can't sign off on that as AD and let Ben do a do over...can I?
Honestly, I think the athletic department needs to be reorganized. Both the Football team and the Basketball team need a GM who evaluates, recruits and negotiates contracts. Work with the coach and build the programs like a professional sports team would build. Let the players know that they are paid to produce and if they can't produce, they'll be terminated from their contract.
The schools are being too timid. They are sitting back and waiting on kids to make the choice. If these kids want to join the professional world, then they have to also be held to high standards or be fired for poor performance. Right now the kids are acting like they own the company. Coyle has to build a sports franchise and stop thinking this is an educational institute.

Honestly, I think the athletic department needs to be reorganized. Both the Football team and the Basketball team need a GM who evaluates, recruits and negotiates contracts. Work with the coach and build the programs like a professional sports team would build. Let the players know that they are paid to produce and if they can't produce, they'll be terminated from their contract.
The schools are being too timid. They are sitting back and waiting on kids to make the choice. If these kids want to join the professional world, then they have to also be held to high standards or be fired for poor performance. Right now the kids are acting like they own the company. Coyle has to build a sports franchise and stop thinking this is an educational institute.
Not unreasonable and certainly approaching it from a different angle. Instead of being held hostage, go on the offensive. One thing is for certain, the current clusterf*ck sure as hell isn't working very good.

I'd say push it a little further. Take the media rights earnings and use it to pay the players. "It goes against NIL" they'll say. Well, so does most of the other crap passing as NIL. Screw it and sue it if anyone complains!

My top 5 would be:

Depth Chart then be
SG- Christie, Mitchell

I don't think Morgan will be that buried if he comes here.

I don’t disagree with your sentiment but we’re currently living in the worst of both worlds. The U cannot officially negotiate anything when it comes to NIL.

Sure you can if your philosophy is fire him yesterday, fire him now, fire him tomorrow, fire him next week, fire him anytime at all regardless of the circumstances. Nothing else matters as long as he's gone.

Sure you can if your philosophy is fire him yesterday, fire him now, fire him tomorrow, fire him next week, fire him anytime at all regardless of the circumstances. Nothing else matters as long as he's gone.

Ben Must Go!

that will be every program without deep NIL pockets..... doesn't matter who the coach is.

that will be every program without deep NIL pockets..... doesn't matter who the coach is.
I disagree....if you win it is going to diminish it. If you are Payne...agreed you can find a pay day.
Would Payne be leaving if we were in the Sweet 16? I'm confident Ihnen, Carrington and Ola Joseph are not going to make a significantly higher amount than Dinkytown was offering. It's the losing and whatever their grievanances about playing time and utilization .... that's the biggest factor imo for them to move on. They are not happy for reasons other than money.

I disagree....if you win it is going to diminish it. If you are Payne...agreed you can find a pay day.
Would Payne be leaving if we were in the Sweet 16? I'm confident Ihnen, Carrington and Ola Joseph are not going to make a significantly higher amount than Dinkytown was offering. It's the losing and whatever their grievanances about playing time and utilization .... that's the biggest factor imo for them to move on. They are not happy for reasons other than money.
THIS! Selling is all about differential advantage. What do we have to offer at present versus other high major programs? Playing time- that's typically a magnet for the average player. The other thing that could be offered is money. We currently don't offer a believable winning story. Winning draws the most competitive players.

Top Bottom