We find out a lot about Coyle this upcoming week.

Miles Tarver

Reaction score
We will find out quite a bit about Coyle and what kind of AD he is this week.

If he lets Claeys stay he shows us he is completely ok with mediocrity. He's ok with a team that will win a handful of games each year and can have a decent year when the schedule works out like it did this year. He will show us that he is ok with below average attendance, a complete lack of buzz around the program and average to below average recruiting abilities and rankings.

If he finds his guy he wants and lets Claeys go he shows us he is serious about a winning football program. Go find a guy that can recruit, and bring some buzz back to this program. He has the facilities coming to help him in finding his guy and I hope he is all about bringing this program to the next level.

ROW THE BOAT!

Easier said than done. The admin better open up the checkbook and be prepared to pony up some cabbage.

Easier said than done. The admin better open up the checkbook and be prepared to pony up some cabbage.

I agree but to get a guy like Fleck you don't have to pay him big time money to start. Give him a hefty raise from WMU and the keys to the program. It can work

If they don't have a guy with at least a handshake deal for them to coach, you are forced to stick with TC. We can't do a coaching search at this point. Either he has Fleck or Bohl on board now or we are stuck with TC or, worse, Brewster 2.0.

I agree but to get a guy like Fleck you don't have to pay him big time money to start. Give him a hefty raise from WMU and the keys to the program. It can work

I have a feeling he will be more expensive than you think. 2.5M/yr might be the floor to get him.

Agreed. We need to step up and make a change. TC is a good DC but is over his head as a HC. He has demonstrated that he can not make the 1/2 time adjustments to win and their play calling and clock management are horrendous. If the U wants to compete with the big boys we need an inspirational leader.

If they don't have a guy with at least a handshake deal for them to coach, you are forced to stick with TC. We can't do a coaching search at this point. Either he has Fleck or Bohl on board now or we are stuck with TC or, worse, Brewster 2.0.

Fleck could be the next Beckman, and plenty of other MAC coaches have flopped once they reached P5 levels. I respect what Bohl has done, but he is getting pretty old and certainly no sure thing either.

If they are going to fire Claeys the secret list better be better than that. I do realize that Fleck is generally considered to be sure thing home run hire, and I am going against the grain on that. I also think that Bohl (or the current NDSU staff and coach) could probably we fairly well here.

I suspect Claeys might be just as good or better if he can keep bringing in talent on defense. Maybe he should fire Jay Johnson and start over on that side of the ball. We probably could have had Green the wishbone in the second half with a 20-10 lead and had better chance to win than we did with Mitch out there, and Jay Johnson calling the plays.

I'm just eager to see Coyle hold a press conference of one kind or another, which I assume he'll do either way this week. I am very surprised at how low key he has been. He's much more in the background than any of our recent ADs have been. That's fine if he's got the department going gangbusters, but with a football coach who is low key as well, Pitino is really the only extrovert in the athletic department right now (Lucia to a lesser extent).

Go Gophers!!

If they are going to fire Claeys the secret list better be better than that.

I suspect Claeys might be just as good or better if he can keep bringing in talent on defense.

Unfortunately, I think those 2 names are the best we can hope for here unless the AD really is ready to step up. As for TC - I think the issue is that the recruiting is getting worse - not better - and that is a huge red flag. The have not really shown an ability to coach up a QB, WR, OL in 5 years - and the talent we have coming in is worse than they were handed in year 1. That is why I would take Bohl - he coaches up players and that will lead to better recruiting based on winning games. I really don't know the sales pitch TC can give to his recruits on O. They just saw a potential 1st round QB pick (per ESPN) regress to the point he will likely be an UFA pick up. Not what I would look for if I was a top QB talent.

Coyle can't "sell" the program with Claeys at the helm. If he keeps Tracy, TCF will look like a empty parking lot next year. My wife and I will go to the bowl game if it is in Santa Clara ( 4 hours from Arizona ) This loss was hard to take. The second half was almost as sickening as the Friday night Michigan debacle in 2003.

This loss was hard to take. The second half was almost as sickening as the Friday night Michigan debacle in 2003.

Nothing can top Michigan '03 for me. The big difference being I actually thought Minnesota could pull it out all the way through to the end - and I thought AAK could will them to a win. I knew we were going to lose this one a few plays into the 2nd half. It just had all the signs of a meltdown and I have ZERO faith in ML.

Unfortunately, I think those 2 names are the best we can hope for here unless the AD really is ready to step up. As for TC - I think the issue is that the recruiting is getting worse - not better - and that is a huge red flag. The have not really shown an ability to coach up a QB, WR, OL in 5 years - and the talent we have coming in is worse than they were handed in year 1. That is why I would take Bohl - he coaches up players and that will lead to better recruiting based on winning games. I really don't know the sales pitch TC can give to his recruits on O. They just saw a potential 1st round QB pick (per ESPN) regress to the point he will likely be an UFA pick up. Not what I would look for if I was a top QB talent.

How is recruiting getting worse? He hasn't even signed a class with a full recruiting year as a head coach yet. And, the kids he "kept" and added who are freshman this year are very strong. It's November, not February. It's a long time until signing day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Rupert, FYI, a four hour drive from border areas of Arizona to the SF 49ers stadium might be a little bit of a challenge. (Tuscon to Santa Clara is 14 hours), so maybe we are playing in the new Tiajuana Bowl, which would be a step up from El Pasa/ Juarez)

I liked SF during the Cal game trip, so even though it will be cold and damp, I'll be there if that happens.

Maybe you meant San Diego, not Santa Clara. San Diego would be a very nice trip, probably the best outcome possible.

Look at Coyle's hire at Syracuse. They just gave up 76 points. I want Claeys out, but I don't want that! Hope he does better this time.

Fleck could be the next Beckman, and plenty of other MAC coaches have flopped once they reached P5 levels. I respect what Bohl has done, but he is getting pretty old and certainly no sure thing either.

If they are going to fire Claeys the secret list better be better than that. I do realize that Fleck is generally considered to be sure thing home run hire, and I am going against the grain on that. I also think that Bohl (or the current NDSU staff and coach) could probably we fairly well here.

I suspect Claeys might be just as good or better if he can keep bringing in talent on defense. Maybe he should fire Jay Johnson and start over on that side of the ball. We probably could have had Green the wishbone in the second half with a 20-10 lead and had better chance to win than we did with Mitch out there, and Jay Johnson calling the plays.

The MAC has also produced phenomenal coaches, Urban Meyer being one.

Nothing can top Michigan '03 for me. The big difference being I actually thought Minnesota could pull it out all the way through to the end - and I thought AAK could will them to a win. I knew we were going to lose this one a few plays into the 2nd half. It just had all the signs of a meltdown and I have ZERO faith in ML.

If Curtese Poole keeps his balance, we win the Little Brown Jug in 2003. We had a hell of an offense in 2003. In 2016 we have a hell of a defense. Our offense is now a work in progress. 1st year head coach and 1st year Offensive Coordinator, and people expect results like Saban delivered in Tuscaloosa. So consider this, "Why did Nick Saban leave MSU for Alabama?"

We are going to find nothing out about Coyle this week.

No AD in their right mind would fire Claeys after this season. Even if he didn't like him, going 8-4 backed Coyle into a corner. Claeys will be extended because it is the ONLY logical choice.

If Claeys went 6-6 or 7-5, we might. There is no chance Coyle fires an 8-4 coach. None.

No AD in their right mind would fire Claeys after this season. Even if he didn't like him, going 8-4 backed Coyle into a corner. Claeys will be extended because it is the ONLY logical choice.

If Claeys went 6-6 or 7-5, we might. There is no chance Coyle fires an 8-4 coach. None.

Fun to rant and complain about but I too, will be absolutely shocked if Tracy Claeys is fired.

Would u be willing to bet your life on that?...I think it is 50/50...Money talks in major college athletics...His buyout is very low and he has done nothing to energize an already apathetic fan base to buy tickets.

Kind of like a new AD wouldn't fire Tubby Smith after making it to the round of 32? Because it was the 6th year of the program, the ceiling had been reached, and recruiting was trending downward?

Kind of like a new AD wouldn't fire Tubby Smith after making it to the round of 32? Because it was the 6th year of the program, the ceiling had been reached, and recruiting was trending downward?

It's actually nothing like that. How do you assume our recruiting is trending in any direction?

He has a half class last year - - our best in my lifetime.

And we haven't finished our class this year.

If you are ONLY looking at rankings, maybe we could fill up a couple of those Brewster classes to make you happy. Those played out well on the field.

Except there aren't four 4-star/5-star instate recruits that Claeys is going to miss out on because of lackadaisical recruiting.

Unless Coyle has an ace up his sleeve which I doubt, I'm guessing he does the low-ball extension with Claeys. It's probably the safest bet for him. If Claeys is successful, he made the right call. If Claeys flops, he gave him a chance without costing the U much money.

Would u be willing to bet your life on that?...I think it is 50/50...Money talks in major college athletics...His buyout is very low and he has done nothing to energize an already apathetic fan base to buy tickets.

Our fanbase sucks. That's not Claeys fault. An energetic coach wouldn't change that (beyond an initial bump because it's something new). People hated Brewster and he was a great salesman of the University.

As far as betting my life. . . what do I win if I win the bet? That's how betting works.

I would bet an enormous amount of money that would put me in great financial peril if I were to lose it.
If the bet was my life if I lose and I get $1B if I win, done.

It depends on what I would win. That's how betting works. Care to make wager? You think it's 50/50, I'll tell you what, I'll put up $300, and if I win, you only have to pay me $200.

It's actually nothing like that. How do you assume our recruiting is trending in any direction?

He has a half class last year - - our best in my lifetime.

And we haven't finished our class this year.

If you are ONLY looking at rankings, maybe we could fill up a couple of those Brewster classes to make you happy. Those played out well on the field.

We were ranked 10th in the B1G last year, 51st overall, and that's the best in your lifetime? Brewster had one good class. Otherwise they were ranked similar to Kill/Claeys. As others have mentioned we've had very few visits during games this year. There is very little currently on this roster or committed for next year on offense that makes me think our offense will improve. That's my main concern.

The handwriting was on the wall on Tubby. That was not shocking. In those 6 years he never had a winning record in the Big Ten. He had no recruits of any promise. The core of the NCAA team was leaving. Not the same...Claeys is 8 and 4, still could win 9. We have only won 8...whatever it is (not often) prior to the 3 times he has been a part of it in the last 4 years. Limited seniors graduating, promising freshman class, and they get their recruiting commitments in December and January. A year at maybe 9 and 4 is only speculation if it's the ceiling. Shocked if he gets fired.

We were ranked 10th in the B1G last year, 51st overall, and that's the best in your lifetime? Brewster had one good class. Otherwise they were ranked similar to Kill/Claeys. As others have mentioned we've had very few visits during games this year. There is very little currently on this roster or committed for next year on offense that makes me think our offense will improve. That's my main concern.
Mitch graduates....Pirsig and Wolitarsky are the only other seniors on the two deep position chart. We'll be better on offense.

Did you watch any games this year? Our class this year, from what I've seen, has been fantastic. I don't care what it's ranked. Carter, Winfield and Martin have been super impressive. So yeah, I've never been more impressed with a group of true freshman who were getting PT in my lifetime. Can you think of any?

I am always on the side of the debate that recruiting rankings matter. Of course they do. But some of you people are obsessed with them. You are literally telling me that last year's class isn't very good because of how it as ranked and completely ignoring how they actually played.

If you watched the games, you would be excited about last year's class, regardless of the rankings.

2009 and 2010 were ranked 6th in the Big 10 and they were dreadful classes. They were ranked quite a bit better than any of Kill's classes. But that doesn't really matter though, because they were ranked better? Logical.

Why would you not think our offense would improve?
Alomst all of our offensive line is back.
Our two best offensive players (Smith and Brooks) are back
Probably our third best offensive player should be healthy (Lingen).
We lose Leidner - - I can't think you think that's a huge loss
We lose Woli - - - I don't think that is an irreplaceable loss.

We had a pretty average offense, statistically, and we bring a ton of people back. You should feel better about our offense next year than in awhile (IMO).

Top Bottom