WD-40

Indi1006

Banned
Reaction score
We need to hit our DBs with some WD on their necks so they can turn their heads and find the ball. Otherwise, love those kids they play their hearts out and tackled today like a bunch of studs.

I'm not going to pick on our DBs. I know that's been talked about a lot, but I think overall they do a good job.
Hopefully our receivers can learn to position themselves to draw more interference calls. Sometimes you have to sell it to the refs that you are being interfered with.

Yea they do a GREAT job generally staying tight with their man, but just can't make that next step of turning at the last minute. Hopefully that is the next step for next year. They are playing a lot better than many of our DB's over the last couple of decades, however.

I said this earlier in the season, but it appears that they are being coached to knock the ball from the receiver's hands after it gets there, rather than turn and look for the ball before it gets there. I'm surprised we haven't been called for PI more this season.

I'm not going to pick on our DBs. I know that's been talked about a lot, but I think overall they do a good job.
Hopefully our receivers can learn to position themselves to draw more interference calls. Sometimes you have to sell it to the refs that you are being interfered with.

Playing two TRUE FR at WR and a RS FR at TE really showed today, not to mention a true sophmore at QB. NOT having Engel was significant, we really missed him today. We played at Wisky's level all game but the turnovers and drops killed us and you can't win against good teams when your doing that.

I was concentrating on the receivers as much as the TV coverage would allow today. My take away is that too often our receivers just plain fail to get any separation from the DB's. The exception to this seems to be Dos Equis. Unfortunately, today when we had separation Nelson failed to hit them.

I was concentrating on the receivers as much as the TV coverage would allow today. My take away is that too often our receivers just plain fail to get any separation from the DB's. The exception to this seems to be Dos Equis. Unfortunately, today when we had separation Nelson failed to hit them.

I thought they got some descent separation at times. I know Fruechte did and we just missed him/threw it late.

As for the DB's, I do think the one PI on Murry in the endzone was kinda bad luck. It looked like one of our DL hit the QB causing the ball to float a lot more than it normally would have. But I agree, if they turn their head a few times we might have a pick or at least a knockdown.

I said this earlier in the season, but it appears that they are being coached to knock the ball from the receiver's hands after it gets there, rather than turn and look for the ball before it gets there. I'm surprised we haven't been called for PI more this season.

I think this is a reasonable assumption given that this technique has continued all season, applies to multiple players and is a method of coverage taught by some coaches. In fact, it seems I'm seeing more of this all over in college ball. Going to watch a little NFL tomorrow just to see if it shows up there as well.

I agree totally. This has been a great year already, even after today, but EVERY game I have had numerous episodes of yelling at the TV... "TURN AROUND, SEE THE BALL!!!!"

Even if the bump or the hold is insignificant, if the DB doesn't try to make a play on the ball it is open season for the referees to throw flags. The most important rule in passing defense is that a ball in the air is anybody's ball.

If this is the case I don't agree with it at all. If they just turn their heads and pretend to look for the ball its a lot harder to call PI because then they are considered "going for the ball" rather than the receiver. I also don't see why they can't look for the ball and if they can't get to the ball then they can still try to knock it out once it gets there. That's what I was taught in football. I played safety though which is a little different and I obviously wasn't playing at their level but the principles should still be the same.

I'll reiterate. I was not very athletic. And in no way am I comparing my skills to theirs. Or saying I could do it better. I just wanted to point out that I wouldn't agree with coaching DB to "only" try to knock the ball out once it gets there. Seems like a poor tactic to me.

I think this is a reasonable assumption given that this technique has continued all season, applies to multiple players and is a method of coverage taught by some coaches. In fact, it seems I'm seeing more of this all over in college ball. Going to watch a little NFL tomorrow just to see if it shows up there as well.

It's going on all over College Football and D-Backs didn't just suddenly quit looking for the ball, they're being coached to do it. Pretty tough to believe that it would be happening game after game without the coaches saying something to put a stop to it.

Don't see it nearly as much in the Pros because in the Pros face guarding is a penalty. It's not in college.

Pretty frustrating for the fans though, when they see a pass hit or nearly hit the Defensive Back who's focusing on the Receiver, rather than taking a look for the ball heading right at them.

Even more frustrating when it happens in the End Zone.

Top Bottom