WCCO: Former Gopher Dan Coleman ‘Not Going Anywhere’ After Real Estate Endeavor Collided With George Floyd’s Death

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Max:

Dan Coleman made a name on the Minnesota championship basketball team at Hopkins High School. He played for the Gophers and professionally overseas.

Since retiring, he has built a career in real estate. When he bought a commercial property seven months ago, he had no idea it would land in the eye of an international storm.

Coleman was a smooth-shooting forward for the Gophers. He is part of a family of basketball tradition, of which he made his mark.

“Great experience. I loved … playing in front of the home crowd and everything, and just everybody I grew up with,” Coleman said. “That was a great treat.”

While playing professionally overseas, he started to invest in another family tradition: real estate. Amongst his acquisitions is a building that features apartments, and he’s partnered for a restaurant called Dragon Wok on the street level.

He bought it in March, then COVID hit. Next came a bigger surprise: his property is right across the street from where George Floyd lost his life.

“Civil rights-wise, I understand everything that’s going on,” Coleman said. “But the on a different end, the business end of it, you know, from landlording and stuff, you know, there was a lot going on on this corner. People were feeling unsafe.”

Coleman and his partner in the restaurant, Rashad West, are trying to move the area forward, which will be a challenge. They want the optics to change.

“We’re trying to bring some happiness to the corner,” West said.

Go Gophers!!

DC is a good dude. Played against him in high school, and kind of with him in Howard Pulley (I wasn't good enough to be on the big team :giggle:).

Funny story- was at a house party in Highland a couple years back, and overheard a few girls talking about the super tall, light skinned black dude in the next room. Turned out to be DC, I introduced myself and told him to stop stealing attention from all the chicks.

DC is a good dude. Played against him in high school, and kind of with him in Howard Pulley (I wasn't good enough to be on the big team :giggle:).

Funny story- was at a house party in Highland a couple years back, and overheard a few girls talking about the super tall, light skinned black dude in the next room. Turned out to be DC, I introduced myself and told him to stop stealing attention from all the chicks.
Baby mama was a really hot blonde.

I also played against him in HS. I was fortunate enough to guard him instead of Humphries. I gave him some space on the perimeter and dared him to shoot the three...and he drained several on me that game. He seemed nice in that limited interaction.

I did score a 3 point play on Humphries that game, though!

I also played against him in HS. I was fortunate enough to guard him instead of Humphries. I gave him some space on the perimeter and dared him to shoot the three...and he drained several on me that game. He seemed nice in that limited interaction.

I did score a 3 point play on Humphries that game, though!
Was it the Classic Lake, back then? With Park and Cooper?

Park is still Park, but I think Cooper is a powerhouse now?

Nope, Minnehaha.

They had some other really talented guys on that team, Darren Clarke (St. Louis), Mitch Henke (Santa Clara).

And to make clear -- I have no idea what conference they were in. We were Tri-Metro, with De La Salle being the top team there.

Top Bottom