Way-Too-Early 2020 Top 25 (Gophers at #13)

BeerFueledFF

Reaction score

13. Minnesota
minnesota-golden-gophers.png

After a breakout 2019 season, the Golden Gophers have their sights set on another run at the Big Ten West Division title. Minnesota has plenty of staying power for next year, especially on offense under new co-coordinators Matt Simon and Mike Sanford. Zack Annexstad returns after missing all of 2019 due to injury but unseating Tanner Morgan at quarterback could be tough after he threw for 3,253 yards and 30 touchdowns. Morgan won’t have Tyler Johnson (86 catches) to throw to, but the cupboard isn’t empty at receiver. Rashod Bateman (60 catches) and Chris Autman-Bell (28) are a good starting point on the outside. Mohamed Ibrahim and Bryce Williams will handle the ground game with Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks out of eligibility. All five starters are back up front, but there’s room to improve after giving up 30 sacks in 2019. The question marks are more significant on defense, as tackle Sam Renner, linebackers Kamal Martin and Thomas Barber, edge Carter Coughlin and defensive backs Chris Williamson and Benjamin St-Juste have finished their eligibility. And after earning All-America honors for 2019, safety Antoine Winfield Jr. departed early to the NFL. The Golden Gophers play their first four games at home next fall and Michigan visits Minneapolis in mid-October. However, Fleck’s squad ends the year at Nebraska and gets Wisconsin in Madison on Oct. 10.

I'll be surprised if we're as high as 13 but should definitely be ranked.

We'll be unranked in the preseason, that's just how it is when you're Minnesota. But we'll claim #26.

I would be surprised at anything below 20th in AP Preseason Poll.. A look at the final top 15 this year will likely not show enough drop off to exclude them from the 2020 Preseason polls in the 1-20 range.

But, that's OK. I would rather be overlooked by the writers than praised ad nauseam.

Sorry, I’m sure this is well known to most of you but why no Becky on the last weekend?

Sorry, I’m sure this is well known to most of you but why no Becky on the last weekend?

The big ten decided they wanted to mix things up, no basically everyone's dismay. They left the Michigan-OSU game as is, so it wasn't fair.

Needless to say, enough people told them it was stupid, so only the 2020 and 2021 seasons are different. 2022 everyone's rivalry games go back to normal.

The big ten decided they wanted to mix things up, no basically everyone's dismay. They left the Michigan-OSU game as is, so it wasn't fair.

Needless to say, enough people told them it was stupid, so only the 2020 and 2021 seasons are different. 2022 everyone's rivalry games go back to normal.

Right, bc the OSU Mich game has been SUPER competitive - Obvious need to keep that on a pedestal.

Glad to hear the big 10 figured out where they could shove that idea

Thanks

We need consistent kickoffs as touchbacks. Think FGs, PATs, and punts are in a good spot.

Sporting News Has us at #12 - Top ranking for Big Ten West

12. Minnesota
“Row the Boat” some more. P.J. Fleck can build off an 11-win season with the talent the Gophers return, including Tanner Morgan and Rashod Bateman in the passing game. Minnesota's entire offensive line is back, though the defense will miss All-American safety Antoine Winfield Jr. The Gophers are going to generate a lot of buzz this offseason, but the schedule is tougher this time. A two-week stretch in October against Wisconsin and Michigan will be the turning point.

Sporting News Has us at #12 - Top ranking for Big Ten West

12. Minnesota
“Row the Boat” some more. P.J. Fleck can build off an 11-win season with the talent the Gophers return, including Tanner Morgan and Rashod Bateman in the passing game. Minnesota's entire offensive line is back, though the defense will miss All-American safety Antoine Winfield Jr. The Gophers are going to generate a lot of buzz this offseason, but the schedule is tougher this time. A two-week stretch in October against Wisconsin and Michigan will be the turning point.

I have no love for them, but I'm shocked that Iowa isn't ranked. They are consistently good enough to be a 20-25 team at minimum most years.

13. Minnesota
minnesota-golden-gophers.png

After a breakout 2019 season, the Golden Gophers have their sights set on another run at the Big Ten West Division title. Minnesota has plenty of staying power for next year, especially on offense under new co-coordinators Matt Simon and Mike Sanford. Zack Annexstad returns after missing all of 2019 due to injury but unseating Tanner Morgan at quarterback could be tough after he threw for 3,253 yards and 30 touchdowns. Morgan won’t have Tyler Johnson (86 catches) to throw to, but the cupboard isn’t empty at receiver. Rashod Bateman (60 catches) and Chris Autman-Bell (28) are a good starting point on the outside. Mohamed Ibrahim and Bryce Williams will handle the ground game with Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks out of eligibility. All five starters are back up front, but there’s room to improve after giving up 30 sacks in 2019. The question marks are more significant on defense, as tackle Sam Renner, linebackers Kamal Martin and Thomas Barber, edge Carter Coughlin and defensive backs Chris Williamson and Benjamin St-Juste have finished their eligibility. And after earning All-America honors for 2019, safety Antoine Winfield Jr. departed early to the NFL. The Golden Gophers play their first four games at home next fall and Michigan visits Minneapolis in mid-October. However, Fleck’s squad ends the year at Nebraska and gets Wisconsin in Madison on Oct. 10.

Based on the writeup it is obvious the author hasn't done a deep dive on teams which is understandable (not emphasizing Bateman more, St. Juste being done....).

Other Big Ten teams in their rankings:
#2 - Ohio State
#6 - Penn State
#10 - Wisconsin
#12 - Michigan
#13 - Minnesota
#21 - Iowa

Other notables
#16 - Auburn
Indiana listed as a Team to Watch

and finally Nebraska......nowhere to be found.....thought for sure they would have them in the top 10.... :)

I have no love for them, but I'm shocked that Iowa isn't ranked. They are consistently good enough to be a 20-25 team at minimum most years.

Little surprised by Iowa not being ranked as well.

Other Big Ten teams in the Sporting News rankings:
#2 - Ohio State
#9 - Penn State
#12 - Minnesota
#14 - Wisconsin
#15 - Michigan

As noted, Iowa unranked, Auburn #11, and the all important Nebraska ranking........nowhere to be found......

Based on the writeup it is obvious the author hasn't done a deep dive on teams which is understandable (not emphasizing Bateman more, St. Juste being done....).

Other Big Ten teams in their rankings:
#2 - Ohio State
#6 - Penn State
#10 - Wisconsin
#12 - Michigan
#13 - Minnesota
#21 - Iowa

Other notables
#16 - Auburn
Indiana listed as a Team to Watch

and finally Nebraska......nowhere to be found.....thought for sure they would have them in the top 10.... :)
While the write up has some obvious errors, I find the rankings pretty fair overall. #13 is about the highest I expect we will be coming into next year and I didn't notice any egregious Big Ten rankings.

Someone already noted the insane Texas and A&M rankings though. Those are woof

While the write up has some obvious errors, I find the rankings pretty fair overall. #13 is about the highest I expect we will be coming into next year and I didn't notice any egregious Big Ten rankings.

Someone already noted the insane Texas and A&M rankings though. Those are woof

Agree that both these rankings seem pretty close to where things will most likely be when August rolls around. Don't see anyway we are not in the top 15 to start the year.

#10 - Wisconsin - That's too high given what they will replace offensively. Their O-line will just reload like normal but those skilled players will be tough to replace.

#10 - Wisconsin - That's too high given what they will replace offensively. Their O-line will just reload like normal but those skilled players will be tough to replace.
We always say that about Wisconsin though, and somehow they always reload.

Texas being ranked that high is ridiculous. Not even sure they should be ranked preseason. Only been ranked once at the end of the season in the past seven years.

Top Bottom